PDA

View Full Version : Anvil of doom / new magic

MasterSplinter
10-12-2014, 08:02
How would you say does it work with the new magic rules? Can the runelord cast the runes several times each, as other casters with the lores of magic?
Of course he would not be a loremaster in his circumstance even though he already knows all the "spells of his lore". I reckon overall the anvil has gotten a major boost if the runelord can cast several times. But still, the ruletext says he can only cast each rune once.

Tato
10-12-2014, 13:20
Even if he could cast runes several times, I don't feel the woefully nerfed and overpriced Anvil has any reason to see the battlefield, except for fluff. :cries:

Emissary
10-12-2014, 13:34
We're allowing it to follow the new rules in our group. It's obvious those rules were written for the old system.

MasterSplinter
10-12-2014, 13:45
Even if he could cast runes several times, I don't feel the woefully nerfed and overpriced Anvil has any reason to see the battlefield, except for fluff. :cries:

When it can be used like this i donīt see it to be overpriced anymore. 4+ to cast +1 armoursave, 5+ 2d6 hits S4... imo there is nothing equivalent to that.

We're allowing it to follow the new rules in our group. It's obvious those rules were written for the old system.

I don't know. The price tag made it worthless under the old magic rules but now it seems to be appropriatly costed.

Nice to hear both of your opinions!

Tarsus
10-12-2014, 19:59
Does the anvil count as bound magic? I'm pretty sure bound magic can be used multiple times, the BRB rules say bound spells are treated exactly like ordinary spells, and the khaine rules say the only exceptions to multi casting are 15+ and end times spells.

MasterSplinter
11-12-2014, 03:15
Yes, thats what makes me lean towards it being able to cast it just like ordinary spells. Itīs really odd if you go for RAW in this cicumstance, as technically the runelord isnīt a wizard so what about the cap of d6 powerdice for spells which only appliess to wizards?

Also, nothing to do with the anvil itself, but what about dwarfs dispelling enemy spells? RAW only wizards that dispell have to roll the d6, so it might be possible for dispelling certain spells to roll 6 dice and forgo on the dispel bonus of a wizard while dwarves could choose their amount of dd all the time while getting +2/+4.

Tarsus
11-12-2014, 08:58
When dispelling there is normally no limit at all.

There's entire threads about the fact the khaine books refers to wizards having a dice cap, still with no certain results. Personally I think all magic, regardless of source should have the same limits but the wording seems to favour non wizards getting the better magic phases.

Even with a dice cap bound spells are usually low cast values and doable on 1 or 2 dice.

MasterSplinter
11-12-2014, 09:49
Do you mean by saying "normally no limit at all" that wizards can choose the number of dispel dice? If so, the ET Khaine rules make it clear that also a wizard dispelling has to roll the dice. Under the current RAW i see it this way when you dispel: You choose to dispel with a wizard or with the army - if you choose the army you can pick a number of dispel dice between 1-6 (as there is no new rule for that) or you dispel with a wizard where you have to roll how many dice you could get but therefor you get the casters level on top.

I agree with you that a non-magician (runelord) should not have it easier than a wizard when casting spelle, but just as you say, it wont make that much of a difference for the low value bound spells of the anvil. Having a look at it again the spells arenīt that much better than other spamable spells for other wizards as they would get their +4 to attempts anyways. But still - nice to see the anvil has some use now!

Tarsus
11-12-2014, 10:55
In the BRB there is no limit to dispel dice when using either a wizard or an army, its not 1-6, it says no limit at all, second section in bold pg.35.

Khaine adds a d6 limit to wizards dispelling, but the wording makes it seem like only wizards get the limit, and therefore armies follow the same rules as the BRB. so no limit.

As ive said, i believe all casting and dispelling should have the d6 limit regardless, but Khaine does state wizards in all cases.

forseer of fates
11-12-2014, 11:09
Gives dwarfs something I guess.

MasterSplinter
11-12-2014, 12:05
In the BRB there is no limit to dispel dice when using either a wizard or an army, its not 1-6, it says no limit at all, second section in bold pg.35.

Oh, actually i didnīt know that... nice.