PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody else miss the 'old' white dwarf???

starbeam
13-12-2014, 00:59
Used to enjoy the monthly version, scanning through and reading up on articles relating the armies that I didn't even play, the future releases, battle reports etc. I haven't purchased any of the new weekly editions, purely because I can't easily attend my nearest GW store, and nowhere else seems to stock it. Hopefully they'll revert back to the bigger monthly edition again soon!

Greyshadow
13-12-2014, 04:42
Yes, I miss it. I think the weekly is okay, I buy it occasionally from my local that is not too far away. It has nothing on the Dwarfs of about three years ago, they were my favourite with good battle reports and those wonderful in depth 'Eavy Metal painting guides.

cornonthecob
13-12-2014, 07:30
Greatly, though TBF i've moved on to other gaming mags now.

Snake Tortoise
13-12-2014, 09:49
Haven't opened a White Dwarf since 4th ed 40k. I was always disappointed if there wasn't a 40k battle report and over time I got frustrated with them always going to script and knowing who would win before reading, but I haven't seen an online BR that matches the WD format for quality.

zoggin-eck
13-12-2014, 10:03
I miss various "eras" of the old White Dwarf. I don't miss the issues directly before the change, however.

(Actually, so offense starbeam, but there isn't much here that couldn't have been said in the WD general thread)

misterboff
13-12-2014, 10:21
Over the past few weeks I've been going through my collection (from roughly issue 300 to the end of the monthly ones) and reading the articles that caught my eye. Lots of cool terrain making articles (recommending non-GW items like plasticard and aquarium sand), and battle reports with maps!

Fars
13-12-2014, 17:50
I so miss the old one, it had highs and lows over the many years but it was always an interesting read.

Sadly I can't even buy the weekly release locally, I can't subscribe and have it delivered, i'm not prepared to pay to have it delivered and I dislike digital magazines, so not only do I miss the old WD, I miss the new one too.

Bael
13-12-2014, 20:48
No, I don't miss it and I like that it is now weekly. The articles aren't as good as they used to be though. Battle reports hardly have any photos now, and without maps it is difficult to understand what is going on. Painting guides are a joke compared to the old Eavy Metal masterclasses or even the ones done by the old hobby team. The painting videos they do on youtube are great though.

aprilmanha
13-12-2014, 20:58
I really enjoyed the WD's through 2nd to 3th, missed most of 4th, 5th ed went down hill, and they brought it back a bit during 6th though did not get as good as they used to be.
The weekly ones I only got a couple, they tend to sell out before I can get around to getting it, and the ones that ARE in stock when I happen to be on time usually are not worth buying.
Its to expensive and each article was done better and in more detail in the older WD's.

Captain Marius
13-12-2014, 21:08
I used to visit the local GW once a month to pick up the latest WD, cant remember the last time i paid a visit now

starbeam
13-12-2014, 21:12
I miss various "eras" of the old White Dwarf. I don't miss the issues directly before the change, however.

(Actually, so offense starbeam, but there isn't much here that couldn't have been said in the WD general thread)

yeah I know sorry! Still trying to get the grips with this whole forum thing! Wasn't sure where to post this so just picked where I thought best!

Bloodknight
17-12-2014, 11:45
So the closest GW to my location is a 250 kilometer drive and I can't subscribe to WD Weekly. The local newsagents has Visions, but I'm not touching that so basically since they ditched the old WD for the new one, I have not bought a single one. I used to buy the monthly WD quite regularly.

Ozendorph
18-12-2014, 17:07
Contrary to my overall opinion of GW's direction and state of affairs, I'm actually rather pleased with the WD (weekly) mags I've bought recently. They're a nice little read, contain rules and even mini-games, and at $4 they're perhaps the only thing in the shop I can buy without hesitation.

Lord Damocles
20-12-2014, 18:13
I prefer to spend 2.40 on the weekly White Dwarf as and when there's content I particularly want, than spending 5 on monthly White Dwarf, which was appalling by the end.

Of course, monthly White Dwarf with content worth the cover price would be even more preferable, but that doesn't seem like a thing GW could cope with.

Angelwing
21-12-2014, 12:05
The only thing I miss about the monthly magazine was Lord Damocles' reviews. It was truly awful at the end. The new weeklies, well at least its a bit cheaper to pick one up if it has some content you want, then you won't feel too bad for your wallet / purse.

Codsticker
21-12-2014, 21:13
This discussion is basically turning into this one (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?23972-General-White-Dwarf-Feedback-Thread), so...

Thread Closed.

Codsticker

The Warseer Mod Squad