PDA

View Full Version : When does an Army become a Legion of Chaos?

SanDiegoSurrealist
12-12-2014, 20:16
My question stems from if you take a list that made up entirely of units from one of the 3 books that make up LoC (Daemons, Warriors, or Beastmen) can you still claim it as a Legion of Chaos or does it default back to an army of X?

The reason I ask is Beastmen and Warriors (Daemons not so much) seem to have gained some pretty positive benefits from this. So why wouldn't you want to?

Beastmen gain - Marks of Chaos, Improved Ambush, Eye of the Gods, and Reign of Chaos table.
Warriors gain – Reign of Chaos table.
Daemons gain – Instability and a slightly improved Reign of Chaos table (cant nuke own units now)

Katastrophe
12-12-2014, 20:21
When you say it is.

SanDiegoSurrealist
12-12-2014, 20:23
Sorry wrong spot, needs to be moved to General Discussion or Rules.

Scammel
12-12-2014, 21:05
When you say it is.

...and your opponent's cool with that (which I imagine they will be most of the time, especially for poor Beast players).

Rudra34
13-12-2014, 08:07
If you play full warriors or full beastmen, you'ld be a fool not to say it's a legion army. If you play full daemons, you'ld be a fool to say that it is.

moonlapse
13-12-2014, 10:05
If you play full warriors or full beastmen, you'ld be a fool not to say it's a legion army

Or, just, you know, fair-minded (in the case of WoC). If there's one army which definitely didn't need a massive boost (realm of chaos table) it's WoC.

RAW it's a legions list it you say it is, but in reality I wouldn't play it without including some mixed elements, just like I think a DE player who keeps the same list but says it's a HotEK army just so they can attack and shoot in an extra rank is playing against the spirit of the rules.

Thurisaz
13-12-2014, 11:45
Warriors gain – Reign of Chaos table.
Vs chaos dwarf artillery and plague toads to protect Scyla... well, the choice isn't that hard, especially for a Slaanesh player who isn't on fire about +1I when everyone and their pointy-eared mother has ASF. Oh yeah, there's Be'lakor too.

Rudra34
13-12-2014, 15:29
Or, just, you know, fair-minded (in the case of WoC). If there's one army which definitely didn't need a massive boost (realm of chaos table) it's WoC.

RAW it's a legions list it you say it is, but in reality I wouldn't play it without including some mixed elements, just like I think a DE player who keeps the same list but says it's a HotEK army just so they can attack and shoot in an extra rank is playing against the spirit of the rules.

Sorry, that was meant to be in a sarcastic tone :)

People who play to win, and for no other purpose, are going to say that their warrior armies are legion armies. People who love WoC as an army probably don't care that much.

I will play my beastmen as legions because marks give the army flavor and make it more competative. The RoC table is nice, but doesn't make sense to me in an army without any daemons.

SanDiegoSurrealist
15-12-2014, 16:17
If you play full warriors or full beastmen, you'ld be a fool not to say it's a legion army. If you play full daemons, you'ld be a fool to say that it is.

I like the idea that to be an "Legions of Chaos Army" at least 2 of the 3 factions has to be present. % of X, but that is not the case.

Yes, Daemons did get bent over ye old chaos alter. Even Slaanesh thinks it sucks, and he is into that sort of thing!
DoC getting Unstable would not be as terrible a pill to swallow if they were able to summon; similar to undead.

SteveW
15-12-2014, 18:03
I think you just have to have an army with eligible units, the lists are given in the Glotkin book. You can easily make a list out of just one book.

dms505
18-12-2014, 18:31
As far as Elven legions I was looking at a list I made of DE and thought. . There is nothing I want to change. But if I called it a HOTEK list all my DE gain martial prowess and fight in another rank. 40 hoarded witches then have 61 attacks, +10 if you toss an extra frenzy in there somehow.

SanDiegoSurrealist
19-12-2014, 13:59
I think you just have to have an army with eligible units, the lists are given in the Glotkin book. You can easily make a list out of just one book.

Steve, was not questioning how to make a LoC list, I have the book, just as a straight daemon player I get shafted, no reason to use LoC if running straight daemons.

I guess what I am doing is speculation/foreshadowing here...Do you think that 9th edition is going to make all Chaos Armies fall under Chaos Legion or do you think you will still be able to run straight armies out of their current books?

Malagor
19-12-2014, 14:10
That's not a rule question and there is a thread in fantasy general that discusses that.

SteveW
19-12-2014, 17:01
Steve, was not questioning how to make a LoC list, I have the book, just as a straight daemon player I get shafted, no reason to use LoC if running straight daemons.

I guess what I am doing is speculation/foreshadowing here...Do you think that 9th edition is going to make all Chaos Armies fall under Chaos Legion or do you think you will still be able to run straight armies out of their current books?

I think the end times will be retconned just like storm of chaos was.

Iraf
19-12-2014, 22:15
I think the end times will be retconned just like storm of chaos was.

I think 8th edition will be scrapped when 9th edition is released. ;) I'm slightly trolling, but just to show that everything is scrapped at some point. New books come out, making the old ones obsolete. When VC or TK get a new book it will probably cause the Nagash supplement to be obsolete, due to the fact the units couldn't be taken. Unless they had a stipulation in the new books saying something to the contrary.

May as well enjoy it while it is here. Or don't if that's your preference, but I enjoy the End Times content and armies that it creates.

SteveW
20-12-2014, 03:56
I think 8th edition will be scrapped when 9th edition is released. ;) I'm slightly trolling, but just to show that everything is scrapped at some point. New books come out, making the old ones obsolete. When VC or TK get a new book it will probably cause the Nagash supplement to be obsolete, due to the fact the units couldn't be taken. Unless they had a stipulation in the new books saying something to the contrary.

May as well enjoy it while it is here. Or don't if that's your preference, but I enjoy the End Times content and armies that it creates.

Retconed and scrapped are not the same thing. I'm simply pointing out that GW will most likely return to the status quo as soon as this event has finished just as they have every other time they do these things.

I suspect that 9th will not cause 8th to be scrapped as it wont be a huge divergence in the rules leaving all the books valid.

Lord Dan
21-12-2014, 13:17
I'm not sure how you can "return to the status quo" after this event. What are the Elves going to do? Cite inconsolable differences and move into different apartments?

Mr_Rose
21-12-2014, 14:46
Easy, you declare it to have never happened. Or to have been a "glimpse into a possible future" or something.
Just ask Marvel or DC…

Malagor
21-12-2014, 14:51
Or Marius Leitdorf wakes up and realise that his death and the whole of End times was just a dream he had.

Mr_Rose
21-12-2014, 16:45
Or go full nerdmax and have a coalition of Teclis and the eight Patriarchs of the Colleges of Magic send Karl Franz's ghost back in time to prevent the End Times by haunting Archaeon and making his forces lose faith by making him look insane. Or maybe sane? I dunno how that works with chaos worshippers…

SteveW
21-12-2014, 19:15
Easy, you declare it to have never happened. Or to have been a "glimpse into a possible future" or something.
Just ask Marvel or DC…

That is what they did with storm of chaos.

Col. Tartleton
21-12-2014, 20:40
I think ideally the End Times are left as canon but the official year in 9th edition is still 2522, just before it.

Regardless your forces are Legions if you elect to use that rule set and they're not Legions if you don't.

Lord Dan
21-12-2014, 21:33
That is what they did with storm of chaos.

It was doable with the Storm of Chaos, because the campaign didn't actually change anything.