PDA

View Full Version : Which to get...An'ggrath/Lord of Skulls/Brass Scorpion?

craig_of_filth
15-12-2014, 15:59
I have a decent sized Daemons of Chaos (Khorne) army which I would like to take Apocalyptic in order to take on some friends who have a lot of stuff. I'm not looking to powergame or anything, but wondered which out of An'ggrath, the Lord of Skulls or the Brass Scorpion I should consider getting? Asthetics opinions are welcome, but I am really looking for thoughts on awesomeness on the battlefield and entertainment factor. :)

csm
15-12-2014, 16:32
For the points cost in your army, the Brass Scorpion can do a lot of damage.

Get the lord of skulls only if you want to do what I would consider a "parody of Khorne".

An'ngrath is just impressive to have on the table in terms of look and making the battle look more epic, but as with most khonre units, he has to get in quite close to do real damage. Your opponents lord of war will most likely have a strength D shooting weapon to stop him in his tracks. And he is REALLY expensive compared to the Brass scorpion.

I guess I am partial to the brass scorpion :)

Rabbitden
15-12-2014, 16:45
I'm lucky enough to own both An'ggrath and a brass scorpion and can say they are both amazing models. Both on the table and in a display cabinet. An'ggrath has managed to single handedly rip apart a warhound titan and in another game took on 2 Stompas and came out smiling! It's an awesome model to paint too and really has that 'scary mo-fo' prescience on the battlefield.

The Scorpion is also a beautiful model and can easily hold his own on the battlefield. Also, when this guy explodes he can take out your own troops as well as the enemies which can be entertaining. I also think the Brass Scorpion aesthetics look more at home in a CSM army than a Daemon army due to CSM having access to daemon engines but this is more a personal thing.

I'm not keen on the aesthetics of the LOS as it looks too much like a kids toy instead of a 'man doll'. If push came to shove I'd probably go for An'ggrath as he's pure killer Khorne. Just hope that GW don't bring out a new 'Thirster plastic in the next few months that are a similar size to 'The Glotkin' as this could be a decent proxy for An'ggrath at a cheaper price. Also, check out Ebay. There was a 'buy it now' An'ggrath on there for £80 the other day and is quite a common listing.

Rabbitden
15-12-2014, 16:51
As a side note. I've just looked on the Forgeworld website and the greater daemons are no longer listed as 'named greater daemons'. Ie: An'ggrath, Scabianthrax, etc... Is this a sign that the new GW Greater Daemons may be of comparable size or am I just living in a dream world?

Ozendorph
15-12-2014, 16:53
An'ggrath is my favorite model of the three, and he is terrifying on the battlefield. He'll be your friends' dreaded super-villain in any game he appears in. For a Khornate Daemon army he'd be my first choice.

WarsmithGarathor94
15-12-2014, 17:52
An'ggarath he even makes grey knights wet themselves and have night mares

insectum7
15-12-2014, 18:07
Having painted An'ggarath, I kinda think it's a dull model. He's sorta just a plus-size Bloodthirster. I really like the Scorpion though. I could very well be in the minority here though.

Konovalev
15-12-2014, 19:34
Also, check out Ebay. There was a 'buy it now' An'ggrath on there for £80 the other day and is quite a common listing.

I'd be careful with those auctions. They are probably recasts if they're consistently appearing at such a low price.

Smooth Boy
15-12-2014, 20:08
The only time it's advisable to get a Lord of Skulls is if you're planning on reversing your car over it so there's one less in the world. I'd go An'ggrath, he's quite an iconic model. He's pretty much THE demon of Khorne.

gwarsh41
15-12-2014, 20:16
My vote is for the Brass Scorpion, but I am more partial to daemon engines. I have also used one, the extra stomp attacks, larger explosion, giant middle finger to psykers, and super charge range are all really awesome.

Marshal_Loss
16-12-2014, 01:39
I'd vote for Brass Scorpion too, it is an absolutely gorgeous model and the panels give a lot of painting possibilities

Rolsheen
16-12-2014, 02:32
An'ggrath is the only one you can't use in smaller games, the Daemon Lords can only be taken as 25% of your army

AndrewGPaul
16-12-2014, 08:23
What's in the rest of your army? If it's all "traditional" daemons (Bloodletters, Juggernauts, Flesh Hounds and chariots), then I'd go with An'ggrath. If you've got a lot of daemon engines, then one of the other two. I happen to like the Lord of Skulls, so I'm not sure which one of the two I'd go for.

craig_of_filth
16-12-2014, 14:22
Thanks for all the input guys/gals :)

I'm kinda glad there's only little support for the Lord of Skulls as, on second thoughts, it's probably the worst looking of the three.

My army is 2500 points and consists of:

Bloodthirster
Daemon Prince
Herald on Juggernaut
Bloodcrushers (2 units of 5)
Bloodletters (4 units of 17)
Daemon Prince
Skull Cannon
Soul Grinder

I will probably buy a unit of Flesh Hounds in the near future, but thought I'd go for something big first.

Rolsheen
16-12-2014, 23:24
You don't have enough points to run An'ggrath (888pts)

Ozendorph
17-12-2014, 04:27
Sounds like pretty casual games...somehow I think they'll look past a percentage requirement if one of their mates brings An'ggrath around ;)

TheBearminator
17-12-2014, 06:11
I don't play anything of the kind, but I'd love to try replicating forgeworlds glossy red brass scorpion. The cost and the looks of the LoS kills it outright for me. I've got a stompa from my brother and sister a few months back. I love it, but I don't see myself playing games of that size where it fits. And it's a hundred points less than the LoS. Maybe I can use it as a giant g(m)orkanaut.

craig_of_filth
17-12-2014, 12:30
Can someone reference where it says the percentage requirements for An'ggrath please, I can't seem to find it? Even being the case, I think it would make up about 27%, so wouldn't take much to fit in legally.

Our club quite a few 40k players now so the opportunity to do larger games has come along, hense my enquiry.

AndrewGPaul
17-12-2014, 13:38
Assuming your army is exactly 2,500 points, AND that there's a restriction that only 25% of your army can be Big, Scary Daemons, then you only need to add an additional 164 points over An'ggrath to give yourself a legal 3,552-point army. :)

gwarsh41
17-12-2014, 16:39
Did they put the % restrictions back into the rules with IA:13? The latest apoc book doesn't have them anymore. Or is that a lord of war rule?

CrownAxe
17-12-2014, 22:35
Did they put the % restrictions back into the rules with IA:13? The latest apoc book doesn't have them anymore. Or is that a lord of war rule?

Yes the Daemon Lords have a 25% restriction when used outside of Apoc (IA:13 pg 196)

gwarsh41
18-12-2014, 00:12
Bummer, the tzeentch dude won't be showing up in any of my future games.

KR3LL
18-12-2014, 01:30
The 25% rule is not well thought out...considering there are things out there like the Transcendent C’Tan that is way better for the points cost.

I have Scab and An'ggrath.

Scab will still see games as a LoW every once in a while, An'ggrath will only see apoc games because of the 25% rule.

craig_of_filth
09-02-2015, 10:11
I apologise profusely for the thread necromancy. I thought I'd thank everyone for their contributions and after buying the Brass Scorpion which I finished on Saturday evening, just wanted to share a picture with you as a small token.
(http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j421/craig_of_filth/IMG_20150208_213440.jpg)
http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j421/craig_of_filth/IMG_20150208_213440.jpg (http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j421/craig_of_filth/IMG_20150208_213440.jpg)

AndrewGPaul
09-02-2015, 11:57
That looks really nifty. :)

Harbinger
10-02-2015, 01:16
I have only used the Brass Scorpion, and it does wonders once it gets into range. In melee it will lay titans low with ease. Its weapons are short range but will kill most units with ease.

If money is an issue, you can do the traditional Defiler conversion to Brass Scorpion. I used two Defilers and left over vehicle bits from other kits. I saved about $100 US. Not sure what currency you are using or the exchange rate, but it is something to consider.

EDIT: Just read last post. Disregard. I am slow today.

daveNYC
10-02-2015, 20:05
I apologise profusely for the thread necromancy. I thought I'd thank everyone for their contributions and after buying the Brass Scorpion which I finished on Saturday evening, just wanted to share a picture with you as a small token.
(http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j421/craig_of_filth/IMG_20150208_213440.jpg)
http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j421/craig_of_filth/IMG_20150208_213440.jpg (http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j421/craig_of_filth/IMG_20150208_213440.jpg)

That's a damn fine paint job.

I mean it's horrible and you should send me the model so you no longer have to look at it.

Ozendorph
10-02-2015, 22:42
Great looking Scorpion, Craig. Blood God Approved®

Flame Boy
11-02-2015, 12:35
Really nice model. I was gonna vote Brass Scorpion too. You did the model justice without a doubt. :)