PDA

View Full Version : From Fantasy to 40K

SuperHappyTime
07-12-2014, 03:02
Fellow Gamers,

Based on the popular gaming format in the area, I'm going to switch from playing Fantasy to playing 40K. I've noticed the two systems are similar to each other in some fashions.

Could y'all please assist me in making the transition? I've searched for threads that would apply to a similar situation, but couldn't find any.

Thanks,

SHT

P.S. A local gamer is selling his Tyranids, and that is likely what I would be likely to pick up. Is this an army that a system-switcher can use? Or is this a poor army to start with?

Charistoph
07-12-2014, 04:14
Yes to both final questions.

Tyranids have a system called Synapse. Everything within Snapse is effectively Unbreakable and Immune to Psychology and gets to ignore their own version of 'Animosity'. As a Fantasy player, you should be used to coordinating your army to access benefits from your General and BSB, but Tyranids have more than one unit to spread Synapse with, so it will be easier.

Tyranids do better in close combat than most armies, partly because their shooting weapons are often lackluster in range and/or hitting power. Fantasy armies often do their best work in Cbat, too. However, the system currently favors Shooting, and only Daemons are worse in that area than 'Bids in terms of variety.

'Nids are an army that use hordes to absorb enemy fire and monsters to kill with. If that idea appeals to you, they can be a great army.

A return question, if I may, what army did you play in Fantasy? What did you like about it? Would you like to keep that with your new army or break for something new.

SuperHappyTime
07-12-2014, 05:23
A return question, if I may, what army did you play in Fantasy? What did you like about it? Would you like to keep that with your new army or break for something new.

I played Dwarfs in Fantasy, and know the 40K mirror was the trope-namer for GW dropping an army. With Dwarfs I liked the idea of building a "bunker" and then seeing if I could blast my enemy down enough to defeat them in the inevitable combat. The "weakness" with Dwarfs was that success or failure in the shooting phase led to the game's inevitable win or loss.

On the other hand, I took pleasure in fighting the close combat phase. If my lone CC unit wasn't flanked, I had faith they usually won, even if not on the charge. Watching my Thane with a 1+ Armor save and 2+ To Hit rolls rip through one enemy Champion after another was satisfying.

And yes, I am looking to break from the "Bunker, Shoot, and Counterpunch" that my Fantasy Dwarfs played.

Jind_Singh
07-12-2014, 05:46
I made the switch and have loved every minute. I find that the systems are close enough that it wasn't hard to make the plunge into a world of round bases.

I also found that it took no time at all to master the game as we're long been playing random charges/psychic phases and what not - where 40k has only had that for 2 eds now so my mindset was more than happy to accept this as norm.

Pretty much any army is a easy to transfer your workings too, the armies of the Imperium being perhaps the easier to learn and master.

Nids are going to play in a very unique style and will have a sharp learning curve for a beginner as they need fine tactics to flourish. The army book itself is also overly filled with lots of bimorph options that again will take some time to master.

The biggest mental switch is that there are a lot more rules to remember during a game than Warhammer - as in Warhammer once you get movement, shooting, combat, magic it's fine, you don't really refer back to the rules unless a dispute comes up.

In 40k there are so many special rules for items I find that (apart from the ones I use on a reg. basis) I'm always having to remind myself what the rules do.

Eitherway you'll have a lot of fun with the game, and don't be disheartened by the Nids needing more learning time, being a bit more of a challenge to use - it's a beautiful looking army model wise and that's the main point in starting any force

Charistoph
07-12-2014, 06:47
The biggest mental switch is that there are a lot more rules to remember during a game than Warhammer - as in Warhammer once you get movement, shooting, combat, magic it's fine, you don't really refer back to the rules unless a dispute comes up.

In 40k there are so many special rules for items I find that (apart from the ones I use on a reg. basis) I'm always having to remind myself what the rules do.

Or in simpler terms, Fantasy is simpler with each of the army's rules and more complex in the game, while 40K has more rules for each army but the game has less rules to it.

Some may argue that because the number of Universal Special Rules has recently gone up by a large degree, just like Fantasy did in 8th, but that actually allowed them to remove them from the army's books (to which they usually added even MORE special rules).

If you are looking for a lower learning curve, then Tau or Space Marines can usually give a good run. Tau have very few Special Rules per unit and rely on their equipment to make up the difference (especially Marker Lights). Space Marines of any non-Chaos flavor are what 40K is based around, and they usually have a really easy learning curve and good survivability (think Empire with Dwarf stats and gear).

That being said, I know someone at my local store who is always talking about how "bad" his Tyranids are, but still regularly spanks almost any army he comes across.

Nids are going to play in a very unique style and will have a sharp learning curve for a beginner as they need fine tactics to flourish. The army book itself is also overly filled with lots of bimorph options that again will take some time to master.

Very true. It is quite possible for 'Nids to be competitive, but a lot of it is finding that groove that works for both you and the army and minimizes the holes in basic 'Nid design (that will not likely go away, they are too wrapped up in the army's character).

Jind_Singh
07-12-2014, 08:29
Another learning curve that's took a while to master...

Army selection

In Warhammer I take a standard all Goblins list and it has the chance to do well vs anyone. I've given netlists a run for their money and even if they beat me it's typically dice failing me at crucial times.

In 40k it's a lot more rock-paper-scissor as you will encounter a list from time-to-time that you can do NOTHING against!

Didn't take enough reliable anti-tank weapons and the other guy shows up with 15 tanks? Good luck!
No anti-air and the other mans got 5 fliers? Bye bye!
Nothing to stop an assualt based army and oh look, here comes the assualt based army??

The very essence of how lists can be built (with a LOT of freedom I might add) means we have almost an infinite number of ways to build an army!

I played at a local tournament a few weeks ago (1750pts) and someone had (battle forged list, not unbound)

Eldar
Dark Eldar
Space Marines
Chaos Marines
Orks

In his list! (and I think perhaps one more army book)

So stick with a solid all-comers list to start with that allows your army to:

Shoot
Assault
Participate in the psychic phase
Move to objectives
Allows your units to arrive safely to their destination points (be this meat shields to protect units, an over abundance of targets for your enemy to focus on allowing greater chances some of your units get through), or transports

Also don't forget the game literally opens up on turn 1 where as fantasy it can take a few turns to build up to the game climax.
Don't be sad when units die super fast - literally opening seconds of the game you'll see big chunky units curdle up and die! Where as in Warhammer unless you face lots of lucky cannon shots on your monsters generally speaking it takes a while for units to die.

WarsmithGarathor94
07-12-2014, 12:08
In my opinion chaos space marines are a good starter army for a beginner. As much as the webs complain about the army i have found while it dosent have a op list it has alot of fun and actually quite a bit of flavor. It also has the strengths of marines good armour good strength and toughness high leadership. The armys main weakness is we dont get and they shall eat their cake (and they shall know no fear) however we generally have a higher leadership and can easily get LD10 on a basic squad and thanks to one of the icons we have access to alot of fearless. Thats before we even add in the chaos marks. Also we have really good lore and our hqs generally are good

Liber
07-12-2014, 15:37
Fellow Gamers,

Based on the popular gaming format in the area, I'm going to switch from playing Fantasy to playing 40K.

This makes me sad. You don't happen to live in or near Los Angeles do you? :D

SuperHappyTime
07-12-2014, 16:35
This makes me sad. You don't happen to live in or near Los Angeles do you? :D

If 1,100 miles counts as near, then yes, yes I do :D. I'm pretty sure there are still a few fantasy players here and there. It's just a matter of finding them.