PDA

View Full Version : A couple general questions

Heroe Juice
19-12-2014, 01:23
Battalion boxes VS individual kits

I'm aware there's a massive price difference in them but that does not worry me overly as this seems a expensive game to get into so i have mad peace with that part.
Am i right in assuming that shields come attached in battalion boxes VS not attached in regular kits and that there are a lot more options for modelling in a regular kit with extra parts VS static single build options ?

Other question i had was any advice about meeting players in remote locations? my closest store that sells warhammer is near a hours drive away and last i checked they where not selling anything any more,it was just a little toy store that stocked a few models as well.
i want to start playing and collect a couple armies+build some terrain,table,whatever creeps up along the journey but starting something I'll never get to use seems a bit of a waste of money in the long run.

infamousme
19-12-2014, 04:10
The battalion boxes come with the same model sprues as the individual boxes. They are generally a good way to build up your army's core.

The remote location is a hard one. When i lived about 120 miles from the closest store that had active gaming, i just would show people that i met my stuff and see if they were interested in learning the game.

Edit:
Also, with the ridiculous GW prices in Australia i would highly recommend using the battalion boxes to collect what you can on the "cheap".

Heroe Juice
19-12-2014, 06:37
thanks for the advice, i was thinking haunting game shops and trying to get others in the area involved might be my best bet,after buying the islands of blood set i was a little disappointed to find shields attached and other little things,was feeling weary about other boxed sets but seems as it is just how they are is how they are there seems no need to fully break he bank on buying all the kits separate then

Voss
19-12-2014, 06:44
thanks for the advice, i was thinking haunting game shops and trying to get others in the area involved might be my best bet,after buying the islands of blood set i was a little disappointed to find shields attached and other little things,was feeling weary about other boxed sets but seems as it is just how they are is how they are there seems no need to fully break he bank on buying all the kits separate then

Wait. Island of Blood is not a 'battalion box' and the shield thing isn't what you'd find in a normal kit (or a battalion box). Island of Blood is the 8th edition starter set, and has a different set of minis in it that aren't built through normal kits (which are also used to fill battalion boxes, or the army boxes that have largely replaced them.

infamousme
19-12-2014, 06:59
Yeah, the island of blood miniatures are special, one off plastics. They are made with the express purpose of being easy and quick to assemble.

Heroe Juice
19-12-2014, 07:39
i was under the impression that might be the case,them being made special for the starter set, but wanted to clarify it.in hindsight should have asked that question first off and not in such a backwards way.i will try be clearer in the future

Metacarpi
19-12-2014, 08:52
i was under the impression that might be the case,them being made special for the starter set, but wanted to clarify it.in hindsight should have asked that question first off and not in such a backwards way.i will try be clearer in the future

However, having bought Island of Blood, that might be a good way to get someone else into the game - after all it comes with both Skaven and High Elf armies. Maybe if someone shows interest, offer them the other set of minis for a reasonable price?

Heroe Juice
19-12-2014, 10:07
a couple friends showed interest in it and seemed keen before i got the starter set then there interest faded fast,i'm abit of a hermit and don't know many people,most people around me are also somewhat hermits too and are interested in different things,been thinking of trying to find a gaming club or something next year then work it out from there.

what is a reasonable price ? i have a few other units as well as whats in the kit,15 or so archers,few phoenix guard,5 extra sword masters,some giant rats and other skaven which i suspect where from warhammer quest originally and a high elves army book thats pretty old

SuperHappyTime
19-12-2014, 13:04
what is a reasonable price ? i have a few other units as well as whats in the kit,15 or so archers,few phoenix guard,5 extra sword masters,some giant rats and other skaven which i suspect where from warhammer quest originally and a high elves army book thats pretty old

A "fair deal" under half what you spent on the IoB starter. In the US, the IoB set usually goes for $100, but the full set can be found online for $75-$85. The reasonable price would be ~$35-$40 for one of the two armies (If you aren't magically in love with either, let them choose).

Battalion boxes VS individual kits

I'm aware there's a massive price difference in them but that does not worry me overly as this seems a expensive game to get into so i have mad peace with that part.
Am i right in assuming that shields come attached in battalion boxes VS not attached in regular kits and that there are a lot more options for modelling in a regular kit with extra parts VS static single build options ?

So when getting started on any army, your purchases will be the following:
The Rulebook, aka Big Red Book or BRB (You have IoB, so you don't need to buy this unless you are really farsighted. Any friends might have to though)
The Armybook (An expensive must have. Yes you can probably torrent it and the BRB, but this is frowned upon as stealing)
The army's Battalion Box (Battle Experience is a better beginner teacher, and it's the most efficient purchase you'll make)
A single Hero (Your army's Fearless Leader)

The good news is that if these early expenditure don't make a friend disinterested altogether, you have a good chance at enticing them to the game.
The bad news is that games at this size don't resemble anything close to a fleshed out Warhammer Fantasy battle, which is roughly 2000-2400 points. (For point levels under 1500 points, play on a 4'x4' table instead of 4'x6').
The ugly news is this is that GW requires you to spend a lot more money to get to 2000 points.

I'll tell any beginner who will listen to not buy beyond what I've listed for more than one army

Other question i had was any advice about meeting players in remote locations? my closest store that sells warhammer is near a hours drive away and last i checked they where not selling anything any more,it was just a little toy store that stocked a few models as well.
i want to start playing and collect a couple armies+build some terrain,table,whatever creeps up along the journey but starting something I'll never get to use seems a bit of a waste of money in the long run.

Okay, you may want to buy nothing past IoB.

For one Toy Stores aren't what you want to look for. The best way is to look through the "looking for local players" section of the forums (I swear Warseer has one, but I can't find it to link it) to make your most and to also see if someone in a nearby area would be willing to set up a time to meet for a game or two (best to arrange it so you have someone to play wherever you travel. The other way is to find the nearest Friendly Local Game Store (FLGS), or a store dedicated to selling comic books and other nerdy junk, and ask the store manager if he'll let you put up a flyer to find players.

Other than that, it's try to convince your nerdiest acquaintance to eventually put a ton of money into a hobby.

Best of luck on your search, and don't be afraid to get recognized as "that guy with the figures".

Heroe Juice
19-12-2014, 13:24
thank you superhappytime, i was thinking i might be asking way to much for what i had but did not want to back down on it untill someone could give me some solid advice,
this has been very helpful in giving me the direction to go in.
i'll stop replying now aswell so i don't keep bumping this up and spamming replies out