PDA

View Full Version : Quick question about Spears in a unit

Dwarf Longbeard
12-12-2014, 21:33
Hi all, I've been getting back into Fantasy for a while now and am building up a Tomb Kings army and have hit a bit of an odd question.

I was going to add some spears into the army, but after reading the rules if I understand it right in an infantry unit the models behind the front rank are allowed to make a single attack; if a unit is armed with Spears then the same applies so I'm wondering am I missing something here?

Thanks for any replies

yabbadabba
12-12-2014, 21:42
Spears allow you to attack with an additional rank. This means that you get 2 ranks attacking as normal, with an additional rank of attacks for spears giving you three ranks of attacks.

Dwarf Longbeard
12-12-2014, 22:13
Thanks I thought it might have been that but thought I'd best check :)

Malagor
13-12-2014, 00:08
However you need to remember that the extra rank does not apply if you charged

forseer of fates
13-12-2014, 00:52
Not really worth it compared to hand weapons and shields.

Malagor
13-12-2014, 18:28
Nope and I think TK even pay for their spears which VC doesn't.
Still those 5 extra attacks aren't worth it compared to the parry save.

Metacarpi
15-12-2014, 07:52
Spears will let you attack in 3 ranks, rather than the usual 2.

Hand Weapon and Shield will give you +1 to your armour save, and a 6+ parry save.

I say go for the latter. Skeletons are there to hold up units, not to kill.

Senor
18-12-2014, 10:25
But when you go big, the horde rule give you 1 rank extra attack to 3 rank attacking on the charge and 4 rank attacking, when getting charged.

High Elves can go to 5 ranks, as they start already with 3 ranks attacking due to High Elves special rule.... FYI

Metacarpi
18-12-2014, 10:35
But when you go big, the horde rule give you 1 rank extra attack to 3 rank attacking on the charge and 4 rank attacking, when getting charged.

High Elves can go to 5 ranks, as they start already with 3 ranks attacking due to High Elves special rule.... FYI

But those 10 extra attacks (20 with spears) at what - WS2? S3? - are going to do nothing. You're much better served going for as much static combat res, and resilience as possible with those kind of units if you ask me.

At best it might be two extra wounds, much better hanging onto steadfast for as long as possible in my book.

In Dark Trees
18-12-2014, 13:53
You'd be much better served with hand weapons and shields. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any unit in the game that benefits from spears more than it would have benefited from hand weapons--aside from Elves under certain conditions. While they look terrific, skeletons are among the worst candidates in the game for spears, sadly.

yabbadabba
18-12-2014, 15:48
My Empire spearmen have done fine, and they can be quite rude with a buff or two. In the end it comes down to how you are going t use your army, and how the skelebobs fit into that.

jtrowell
18-12-2014, 16:30
But those 10 extra attacks (20 with spears) at what - WS2? S3? - are going to do nothing. You're much better served going for as much static combat res, and resilience as possible with those kind of units if you ask me.

At best it might be two extra wounds, much better hanging onto steadfast for as long as possible in my book.

Remember that with a prince or king you will have them hitting at WS5 or 6. Also, with the Undead legion rules, you can use the VC skeletons to get the spear upgrade for free without needing to houserule.

dalezzz
19-12-2014, 06:42
Orc biguns are pretty nasty to face with spears

forseer of fates
19-12-2014, 10:30
Spearmen are no match for halberdiers, S is better.