PDA

View Full Version : Warhammer campaign ideas help

Minigiant
04-12-2014, 13:54
So i am planning a narrative campaign involving my Ogres from Nippon (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?401570-Kouta-Takeshi-Clan-Ogres-of-Nippon) repelling a repeated onslaught of Dark Elf raiding parties on the isles off the coast of Nippon.

So the Dark Elves are being piloted by my regular opponet/best friend and we want to do it right so fully painted armies and terrain. We want to bring in some custom special characters, scenarios etc

For the scenarios i was thinking about bringing in a weather impact (Inspired by Blood bowl) what do people think of something like this

2D6 before every game turn

2 - Thunderstorm: No Flying, Non BS shooting can only fire on a 4+
3-4 - Heavy Rains: -1" movement on charges, -3" range shooting
5-6 - Slippery Slopes: -1" movement on charges
7 - Clear Skies: No effect
8-9 - Tail Wind: +1" to charges
10-11 - Favourable Winds: +1" to charges, +3" range shooting
12 - Blessing: Can re-roll charges, all shooting is +1 to hit

So this can feed into the background of the isles and then i am going to write up some custom scenarios

My question is what ideas have you always wanted to see in a campaign?
And any thoughts or opinions on my campaign idea so far

EddieJA
04-12-2014, 16:27
I've played with similar rules before, and I always felt it was unfairly adverse to armies that rely on shooting. Sure, you can get some rolls that help shooting, but those same rolls also help armies that are trying to get to my shooting.

HelloKitty
04-12-2014, 16:45
People that want straight balance with no random element going against them will complain. Make sure that everyone is on board.

We've used things like this before. I typically try to keep results 6-9 as no effect which are the average results. Our last campaign was in Lustria and they had events similar to these.

N00B
04-12-2014, 19:43
I can see a few good games based on making a beach-head.

Take a point to represent the ship and a curve to represent the edge of the beach and apply a penalty to units that havent made it ashore. Give corsairs and fleetmasters some immunity to this. Something like cap on movement at 3". Each model in heavy armour treats the sea as dangerous terrain.

If the weather is to be a big element of the game maybe use a modified lore of heavens to allow wizards to manipluate the weather (Even just a second sig spell - 5+ power, reroll the weather). Adverse effects on shooting are not so bad if people know - if the person planning the invasion knows shooting effects are going to be weak then he can chose to take fewer of those forces with him if he chooses (although I cant think of any DE non BS shooting). Just be careful that you don't take an army that has cannons as the only viable tool for taking down high toughness/high armour multiple wound targets and then leave it utterly impotent.

If your DE player has appropriate models you could also write some special rules for new units for him/her to use those models with - elite corsairs in rare, fleetmasters that dont suck (and a version in hero/lords) and so on.

Maybe link it to a Man o' War series of battles as well?

kikibobo
04-12-2014, 20:24
I personally would like to see more varied results. I think hello kitty is right that as this is a per turn basis, you might consider changing to a 6-9 roll for clear skies. I'm not sure what other effects you could add, but this seems to be too much variation against shooting attacks (both positive and negative) and with all the bows a dark elf army might have, that might be problematic

Minigiant
04-12-2014, 20:49
I could add something like

Scorching Sun: -1 Strength

kikibobo
04-12-2014, 22:38
I could add something like

Scorching Sun: -1 Strength

Maybe. that seems a little bit of a stretch though.

One place to look would be the lustria campaign book rules. It is out of print, but it might be worth trying to find. It has rules for winter blizzards and jungle conditions which both follow similar logic as here. I used some of the ideas when coming up with my Reign of Chaos chart for a campaign I am doing with my friends. It was similar to what you were doing only it occurred just at the start of the battle.

One idea I used and which can be adapted to yours is a fog condition where you roll an artillery dice and multiply the result by 4. This is the LOS for all models for the turn. We used x3 in the campaign and it proved to be too big of a detriment, but again, my conditions effected the entire battle. They were forced to roll for LOS at the start of every turn, not an odd turn or two. So maybe x3 would work for you

If I were going to redo this list, I would change the list to something like:

2 - Thunderstorm: No Flying, Non BS shooting can only fire on a 4+ (you may want this to be just ALL shooting and/or magic missiles/direct damages spells)
3-4 - Heavy Rains: -1 or 2 to movement characteristic; -1 to hit for all shooting attacks (or decreased ranged if too op)
5 - Fog: Roll an artillery dice and reroll any rolls of misfire, and multiply the result by 3; This is a unit's max line of sight
6-8 - Clear Skies: No effect
9- Scorching heat: No unit may march (or no unit with an armor value may march)
10-11 - Favourable Winds: +1 or 2 to movement characteristic; +1 to hit for all shooting attacks (or increased range if too op)
12 - ? (I didnt really care for the blessed rules)

I hope that helps

Ograr
05-12-2014, 14:07
I don't know how long a combat turn is supposed to be, Real Life terms, but having weather shift from Thunderstorm to Bright Sun to Fog to Heavy Rain would represent some serious unstable weather, even if it's on a by-hour-basis.
In my mind, the battles on the table would usually last shorter than the actual game representing them so this would mean the weather possibly switching violently every 20 minutes.
A less odd option might be to roll for weather type first (rainy, storm, fog, sun, clear skies) and on each of those, have a 2-12 range of effects.

Minigiant
05-12-2014, 19:25
@Ograr: You are probably right, i am thinking i may make the weather pre determined based on the narrative scenarios

N00B
05-12-2014, 22:06
I don't know how long a combat turn is supposed to be, Real Life terms, but having weather shift from Thunderstorm to Bright Sun to Fog to Heavy Rain would represent some serious unstable weather, even if it's on a by-hour-basis.
In my mind, the battles on the table would usually last shorter than the actual game representing them so this would mean the weather possibly switching violently every 20 minutes.
A less odd option might be to roll for weather type first (rainy, storm, fog, sun, clear skies) and on each of those, have a 2-12 range of effects.

Maybe roll for weather then each turn roll a D6 and on a 1 it moves down one point on the table and on a 6 up one point?

Katastrophe
05-12-2014, 22:28
Do you really need a weather chart. Is it important to the campaign scenarios or narrative. Generally you'd expect generals would attemp to mitigate weather unless the weather effects are completely surprising - sudden storm from nowhere. Maybe just roll a d6 and on a 6 call it weird weather, then apply the chart for the whole game.

N00B
06-12-2014, 00:00
Hmm. Maybe day/night/dawn/dusk type rules would be better and the attacking player chooses to represent them choosing when to launch the offensive?

I do like weather though as I love the idea of a nautical/amphibious themed campaign.

Tiberius Frost
09-12-2014, 10:46
The only way you'll find out is by trying it. Like everything it will affect some armies more than others. Give it a go and see what happens. There have been lots of weather tables for warhammer over the years, Dark Shadows (Albion) campaign and the General's Compendium had some examples.

Leogun_91
09-12-2014, 11:36
I would probably go for pre-determined weather decided for each scenario when making a narrative campaign, some of the win-loss results for next scenario could then modify the weather (i.e.: defender win in a desperate last stand scenario means the attacks are slowed down and the good weather is lost forcing them to make a beachhead assault during rough weather or an attacker win calls upon Mathlann's favors and massive waves crash into the island to swipe away the defenders).
A random table can have it's place though, have a scenario when the sides fight in a strange magical storm that changes nature in horrifying ways as is the nature of the "Strait of Chen"* and a challenge is to prepare for these changes in that specific scenario.
For such a campaign a cool idea I'd be interested in seeing is rules for taking and freeing slaves since that would probably be the goal of the dark elf (though mystical artifact of power, strange alliance or vendetta would work as well).

*Invented the place now named after the eastern name for Tzeentch so don't think you missed some Nippon fluff there.

TheSil
20-12-2014, 13:21
It is a narrative campaign you say?
Does that include a narrative storyline which is advanced after each battle?
For this type of campaign I always found it most important to have thematic and varied scenarios of different sizes tied together by the overall story.
In your case this could include a sneak attack on an Ogre camp, a huge invasion of the main Ogre isle (following the scenario rules in the rulebook), an attempt by the Ogres to get away and warn other islands while being raided, a last stand of an important named character etc.
Each scenario brings different rules with it, even though there is no need to overdo it. Often different deployment rules and thematic terrain placement are enough. Sometimes its the victory conditions, sometimes the force composition. Sometimes you come up with a completely different system, for example rules for stealth and visibilty on the sneak attack or various kinds of skirmish encounters.
I once had a scenario inspired by 7 samurai where I had seven Chaos Ogres fighting as individual heroes against hordes of undead rabble scattered on the map. Wrote different rules for each oger, one for example had a smash attack that used a template, another was exceptionally tough etc. Encounters like that always spice up the more traditional battles of a campaign.
In any case, more thematic the scenarios feel the better. There is no need for random tables, as you can just say "This attack takes place under heavy rain, in the next one there is fog etc".

For strategic campaigns on the other hand I find it very enjoyable that both factions have a different feel to them and the overall strategic rules make them play slightly differntly. I also like managing your troops over several linked battles so I usually have all army lists and troops that are available for the whole campaign written in advance. After that I remove casualties from these lists as units die. From there on out its not only about winning a battle but making sure, that your most valuable units survive as once they are gone, they might never be replaced. Its as much about killing key units of an enemy army as it is to win battles, which means that uneven battles where a larger army faces a rather small resitance are viable and interesting. Can they sell their lives high enough for the benefit of the overall campaign?

Jind_Singh
20-12-2014, 18:52
Make the table D6

Roll once before game starts

Keep result till game ends

KISS - Keep It Stupid Simple

I've ran many campaigns for players and the easier the mechanics, the better the campaign and more involved players are.

Unless it's just a 2 player campaign keep your 1st one bare bones, short, and fun

Jind_Singh
20-12-2014, 22:00
My last campaign was for 16 players.

We had a painted Might Empires board - and every player had to produce three painted army tokens. 25mm round bases from 40k with a shield or other bit on for e.g. was perfect.

Week One

1) Establish Facebook group page and have everyone familiar with the rules (was a Word Document attached on a post, every player had to post underneath declaring that they had read and understood the terms).

2) Every player contributed $10 which we put onto GW gift cards, 4 $40 cards

3) By Friday everyone had to submit their availability to game the following week, by writing it up on the Facebook group page.

4) We painted a Might Empires Map

5) Players had to submit 3 painted tokens to show their armies, and come up with 3 generals (one per army token). Magic items couldn't be repeated between the 3 generals, but across the armies as a whole they could

6) Once players saw everyone's availability to game they had to declare their moves. Players posted, by Sunday, who they wanted to challenge - they had to pick 3 players in order of preference as well as tell us their moves.

7) I painted 16 numbers on the bottom of blank bases and drew a number, looked at the Facebook instructions, and that player got to challenge his 1st pick. Then I drew again and that player played his 1st pick. If a player picked an opponent that was already chosen for someone else we went to the 2nd choice, then the 3rd. Very rarely it so happened that someone wasn't able to get a game - but then we paired them up with someone to make a game happen regardless.

8) Players now had until the following week to play their game - and record on the group their results. Players won points for their games, and if they designed a custom scenario for their game they got a bonus point. If they played storm of magic custom points. Siege - custom points.

9) At the end of the campaign week they used their points to capture tiles, if they had beat an opponent it was cheaper to capture their tiles.

Other things

We had charts for character injuries (for the 3 main generals)
We had charts for regiment upgrades

All kinds of things - you're welcome to the document, send me your email - it was quite the good times!