PDA

View Full Version : Which kit do you think is the Worst value for money?

Vipoid
18-12-2014, 09:44
Basically the title.

Which kit do you think is the worst value for money?

Spiney Norman
18-12-2014, 09:57
Basically the title.

I guess it depends whether you measure value by size/quantity of plastic, age of the sculpts, points value of models or playability of the units.
I'd say 20.50 for five Dire Avengers is pretty poor value given the age of the kit and the number of parts it contains, but it can be equally said that the Nephilim/dark talon is pretty poor value since you cannot make an even vaguely playable unit from the kit.

More recently 18 for one power armoured sanguinary priest made me laugh and thank the gods I don't play BA, you can buy terminator armoured special characters from forgeworld for less than that...

T10
18-12-2014, 10:26
Basically the title.

Why do you want to know? Off on a GW pricing policy rampage, or looking to quantify that ineffable quality "value"?

In my opinion, the new Dwarf Hammerers kit is representative.

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Hammerers

It simply includes too few models for its cost, and the cost is bloated by the options available: Each model can be built as a Hammerer of Longbeard. These types have different weapon options (great hammers, great-axes, hand weapons, optionally: shields), different heads and shoulder-guards for Hammerers/Longbeards.

You'll want to take this unit in numbers - a single box isn't going to cut it - and that's when the redundant bits start adding up. Need 20 men in a unit? Congratulations, you have bits left over for three command groups because the box comes with two sets of 5-model sprues, thus including a command group for every 5 men.

Sure, there are probably heaps of other sets that have the same or similar issues, but the Dwarf Hammerers box was the first time I actually felt cheated by paying hard for getting too much stuff in the box. Too much useless stuff.

-T10

Shakkara
18-12-2014, 10:58
Lothern Skycutter costing more than a phoenix or a dragon. And being rather bad in game.

Ofc it has all those extra bits in it, that make it suck even more. Like the seahelm or the bolt-thrower-that-cant-hit-****.

Althenian Armourlost
18-12-2014, 11:31
Dire avengers are the obvious choice.
The new wracks are coming in close behind them, but unlike the dire avengers which are merely average quality, the new wrack models are fantastic - so I forgive GW for that one.

Ol'shas'ka
18-12-2014, 11:31
I remember there being a lot of complaints about the Ork Mek Gunz when they were revealed as costing close to 1 per point.

nosebiter
18-12-2014, 11:42
I guess it depends whether you measure value by size/quantity of plastic, age of the sculpts, points value of models or playability of the units.
I'd say 20.50 for five Dire Avengers is pretty poor value given the age of the kit and the number of parts it contains, but it can be equally said that the Nephilim/dark talon is pretty poor value since you cannot make an even vaguely playable unit from the kit.

More recently 18 for one power armoured sanguinary priest made me laugh and thank the gods I don't play BA, you can buy terminator armoured special characters from forgeworld for less than that...

He sanguinary priest made me choke on my morning cofee.

I bought these instead.

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Space_Marines/Space_Marine-Infantry-and-Accessories/SPACE_MARINE_APOTHECARY_SET.html

But my vote either goes to the mek gunz, that are so overpriced in that it is laughable, or the repacked dire avengers, that just screams ripoff.

Kegslayer
18-12-2014, 12:23
Any space marine character. Not sure why people are shocked about the sanguinary priest when last year the regular marine captain and librarian were also 18

Konovalev
18-12-2014, 15:07

I 2nd the Sang Priest, price vs contents it's absurd. Just take any marine, or if you want to be fancy a vanguard/sternguard, toss an apothecary arm on him and call it a day. If the chalice matters to you(I think it looks stupid carrying one around) You can pick up a tiny chalice at your local crafts store for mere cents.

insectum7
18-12-2014, 18:05
A full marine Bike Squad is something like $150 US, while a full Tac Squad is $40. The meta-longevity of bike effectiveness is unclear. If bikes were a stock, I'd short 'em.

gwarsh41
18-12-2014, 19:56
Chaos Furies, hands down.

$30 for 5 models. This kit is 85 cents per point. Each model cost, $6. That is $6 for an S4, I4, LD2 jump infantry guardsman with no guns. To add insult to injury, the unit is absolutely terrible in game. For them to do anything half decent, you need a mark of some sort. At that point you are better off just getting basic daemon troops or fast attack.

Lastly, this may be one of the only kits that is STILL METAL. GW puts so little stock into these being bought, they wont even convert them over to finecast. The sculpts are pretty terrible, the rules for the models are terrible, and the cost is ridiculous.

Voss
18-12-2014, 23:53
Dire Avengers. Pretty much halved the contents and kept the price. Shame, one of my favourite units

For sheer sanity loss, I have to agree with this one. One of the focal troop choices for the army, one of the few aspects in plastic, and it effectively doubled in cost in a moment of completely lost your mind, what is wrong with you madness.

The other one that comes close is witch elves, especially when shifting to core simultaneously.

I don't much like the way GW prices special, rare and elite units, but I can at least connect it somewhat to economies of scale and realize that yeah, there is some business sense in a slightly higher cost based on # of units and expected sales. But for troops or core choices? Shove off, GW.

Lord Damocles
20-12-2014, 16:28
Mek Gun.

28 for a max 46 point unit (you can't actually use the 5th Grot crewmember), and it doesn't even include half of the weapon options.

totgeboren
20-12-2014, 23:02
I remember there being a lot of complaints about the Ork Mek Gunz when they were revealed as costing close to 1 per point.

Yeah, when these were released I was pretty thrilled, and at first I though the price was for a box of three and figured that was pretty reasonable (priced like the killakans box which contains three models and the mek guns are the same size as killakanz).
Imagine my surprise when each mek gun was priced at 3x that of a killakan. Just bonkers, and I would never pay that much for them.

SirBlackmane
21-12-2014, 12:44
Mechanicum Tech thralls used to be my pet peeve, as they were 25 for 5, min squad size 10, and for your 50 the unit almost 1.50 per point. (Which, if you're then converting to Canadian dollars is like $2.50 per point.) Recent price drop has helped a lot but they're still a quid a point.

hobojebus
21-12-2014, 18:01
Any multi unit kit basically.

Its a joke when 10 necron immortals cost twice what 10 space marines do, and there are plenty of examples just like that.

Codsticker
21-12-2014, 20:28
So.... I have deleted most of the posts in the thread because they are both off topic and more appropriate for the General GW Pricing Thread (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?209297-Games-Workshop-Pricing-Feedback-Thread) (stickied because it is such a soooper-popular topic :rolleyes:). So to be clear, and under the assumption that everyone feels the models are overpriced compared in the general market place, the parameters of this discussion are:

- 40k models
- relative effectiveness and/or points cost vs dollar value

Codsticker

The Warseer Mod Squad

TheBearminator
21-12-2014, 21:30
I wanted to comment on the best value kit, because I just realised that has to be killa kans. Three vehicle models and an amazing amount of plastic and extra parts for three pounds LESS than a single deff dread. What?!

Worst value: Well. Dire avengers are pretty old models to be priced as they are. But I think to me it has to be some kind of resin kit. I always feel ripped off when I have to buy finecast, cause I think the quality is crap, they're either broken on arrival or they fall to pieces while painting/playing, I get no options for my models and I have to pay more for them. Is that what you call a lose-lose situation?

itcamefromthedeep
22-12-2014, 00:08
Quake cannon craters.

harlekin
22-12-2014, 06:41
Besides the finecast thing, I agree with Dire Avengers. It's just not 10 for 30€, but 5 for 27?€. Not more sprues or new models or something like that.
But tbh the old tyranid metal gargoyles had a price tag of maybe 75 € for a minimum unit (you need 5 blisters to start a unit, which counted say 100 points worth of models). They were pretty different to their current incarnation though, besides being squishy as usual.

The fantasy and lots examples will nt eb mentioned, but one should not forget that certain knights were a very powerful unit (at least) when they were released and that a certain branded product line lives with a low model count and, well, the branding. Overpriced never the less.

MajorWesJanson
22-12-2014, 06:45
Quake cannon craters.

Especially now that vehicles do not make craters when they explode.

My list:
Reclusiam command Squad: $85 for a plastic chaplain, command squad, and razorback. The squad and razorback are thrown into basically every SM bundle box, so most people had plenty, and it was a nasty premium for that chaplain, though he did work out cheaper for the model itself than the captain and librarian that came in blisters. Space Marine characters pay a premium compared to other clampacks. it also didn't help that the sternguard kit that came out at the same time blows the command squad out of the water in terms of quality and impressiveness.

Mek Gunz-
Way too expensive, lack the basic options in favor of the new guns, leaving no good options for the old gunz. They could have at least make it a combo-kit mek-gun/gun trakk, and gave the trakk some of the new weapon options.

Gorkanaut- Orks didn't need a new walker. They have 3 different size walkers in plastic already- kans, deffdred, and stompa. the orkanaut/gorkanaut rules don't help either, being about 40% overcosted, and don't really bring anything new to the army. a new unit tank would have been nice, a proper tank to replace the looted wagon and could have had some of the new mek gunz on it. Or cover some of the other kits that needed updating, like buggies/trakks, deffkoptas (which both got better rules but no new models)

Wyches- They used to be good value. Then edition changes and neglect made them less worth taking. Then the new codex came out, took away their haywire and unique wych weapons, gave warriors a cost drop the wyches desperately needed, and still didn't do anything to fix their glass pop-cannon status. The price has stayed the same, but value keeps dropping.

Khorne Lord of Skulls- Just terrible rules for a $160 GOD SPECIFIC lord of war. Maybe next time around Chaos will get more balancing, like lords of war for the other powers- Tzeentch Silver Tower, Slaanesh Hell-Knights (so Chaos can have the Knights they really want), and a plague/contagion engine for Nurgle.

Wintermute
23-12-2014, 05:48
Do not post pricing threads.

Thread Closed

Wintermute