PDA

View Full Version : Herald of Sanguinius

DarkChaplain
19-12-2014, 04:11
http://www.blacklibrary.com/Images/Product/DefaultBL/xlarge/audio-herald-of-sanguinius.jpg

The Story
Crowned as the new Emperor of Imperium Secundus, Sanguinius of the Blood Angels faces the very real threat of betrayal from within his new realm. As ever, it falls to his Sanguinary Guard to protect the primarch, and Commander Azkaellon must resort to the most dire of measures...

Listen to it because
Not only is this story a fascinating glimpse into the mind of the Blood Angels Primarch, it also shines light on the origins of another well known character in the history of the IX Legion...

About this audio
Performed by Gareth Armstrong, Jonathan Keeble, Toby Longworth, Kris Milnes and Saul Reichlin
Sound design and music by Richard Fox and Lauren Yason
Running time 20 minutes
Produced by Black Library

No idea where the price markup came from, compared to the other advent audios so far.

So this one's got a few new revelations to offer, mainly regarding the Sanguinor.

It is not Azkaellon. He was instrumental in the Sanguinor's creation, but did not take the role. He couldn't be both guardian and herald at once.

Instead, one of his ten Sanguinary Guard candidates got chosen. A second is killed by Azkaellon to veil the identity of the chosen one from the rest - neither will be remembered or talked about again. The Sanguinor himself is supposed to take the new "Emperor"'s place, as Sanguinius grows sick of sitting in his throne room, heavily guarded and with his Sanguinary Guards keeping others from seeing him, out of fear they may try to kill him.

Oh, and the Lion is getting impatient, and Azkaellon seems to be distrustful of him.

I feel like we're missing a piece or two in the whole Imperium Secundus arc so far. It feels somewhat uneventful. Good audio drama, though. I enjoyed it.

Scribe of Khorne
19-12-2014, 04:23
I need some movement out of the HH series at this point. BRING ON MASTER OF MANKIND!

DarkChaplain
19-12-2014, 05:55
I'm not sure Master of Mankind will move things much, if it is focused on the Emperor on Terra, from Custodian perspective... Revelations? Sure. Moving things forward? I doubt it.

Besides, Imperium Secundus is the most recent arc in the Heresy. The Unremembered Empire is still the most recent novel in the main series - Vengeful Spirit and the likes all play earlier. My gripe with Imperium Secundus is more that they've been expanding it via short stories and audio dramas, rather than novels or novellas. Always just glimpses - good glimpses, most stories I have enjoyed far more than TUE itself, but glimpses nonetheless.

Scribe of Khorne
19-12-2014, 16:33
Yeah I can agree with that. I dont like all the offshoot's honestly. If you want to have an event book (TUE, KNF) and then spin off, thats fine, but keep the story marching so that those not hung up on those events can get rolling.

I salivate at the thought of the Siege of Terra, both BL and FW versions, but I cant enjoy it till we get there. :D

Nazguire
20-12-2014, 01:21
Yeah I can agree with that. I dont like all the offshoot's honestly. If you want to have an event book (TUE, KNF) and then spin off, thats fine, but keep the story marching so that those not hung up on those events can get rolling.

I salivate at the thought of the Siege of Terra, both BL and FW versions, but I cant enjoy it till we get there. :D

I think the Heresy series is truly reaching a fatigue point where the series is just stalling. I used to buy every HH novel, but I just can't keep up with the sheer amount of material being released on just completely unrelated stuff that is not progressing the plot whatsoever.

Scribe of Khorne
20-12-2014, 18:15
Yeah I'm sure I've complained about this before, but its not about content, its about format and subject matter.

1. Audio, just get bent.
2. All these minor plot lines consuming release space.

At this point, if its Raven Guard, or Salamanders, or Ultramarines, its unlikely I'll be picking it up, because its not going to be integral (or shouldnt be!) to the primary plot.

Thats not to say that those authors or fans shouldnt get to read about it, but like Garro and friends, keep on releasing it fine, but get the main story moving, with appropriately talented authors, and lets get on with it.

Fatigue is right, 100%.

Spider-pope
20-12-2014, 21:30
I think the Heresy series is truly reaching a fatigue point where the series is just stalling. I used to buy every HH novel, but I just can't keep up with the sheer amount of material being released on just completely unrelated stuff that is not progressing the plot whatsoever.

I'm starting to think they are spinning the wheels until Dan Abnett finishes his Disney obligations.

Scribe of Khorne
20-12-2014, 23:39
I'm starting to think they are spinning the wheels until Dan Abnett finishes his Disney obligations.

That would be insanely lame. Abnetts not even top 5 as far as I'm concerned for 40K/HH.

Nazguire
21-12-2014, 00:04

I just think that they're trying to milk fans for whatever they can, really.

The 'Herald of Sanguinius' wasn't really necessary, just as an example. Interesting story, sure. Is it integral in any way, shape or form to the Heresy? No.

There need to be some mysteries left in the 40k universe, and not all of them need to be solved in the Heresy era. The Sanguinor could have just stayed the mysterious thing that it is.

Tymell
21-12-2014, 02:37
In all fairness, I don't mind extras. I think audios, shorts and the like have their place, expanding on certain threads and filling in gaps here and there. A good example, IMO, is Mark of Calth: most of the stories there expanded on what we already had from Know No Fear, so they had a clear context right from the off.

My issue with the Imperium Secundus bits we've had lately is more that they're pushing things forward in scattered dribs and drabs. They feel like they're lacking a bit of context (and part of that is also because Unremembered Empire itself was such an odd one: it's entire second half had next to nothing to do with the idea of Imperium Secundus, it was just Curze going on a rampage). Herald of Sanguinius is a perfect example: it's decent enough, but it's hard to get into because it feels like it's expanding on something we haven't actually had any proper look at yet: Sanguinius and the Blood Angels post-Signus.

In short, I'm all for short stories/audios/novellas, but they need to expand on the novels that are the core of the series, not replace them.

Also not helping with this feeling for the series as a whole is that we only got 2 actual novels this year, Vengeful Spirit and Damnation of Pythos. I enjoyed both, but aside from 2009 that's the lowest the series has had in a year since it began. 2013 had 5.

And Secundus is particularly worrying since Abnett's next HH novel is supposed to be covering that, but given his other commitments and slow pace I'm not expecting that until 2016 at the earliest.

DarkChaplain
21-12-2014, 08:58
Well, Scars officially launched in 2014, which means we had Scars, Vengeful Spirit, The Damnation of Pythos and Legacies of Betrayal this year. Four books total, same as last year (I think you counted Scars as 2013).

The difference with this year was that Scars was pre-released via a serialization experiment, which had it finished before The Unremembered Empire hit release. Legacies of Betrayal, meanwhile featured nothing new at all, if we exclude the very short event-flyer stories. Hardly something to get excited about when it is a collection of stories we've seen over the course of years.

However, also keep in mind that they released both Sedition's Gate and Death and Defiance this year. That is another ten stories on top. Sadly, those were event-exclusive/overpriced.
And there've also been Ravenlord, The Purge and The Seventh Serpent.

Overall, no, I do not believe that there's been less Horus Heresy in 2014. But they did shift production from full novels towards short stories and audios, as those seemed to suit the current state of affairs best (and earn them more money). The current Heresy situation is rather fractured. There are dozens of groups and plotlines out there, and unifying a good bunch of them in a single novel would just result in yet another unfocused all-over-the-place novel like The Unremembered Empire, which did little to be true to its title or expand on its supposed subject matter.

All those minor plotlines, but also bigger ones, do lend themselves to short stories, novellas and audios, though. They can tackle smaller snapshots of events or thought processes without being tied down by having a big story to tell.

For example: Do we need a full Sigismund novel right now? I don't think so. Templar was enough to give us an update on his activities and mental status.
Plenty of stories might be seen as "inconsequential" by some, but others will undoubtedly treasure them for progressing the finer details or changing perspectives on events.

The problem I see this year is one of balance. The pre-release of Scars made the novel an old hat when it arrived in print. Legacies of Betrayal doesn't have anything new and exciting to offer.

I honestly don't mind anthologies to catch up with digital short stories, but please, don't fill the thing with them so completely. There has to be SOMETHING new in the book. For all I care, have half or two thirds of it as a catch-up anthology, but the rest should be new content we haven't read before. Whether that is further short stories, a novella or two, or a reprint of previous exclusive material doesn't matter much.
Legacies of Betrayal didn't even include the short stories from 2013's The Imperial Truth - Five stories, only two of which have been released as ebooks so far.

On another topic, I find the reliance on Abnett shown here to be somewhat worrying, especially after the dodgy Unremembered Empire. The man's got three novels for Black Library left to write: Dreadwing (or somesuch), the Heresy Dark Angels, The Warmaster and Penitent. His work schedule is so screwed at this point, I don't think relying on him to progress the story is a good idea.
AD-B seems to have put Master of Mankind on hold in favor of Abaddon, too.

I'd be more thrilled about an Imperium Secundus novel by Guy Haley, truth be told.
His Laurel of Defiance short story was a good look at the celebrities on Macragge, and it seemed like his IS Night Lords story in Death and Defiance was the most well-received of the bunch. He also has a stepping stone into Imperium Secundus via Lucretius Corvo, the founding Chapter Master of the Novamarines, who he has plenty of ideas for. His style could also nicely suit the court intrigue and restlessness of the involved parties. He's an author who examines details, relevant details, rather than getting hung up on contrived ideas and concepts. His stories are probably the closest 40k has come to hard scifi. And frankly, I think Imperium Secundus needs some hard facts and clear ideas, rather than Abnett's more esoteric approach.

MiyamatoMusashi
21-12-2014, 11:00
Just listened to this. Felt like a twist for the sake of having a twist, really.

"The Sanguinor is a mystery, but, y'know, Azkaellon...?"
"The Sanguinor is mysterious, but there was this guy Azkaellon..."
"No-one knows who the Sanguinor is, but *cough*Azkaellon*cough*..."
"...HAHAHA you all thought it was Azkaellon but it's just some random dude, HAHAHAHAHA!"

At this point I'm expecting another twist, just because we must now always expect twists:

"HAHAHA you thought we meant the Sanguinor was that random dude, he later dies and Azkaellon takes over anyway!"

DarkChaplain
21-12-2014, 11:36
Just listened to this. Felt like a twist for the sake of having a twist, really.

"The Sanguinor is a mystery, but, y'know, Azkaellon...?"
"The Sanguinor is mysterious, but there was this guy Azkaellon..."
"No-one knows who the Sanguinor is, but *cough*Azkaellon*cough*..."
"...HAHAHA you all thought it was Azkaellon but it's just some random dude, HAHAHAHAHA!"

At this point I'm expecting another twist, just because we must now always expect twists:

"HAHAHA you thought we meant the Sanguinor was that random dude, he later dies and Azkaellon takes over anyway!"

As per Sons of Wrath:

Azkaellon had been first among equals, but he had been too shaken by Sanguinius's death, too weak to stand his ground and fight for the legion.

Fighting re: splitting of the Legions.

reds8n
21-12-2014, 12:43

Might be quite a wait still :

http://www.gollancz.co.uk/2014/12/gollancz-acquires-three-heroic-fantasy-adventures-from-celebrated-multi-media-writer-dan-abnett/

Gollancz is thrilled to announce the acquisition of World Rights excluding USA to a trilogy of self-contained action-packed heroic fantasies from Dan Abnett. A highly talented and prolific writer of novels, computer games and comics, Dan Abnett’s shared world fictions have been set in many universes, including DOCTOR WHO, ALIEN, WARHAMMER and GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY.

Gollancz Associate Publisher, Simon Spanton, acquired the three books in THE WIELD series from Charlotte Robertson at United Agents.

Simon Spanton said, “It’s been hard to miss Dan’s contribution to the genre over recent years. He has an amazing and proven knack for finding readers beyond the immediate genre markets so I am really thrilled that he’s joining Gollancz for this venture into his own world; a project where he can give his extraordinary imagination free rein.”

Dan Abnett said, “I’m more than a little pleased to be joining the Gollancz list. In my teens, I quickly learned that the sight of one of their classic yellow-covered editions on the shelf of a library or bookshop was a guarantee of an extraordinary reading experience. THE WIELD is a story I especially want to tell, and I am simply delighted that it is going to be published by the most respected SF and Fantasy imprint in the world.”

The highly original THE WIELD trilogy takes place in a human-populated society with a vivid dark ages culture. Following an ancient and elite band of warriors, THE WIELD books are dynamic heroic fantasy adventures packed with vivid action and bloody battles. The flawed but engaging characters and the enthralling premise with a clever twist, will appeal to readers of Dan Abnett’s bestselling Black Library books, and fans of David Gemmell and dynamic heroic fantasy.

The first book of THE WIELD series will be published in trade paperback and eBook in 2016 with the other two books to follow in 2017 and 2018.

Dan Abnett is a best-selling writer of tie-in novels, original fiction, comics and computer games. He is the author of, amongst many others, the Gaunt’s Ghosts books – Black Library’s most successful line. It was his run on the GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY comic that Marvel based the mega-hit movie on. Dan Abnett has also worked in the video game market and scripted the latest Alien game – ALIEN: ISOLATION which has stellar reviews.

Tymell
21-12-2014, 14:54
Overall, no, I do not believe that there's been less Horus Heresy in 2014.

Just to clarify, I never said there was. My point was specifically just about full novels, and how there wasn't much on that front in 2014 (discounting Scars and Legacies of Betrayal for the reasons above).

I'd be more thrilled about an Imperium Secundus novel by Guy Haley, truth be told.

I'd like to see that too. Right now I'd really love to see some of the HH authors that haven't done full novels for it trying their hand (Matthew Farrer, Guy Haley, John French, Anthony Reynolds), since a lot of what I've seen from them has been good.

Perrin
22-12-2014, 00:13
Anyone else get the feeling that Dan might be moving on from Black Library? I mean, the guy is writing for Marvel/Disney and Creative Assembly, that's pretty big time in comparison to BL.

Tymell
22-12-2014, 00:44
Anyone else get the feeling that Dan might be moving on from Black Library? I mean, the guy is writing for Marvel/Disney and Creative Assembly, that's pretty big time in comparison to BL.

Anything's possible, but I doubt it. I'd imagine most people writing for Black Library aren't doing it because that's the way to fame and riches, they do it because they have a passion for the setting. At the same time, Dan is a very good and well-known writer, and he's got other commitments to consider. I understand that, even if the selfish side of me wants more BL novels from him :p

flota
24-12-2014, 03:48
He needs to finish the gaunt's ghosts before leaving, I really don't care about the rest.

I'm getting tired of these audio dramas, I want the heresy to continue

Dean5150
26-12-2014, 10:48
I hear you...brother.

Karhedron
16-01-2015, 10:05
GW are in a dilema here. If they keep just cycling out stories from the early heresy, the fans complain about lack of progress. If the progress to the siege of Terra to quickly, the series will end and they will have killed one of their cash cows.

To be honest, they have to do this kind of stuff because the existing fluff (prior to the start of the HH stories) only had details of the early conflicts (like the Siege of Prospero) and then a gap before the Seige. IIRC the Horus Heresy was supposed to have taken 7 years. We have 18 Legions to follow, not to mention sub-factions like the Fallen and non-marine participants like the Assassins, Custodes and Thunder Warriors.

I expect to see a lot more stories before the Traitors get anywhere near terra. Besides, we haven't really found out much about the Death Guard yet.

FlashGordon
23-01-2015, 20:44
How hard can it be to find a new cash cow? just start an age of apostasy series or something.

shadowhawk2008
23-01-2015, 21:15
Age of Apostasy? Bah. Badab War is where its at!

Dean5150
24-01-2015, 12:32

Yes, agree. I also think the quality is getting less and less. I remember when A Thousand Sons, The First Heretic and Prospero Burns came out (I will skip Nemesis) the quality of writing and storytelling was excellent, with the feel that we were moving along....that has gone now. It feels more like who much can we make out of this!

DarkChaplain
24-01-2015, 20:23
It felt like "moving along" because they covered a lot of events that people knew about. You knew where you stood with those events, in the grand scheme of the Heresy. Now, they're adding new plot elements to timeline, things the reader isn't aware of yet. They are actively trying to play with your expectations and preconceived notions.

You always knew where Prospero was headed. You know very little, or nothing at all, about recent story arcs, though. Of course that would lead to people questioning that content's relevance to the Heresy.

Bun Bun
25-01-2015, 00:53
I tend to notice that the Horus Heresy novels tend to move on in phases with short stories and audiodramas to fill in the gaps between those phases. I can see the Horus Heresy having 5 phases of which 2 have been completed.

1 - The Declaration - The build up to Istvaan III and Istvaan III itself.
2 - The Assault - Putting the loyalists on the back foot. Istvaan V, The Shadow Crusade, Signus Prime and the Thramas Crusade.
3 - The Gathering of Might - The traitors gathering resources/power/allies and the loyalists trying to buy more time to fortify Terra and bring in reinforcements. Good examples are the Battles of Molech, Paramar V and Tallarn for example. We may also see the operations of the Shattered Legions under the direction of Corax.
4 - The March of Terra - The traitors moving in on Terra itself but quite possibly also the White Scars and Blood Angels doing the same.
5 - The Battle of Terra - Self explanatory really.

The 2nd phase, which was pretty much about putting the loyalist on the back foot, ended with the novel The Unremembered Empire as it took a lot of plot threads that had been developed across a a lot of books, short stories and audio dramas and tied them up rather neatly whilst developing certain characters as a whole.

I believe the 3rd phase will cover the following plot points.

- The Shattered Legions - Disrupting Horus's plans to buy more time.
- The Knights Errant - The creation of what will become the Grey Knights and harassing the operations of Horus.
- Imperium Secundus - Sanguinius deciding enough is enough and deciding he is going to attempt breaking through to Terra whilst the Dark Angels decide they are going to do their best to stop the operations of Horus.
- The acquisition of resources - Several important battles including the Battles of Tallarn and Paramar V.
- Some of the Traitor Legions fully pledging themselves to the power of Chaos.

The next main novel is to be the Crimson King however the actions of the Shattered Legions and the various other smaller battles that occur in the Horus Heresy could allow BL to extend the 3rd phase for as long as they like.

29-01-2015, 14:31
I am sorry, but...

The history of the 7-day war in 1967 between Israel and several Arab states I am sure includes tens of thousands of pages of records in the respective military/intelligence archives - battle reports, intelligence analyses, strategic planning, tactical assessments, covert operations, geo-political ramifications, etc. Will put 99% of the people to sleep after about 20 minutes. But single-volume histories of the war have also been published. Engaging, fast paced, action filled, with piercing analysis, focussed on the causes, what actually impacted the course of the war, and the result. Guess which one is more readable?

Why not tell the story of the Horus Heresy that way first? Then add as much additional detail/aspects later - if the story was engaging, the expansions will fly off the shelves.

DarkChaplain
29-01-2015, 14:53
I am sorry, but...

The history of the 7-day war in 1967 between Israel and several Arab states I am sure includes tens of thousands of pages of records in the respective military/intelligence archives - battle reports, intelligence analyses, strategic planning, tactical assessments, covert operations, geo-political ramifications, etc. Will put 99% of the people to sleep after about 20 minutes. But single-volume histories of the war have also been published. Engaging, fast paced, action filled, with piercing analysis, focussed on the causes, what actually impacted the course of the war, and the result. Guess which one is more readable?

Why not tell the story of the Horus Heresy that way first? Then add as much additional detail/aspects later - if the story was engaging, the expansions will fly off the shelves.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Horus-Heresy-Collected-Visions/dp/1844164241

http://www.blacklibrary.com/horus-heresy/visions-of-heresy.html

They've already done that, and people wanted more. This is the result, and it sells like hot cakes.