PDA

View Full Version : which kit do you think is the best value for money

WarsmithGarathor94
15-12-2014, 17:44
Simple question. For me it is the plague bearer kit. Simply down to the fact you get the parts for 10 bearers and then some extra parts enabling you to make 2-3 bases of nurglings and some lovely possessed

Disposable Hero
15-12-2014, 20:11
The movement tray set. I use it for loads of things.

All Cing Eye
16-12-2014, 03:45
I've always liked the Grey Knight power armour kit. It's quite useful for a SM player, lots of CC weapons, plastic psychic hoods, great kit for bits. I also love the SW Wolf Guard kits for the same reasons.

WarsmithGarathor94
16-12-2014, 04:25
I've always liked the Grey Knight power armour kit. It's quite useful for a SM player, lots of CC weapons, plastic psychic hoods, great kit for bits. I also love the SW Wolf Guard kits for the same reasons.

Completely forgot about that kit :p honourable mention goes to the terminator lord kit

Althenian Armourlost
16-12-2014, 07:06
Completely forgot about that kit :p honourable mention goes to the terminator lord kit

Razorwing jetfighter. Why that flyer is 27 quid when all the others are 40 I have no idea... but I use them as crimson hunters for that reason alone.

dugaal
17-12-2014, 08:41

I noticed in the last while the new and old boxes have been repacked somehow. Old one says it can make like 4 types of squads, weight wise feels like average kit. Noticed a new box says the same thing, feels packed to bursting but costs way more, and there is also a "purifier" box as well... What gives?

GarDakka
17-12-2014, 09:44
Ork Nobz. Great models with so many options.

tneva82
17-12-2014, 09:49
I noticed in the last while the new and old boxes have been repacked somehow. Old one says it can make like 4 types of squads, weight wise feels like average kit. Noticed a new box says the same thing, feels packed to bursting but costs way more, and there is also a "purifier" box as well... What gives?

Isn't new one basically two boxes? Old one had 5 guys, new one 10. Purifier is just old one renamed. At least think it went like that.

misterboff
17-12-2014, 19:49
I second the Ork Nobz. Also, Killa Kans are a great kit for the price (especially compared to Meganobz).

You get plenty of spares in both kits that (as an Ork player) you'll probably be able to actually find a use for!

DYoung
17-12-2014, 20:48
Dark Angels upgrade sprue. 28aud for the exact same thing as the veterans box which is 41aud.

2 upgrade sprues is also cheaper than a tactical marine box which makes them the cheapest marines going round.

tneva82
17-12-2014, 20:58
Dark Angels upgrade sprue. 28aud for the exact same thing as the veterans box which is 41aud.

2 upgrade sprues is also cheaper than a tactical marine box which makes them the cheapest marines going round.

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-FI/Dark-Angels-Chapter-Upgrade-Frame

that one? Doesn't look like it makes more than 3 PA marines. albeit plenty of bits elsewhere but doesn't look that cheap.

Adyger
17-12-2014, 21:20
It definitely makes five. I think two of the 5 legs are just the same, which is why they only show three in the painted shot.

Snake Tortoise
17-12-2014, 23:52
Khorne berzerkers are still great value. Twelve elite marines for the price of ten troop marines. Granted it's an old kit with no real options besides a few plasma pistols (lol) but altogether the unit comes to 250 points if you include the four chainaxes on the cover of the box (and without plasma pistols)

Killa kanz seem like great value. More expensive than berzerkers and far fewer points- but they're still vehicles for less than a tenner each. They made sentinels seem really overpriced by comparison

~

Those are the two that come to mind. Chaos terminators are decent too. With a realistic set of weapons (not just trying to max out points) and expensive but popular tzeentch or nurgle marks you can easily get 250 points from one kit

Spiney Norman
18-12-2014, 11:11
Razorwing jetfighter. Why that flyer is 27 quid when all the others are 40 I have no idea... but I use them as crimson hunters for that reason alone.

It's simply because it is then oldest fighter kit in the game, if you look at the other flyer kits from that era, the Storm talon, Dakka jet and night scythe, they are all around the same price point. Tracking the price of flyers is an interesting exercise in observing the evolution of GWs price hikes over the last 4 years because they are all fairly similar and of comparable value (possibly excluding the storm raven which is notably larger).

Call me old fashioned but I think the necron warrior kit is pretty good value, if only because you get two completely different units out of it rather than one (and can build both at the same time, from the same kit).

Beppo1234
18-12-2014, 13:47
http://www.games-workshop.com/en-FI/Dark-Angels-Chapter-Upgrade-Frame

that one? Doesn't look like it makes more than 3 PA marines. albeit plenty of bits elsewhere but doesn't look that cheap.

look at the spru pics bro, not the pretty color pictures

Ironbone
18-12-2014, 18:01
For best I would vote for old apocalypse boxes when apocalypse expansion first lunched ( 2008 ? ). These were expensive on their own but allows significant discounts compared to buying parts separatly. Like box of 10 leman russes at price of 6.

insectum7
18-12-2014, 18:59
Tactical Squad. Always good dollars to points/effectiveness ratio in every edition. Includes ten models in PA while all other marine boxes have only five or six. Current box has every special weapon + every combi-weapon. You can build a pretty solid army out of Tactical Squad boxes and Devastator boxes, Devastators also being a good value. If you throw in some Rhinos and Drop Pods you can have an army that can weather a lot of 'metas' and edition changes, which is it's own value.

AngryAngel
18-12-2014, 19:17
It's simply because it is then oldest fighter kit in the game, if you look at the other flyer kits from that era, the Storm talon, Dakka jet and night scythe, they are all around the same price point. Tracking the price of flyers is an interesting exercise in observing the evolution of GWs price hikes over the last 4 years because they are all fairly similar and of comparable value (possibly excluding the storm raven which is notably larger).

Call me old fashioned but I think the necron warrior kit is pretty good value, if only because you get two completely different units out of it rather than one (and can build both at the same time, from the same kit).

Watching GW pricing of flyers is a lot like combing the fossil records. " Oh look here..a reasonable priced flyer..you see this was from way back just in the dawn of the wardian era, you can tell by the lower cost to buy, as well as the smaller model size, as well as the consistent pricing policy common to models of that time. "

I couldn't say what I think is the best value now, as they've been very good in fixing any good discounts I'd noticed over the years. If I had to say, I'd say most of the older models in the Dark Eldar line, by older I mean the newest kits from their 5th ed reboot model wise, most of them. The flyer went up, still pretty cheap, the wyches, warriors, venoms, scourges, all for me pretty good quality per cost. The Talos/Cronos is a bit hefty, as is most of the Coven units but on the whole I think they feel cheaper for quality given in kits.

Edit: I agree with the poster above, The Dev Squad box is probably still to me a great value, so many guns, and 5 guys for a ( For GW ) reasonable cost.

gwarsh41
18-12-2014, 21:24
I think if you put magnets into the mix, the GH and SW TDA kit are great deals. However they both have big downsides.

GH has no combi weapons or meltaguns, however you get plenty of other special wepaons, including more special melee weapons than you can shake a stick at!
TDA 1 powersword, which is the weapon all the models start base with. The flipside is you get pretty much 5 of every other option.

R.D.
18-12-2014, 22:38
The plastic Tau pathfinders.

KingDeath
18-12-2014, 23:04
Dark Eldar Kabalite warriors. Some of the best plastic miniatures GW has ever designed and they are even priced halfway decently (23).

Havarel
19-12-2014, 00:19
The Ghost Ark. My God it's an amazing kit for the price. Big, comes with a silly number of pieces, and looks amazing. I bought a second one just to build. Special shout to the rest of the 'new' Necron models for the same reasons.

thanoson
19-12-2014, 03:03
Chaos spawn used to be a good deal. So many extra bits.

MrKeef
19-12-2014, 04:20
Tyranid hive tyrant/flyrant/swarmlord. Go online to buy a second body and you just got two huge monstrous creatures out of that!

I expect some flack for this, but assault marines combo'd with sternguard. It costs a lot but you get enough parts for 15 models. And not just 15 models, but amazing looking marines. With the sternguard kit alone you can make something that could easily be passed as a Captain too.

I only said assault marines because it comes with 10 legs and 10 torsos, to be honest if you have a big enough bitz box and legs and torsos are plentiful I couldn't recommend the sternguard box enough even with it's high price point. A lot of ornate bolters, pointing arms, melee weapons, detailed armour and natural poses throughout.

Always buy at FLGS or online for discount though, never GW's RRP.

insectum7
19-12-2014, 07:43
I only said assault marines because it comes with 10 legs and 10 torsos, to be honest if you have a big enough bitz box and legs and torsos are plentiful I couldn't recommend the sternguard box enough even with it's high price point. A lot of ornate bolters, pointing arms, melee weapons, detailed armour and natural poses throughout.

Unless there's a product I'm missing assault marines are five a box. http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Space-Marine-Assault-Squad

MrKeef
19-12-2014, 15:28
Unless there's a product I'm missing assault marines are five a box. http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Space-Marine-Assault-Squad

They are give a box yes, but the jump packs come with 5 special torsos with harnesses on the front and running legs. They have the option to not take jump packs, and so come with 5 regular torsos and on that sprue there are 5 standing legs.

Mack
19-12-2014, 15:28
Tyranid hive tyrant/flyrant/swarmlord. Go online to buy a second body and you just got two huge monstrous creatures out of that!

I expect some flack for this, but assault marines combo'd with sternguard. It costs a lot but you get enough parts for 15 models. And not just 15 models, but amazing looking marines. With the sternguard kit alone you can make something that could easily be passed as a Captain too.

Always buy at FLGS or online for discount though, never GW's RRP.

I agree...the Sterngaurd kit is an amazing value, and with spare legs and torsos, you can create a bounty of Sternguard. My only real complaint is that the 5 man kit is pricey. You pay for all of those extra bits.

Denny
19-12-2014, 16:41
Dark Eldar Kabalite warriors. Some of the best plastic miniatures GW has ever designed and they are even priced halfway decently (23).

Quoted for truth. Value for money is more then just how many models you can make, or how many extra bits are included.
The Kabalites are simply beautiful models. Probably my favorites of all time.

insectum7
19-12-2014, 18:12
They are give a box yes, but the jump packs come with 5 special torsos with harnesses on the front and running legs. They have the option to not take jump packs, and so come with 5 regular torsos and on that sprue there are 5 standing legs.

Noooo. . . I think you're mistaken there. While it's true that the box has the spare torsos, I believe it only comes with the running legs. Legs are always the limited resource for marines. I haven't bought an Assault box in a while, but this pic appears to be the contents: http://store.wargamingtrader.com/system/files/imagecache/product_full/X1241%20-%20Space%20Marine%20Plastic%20Assault%20Squad%20on %20Sprue%20%20%20%20%2012-01-03.jpg

If the Assault box DID come with ten legs I'd go buy a set right now. I'm tempted anyways. . . I'm frighteningly within reach of a painted company and I'll need a couple spares for weapon alternates and potential character bits.

Edit: Just bought some :) Just the five running legs.

TimLeeson
19-12-2014, 18:27
The old Necron Warriors kit is great - you can effectively make potentially 3 units out of it too, the scarab swarm and 2 units of 6 warriors.

Killgore
20-12-2014, 23:06
Another vote for Tau pathfinders.

Unit of 10, plastic, plenty of spare bits to jaz up firewarriors, and best of all loads of drones! If you had some spare gundrone parts you could make a shield and marker drone, as well as the pathfinder only special drones.

Tuborg
21-12-2014, 19:22
While the actual unit is next to useless, the Possessed Box in the chaos range has a ton of bits that I have used across my entire Tzeentchian force.

The other good value is The Balrog. Use it as a Daemon Prince for cheaper and more gnarly looking than the DP on sale.

Wintermute
21-12-2014, 19:56
Yet another pricing thread.

Closed

Wintermute