PDA

View Full Version : to transfer my daemons to fantasy or not

WarsmithGarathor94
14-12-2014, 11:01
Hey guys so ive got a smallish daemon force which i use in 40k. Now im wondering should i transfer them to fantasy or not

Daemons are a fun and efficient army in Fantasy, I don't see why you shouldn't. You can play both systems with them, although to master one you should probably stick to that.

theunwantedbeing
14-12-2014, 11:12
They're going to need to be put on square/rectangular bases.

WarsmithGarathor94
14-12-2014, 11:12
Daemons are a fun and efficient army in Fantasy, I don't see why you shouldn't. You can play both systems with them, although to master one you should probably stick to that.
Il be honest im just not enjoying 40k anymore. I dont mind the randomness of the daemons its mainly the core rules of 40k

Scammel
14-12-2014, 11:13
I would go so far as to say that Daemons are possibly the best army in 40k in respect of options and facilitating a range of playstyles, with very few objectively poor units. I suspect I would personally have less fun using them in Fantasy than I do in 40k and that says a lot, considering how the core games compare.

WarsmithGarathor94
14-12-2014, 11:13

I know that ive got plenty spare haha

WarsmithGarathor94
14-12-2014, 11:25
I would go so far as to say that Daemons are possibly the best army in 40k in respect of options and facilitating a range of playstyles, with very few objectively poor units. I suspect I would personally have less fun using them in Fantasy than I do in 40k and that says a lot, considering how the core games compare.

Im not too bothered about power if im honest i build armies more for theme. If they want a competitive game i can just use my Dark Elves :p

Scammel
14-12-2014, 11:30
Im not too bothered about power if im honest i build armies more for theme. If they want a competitive game i can just use my Dark Elves :p

It's less to do with being outright competitive, more the fact that you can run a large range of distinct lists that don't automatically get stomped because you dared to deviate from the book's 3 best units.

WarsmithGarathor94
14-12-2014, 11:58
It's less to do with being outright competitive, more the fact that you can run a large range of distinct lists that don't automatically get stomped because you dared to deviate from the book's 3 best units.

While i accept the book may be harder to use than the 40k one i like that

MasterSplinter
14-12-2014, 12:08
You donīt necessarily have to rebase them to rectangular bases, do you? I am not sure , but the diameter of the bases used in 40k shold be the same. You could instead just magnetize the bases and put them on regimental bases which are magnetized too. That would save you some work i guess.

Other than that i wouldnīt recommend anyone to base them on round bases in the first place as its not a problem to use them in 40k that way.

WarsmithGarathor94
14-12-2014, 12:12
You donīt necessarily have to rebase them to rectangular bases, do you? I am not sure , but the diameter of the bases used in 40k shold be the same. You could instead just magnetize the bases and put them on regimental bases which are magnetized too. That would save you some work i guess.

Other than that i wouldnīt recommend anyone to base them on round bases in the first place as its not a problem to use them in 40k that way.
My local gw runs the rule that you have to have them on the correct base for the system

MasterSplinter
14-12-2014, 12:20
I see....... best thing would be to rebuy the whole army then, of course^^

Tbh i canīt understand that. I played for some years in my then local GW store and they wouldnīt do that, but there were other reasons i stoped to play there.

WarsmithGarathor94
14-12-2014, 12:28
I see....... best thing would be to rebuy the whole army then, of course^^

Tbh i canīt understand that. I played for some years in my then local GW store and they wouldnīt do that, but there were other reasons i stoped to play there.

Cant really afford to rebuy the entire army il just transfer them to the square bases

English 2000
14-12-2014, 13:52
Can you magnetise the round bases on top of square bases? Then they're technically modelled on the proper bases for fantasy.

Evil_D185
14-12-2014, 14:03
Cant really afford to rebuy the entire army il just transfer them to the square bases

People I hope you are aware there are far simpler and cheaper ways of solving the square/round base problem!! Without any work needed
http://www.base-x-of-war.com/html/sci-fi_movement_trays.html

WarsmithGarathor94
14-12-2014, 14:36
Can you magnetise the round bases on top of square bases? Then they're technically modelled on the proper bases for fantasy.

Im just gonna stick them on top lol i prefere fantasy nowadays anyway

English 2000
14-12-2014, 15:19
People I hope you are aware there are far simpler and cheaper ways of solving the square/round base problem!! Without any work needed
http://www.base-x-of-war.com/html/sci-fi_movement_trays.html
The problem with that solution being that he had already said he plays in a GW store that requires "proper" bases for each system.

I would say good problem is that he plays in a GW store but that's a topic for another day ;)

English 2000
14-12-2014, 15:20
Im just gonna stick them on top lol i prefere fantasy nowadays anyway
Can't say I blame you there. I have zero interest in 40k myself. :)

tneva82
15-12-2014, 08:34
My local gw runs the rule that you have to have them on the correct base for the system

Seriously? Even if they are gaming wise IDENTICAL. You would have movement trays which means that there's no difference between having round and square bases.

One dumb store then. Then again if it's GW official store not surprised.

Greyshadow
15-12-2014, 09:11
Welcome to the fantasy club! Daemons are on my list to collect one day, love their iconic status as the ultimate bad guys.

WarsmithGarathor94
15-12-2014, 12:18
Seriously? Even if they are gaming wise IDENTICAL. You would have movement trays which means that there's no difference between having round and square bases.

One dumb store then. Then again if it's GW official store not surprised.

Its because of that redicoulous warriors code. However tbh 40k is just really stupidnowadays "hi heres ny 3 titans good luck killing them"

WarsmithGarathor94
15-12-2014, 12:19
Welcome to the fantasy club! Daemons are on my list to collect one day, love their iconic status as the ultimate bad guys.

Agreed i already have 1 fantasy army (dark elves) but daemons look alot more fun this side

theunwantedbeing
15-12-2014, 14:33

Provided you use only 25mm round base models, sure.
It doesn't work for other stuff.

eg.
Chariots
The large oval base for 40k isn't compatible with the fantasy chariot bases

Flying creatures
The large flying bases are 60mm circles, too large to fit onto the required 50mm squares or the 50x75mm rectangles

Bike bases
There are longer than cavalry bases.

And so on.
I've seen people try to play using 40k bases in fantasy, even with the special trays it causes problems.
So it's not really GW being dumb or unfair, it's more common sense.

You also have to consider that 40k models are generally not posed to rank up together, because there's zero need for it and you can always pivot them around if necessary. This becomes problematic when trying to rank them properly and get into base contact with enemies.

SuperHappyTime
16-12-2014, 05:06

Then again if it's GW official store not surprised.

It's not an if.

Here's an idea (it's theory, so I've yet to try it on my Daemons personally):
1. Cut the Daemons from the currently glued round bases
*2. Glue small magnets to the feet of each Daemon model you have
*3. Glue small magnets to the underside of the round and square bases
4. Base the round and square bases such that they disguise the magnets.

* - Ensure you place the magnets in the correct north/south position.

underscore
16-12-2014, 07:24
If I were you I'd just rebase the ones unwanted mentioned, then fight tooth and nail to keep your troops on the round bases with movement trays. It makes ranking them up soooooooo much easier.

Brother Haephestus
16-12-2014, 07:50
Not necessarily true. Being a Daemons player I specifically contacted Warhammer World in regards to this and they were quite fine with having figures on round bases. The feedback I got was use movement trays (duh). You will have to do some work in regards to your bigger based critters - juggernauts, chariots, etc., but I have never been turned away from a game as long as I can clearly display to my opponent correct unit sizes. I figure if the 'center of the GW in-store gaming universe' was fine with it, everyone should be. Your mileage will vary, but our local GW store never had a problem with me on round bases.

You also have to consider that 40k models are generally not posed to rank up together, because there's zero need for it and you can always pivot them around if necessary. This becomes problematic when trying to rank them properly and get into base contact with enemies.No comment. I mean ... :rolleyes:

Getting back to the OP: Daemons are good in Fantasy, and I prefer that game over 40K by quite a bit. You will find the Fantasy rules book isn't as cleanly written as the 40K rules book. Little things that should have been written cleaner (ie Skull Taker's Locus incompatible with a Blood Throne). However, I have had a decent amount of fun with mine.

** Edit: as soon as I find the email I will post it here.