PDA

View Full Version : The Land Raider

Jind_Singh
20-12-2014, 10:39
Who knows why Land Speeders and Land Raiders are called by those names?

I do now thanks to a really old White Dwarf!!!

The Land Raider pre-dates the Imperium by 1000's of years - based on a STC (Standard Template Construct), discovered by the Technomagus ARKHAN LAND, who was searching for a fabled and fully intact STC machine, while he didn't succeed he did find two STC for what became known as the Land Raider and Land Speeder.

A Forgeworld, Anvilus 9, dedicated to producing only these tanks made the Land Raider the main tank for ALL Imperial forces, not just the Astartes.

During the Heresy the Forgeworld was overrun and the Emperor recalled all Land Raiders still loyal from the Imperial Guard allocated them to the Astartes.

No one ever recalled his order since his incarceration to the Golden Throne!

Fun facts about Arkhan Land:

He wore and highly ostentatious wigs to hide his baldness, becoming bald at a very young age!!!

He had a pet psyber Monkey!!!

Fun facts about the Land Raider

13"6 ft high
34 ft long
20 ft wide
72 tons (81 fully laden)

The hull is 3.61 to 3.75ft thick!

Engine is a mighty 3,000bhp with a road speed of 34mph and cross-country speed of 32mph

The range is 387miles on the reactor only but the land raider can process almost anything as fuel and can go 1,200miles on a tank - talk about GREEN!

The tank is no slouch - it can take a punishing 65% grade and drive under water to a depth of 120ft

It can also traverse vertical obstacles of 6.2ft and cross 16ft trenches.

Stupid fact about the Land Raider

Yet for all its greatness it's single biggest weakness is rolling a 1 when making a difficult terrain check!

Why couldn't they make it immune to testing in the game rules!!!

A.T.
20-12-2014, 11:19
Yet for all its greatness it's single biggest weakness is rolling a 1 when making a difficult terrain check!Landraiders used to get dozer blades for the reroll. CSM players still get them but loyalists lost the option late in 4th ed with the dark angels codex and onwards.

There was also the land crawler, a tractor that had a couple of combat variants in epic.

zoggin-eck
20-12-2014, 11:39
Who knows why Land Speeders and Land Raiders are called by those names?

Land Raider? Because the writers were Judge Dredd/2000 AD fans and early 40k borrowed so much from it. :)

*** Err.... "really old" White Dwarf? ***

Myytti666
20-12-2014, 12:32
I recommend Imperial armory vol 2 to anyone interested in the history of Land Raiders.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Not Applicable
20-12-2014, 12:38
The speeder and the raider were named after their creator, Mr Henry Land.

Knifeparty
20-12-2014, 13:32
This was a really cool read. I love finding out things like this.

Not Applicable
20-12-2014, 14:08
No really the land speeders and raiders were named after their creator, a guy by the name of Land. Read it once ages ago.

Jind_Singh
20-12-2014, 17:28
WD 288
January 2004
US/CAD version

Bretonia on the cover

Models released for Blood Bowel and Mordheim

Bretonia for Warhammer

Characters from 3rd LOTR movie

Catch an models for 40k

Also The Imperial Infantrymans uplifting primer from black library!

And a cool pic of Peter Jackson checking out a WIP Mumak as the GW Return of the King book was either coming out or was out

Lord Damocles
20-12-2014, 17:33
He had a pet psyber Monkey!!!
Most important fact.

Ironbone
20-12-2014, 19:14
The real question is why I, or anyone else, want to write a fake article on Land Raiders?!
For trolling :p? It isn't the first time people do stupid things just because they (and possibly only they ) think it's funny.

SirBlackmane
20-12-2014, 19:45
The real question is why I, or anyone else, want to write a fake article on Land Raiders?!

Honestly, I thought most people knew about the Arkham Land explanation. Regardless of any lifting of the original source from Judge Dread (which happened a lot back then), that was the in-universe reasoning. It was good of you to post it up in case people didn't know.

For trolling [emoji14]? It isn't the first time people do stupid things just because they (and possibly only they ) think it's funny.
Possibly, but this has been established Canon for so long I'm surprised it was questioned at all.

Jind_Singh
20-12-2014, 20:53
It's so old it's new as the saying goes...

I haven't come across this before and my appetite for reading fluff is on par with the Nids need to devour biomass!

So I wasn't sure if it was so old it's kind of been taken for granted as the last two Space Marine codex books didn't mention Arkhan Land.

zoggin-eck
20-12-2014, 22:44
[QUOTE=J
The real question is why I, or anyone else, want to write a fake article on Land Raiders?![/QUOTE]

What exactly are you talking about? I don't think a single person said it was made up or doubted you, or thought it was "so old" - 40k had been around for 16 years by then and plenty of people here don't see 3rd edition as ancient.

Hrw-Amen
20-12-2014, 23:03
I am sure I read this way before WD 288, back in the dim and distant past of W40K fluff and even back to Rt days? More recently though (In model release times not W40k timeline times.) isn't he supposed to have been responsible for finding the STC or whatever lead to the Sicaran tanks as well(?) I guess they do have a certain Land Raider look to them even if not exactly the same the family likeness is undeniable.

I do wonder what they were called thoiugh in the really olden days before the Imperium, as they were around 1000s of years before, they must have called them something them and I am reasonably sure that would have been recorded somewhere in the STC programme for them. I doubt the original Dark Age of Technology designers designed both the Land Speeder and the Land Raiders back then, any mention of pre Imperial names for them anywhere, i don't recall reading anything on that?

A.T.
21-12-2014, 00:10
I do wonder what they were called thoiugh in the really olden days before the Imperium, as they were around 1000s of years before, they must have called them something them and I am reasonably sure that would have been recorded somewhere in the STC programme for them.The original STCs spat out designs on the fly based on local materials and equipment and the requests of their operators. They weren't pre-set designs.

SirBlackmane
21-12-2014, 06:18
I am sure I read this way before WD 288, back in the dim and distant past of W40K fluff and even back to Rt days? More recently though (In model release times not W40k timeline times.) isn't he supposed to have been responsible for finding the STC or whatever lead to the Sicaran tanks as well(?) I guess they do have a certain Land Raider look to them even if not exactly the same the family likeness is undeniable.

It's quite possible that the character Land predates this WD. Come to think of it, I think he was in the old Codex Imperialis, but my copy is buried, and I'm not digging it out now. It is cool to find little nuggets of lore though that you didn't know. With 25 years for it to build up there's literally a universe's worth of backstory. And no, the Sicaran was a kitbash of Land Raider and Predator/Rhino STCs by Ferrus Manus and Robute Guilliman (per HH2 Massacre). Heresy these days, but tech development was actually encouraged at the time.

The original STCs spat out designs on the fly based on local materials and equipment and the requests of their operators. They weren't pre-set designs.
They spat out variant designs based on the standard template. The template itself was preset.

Lord Damocles
21-12-2014, 11:34
Land dates back to at least White Dwarf 245 (UK) when the current Land Raider was released.

The boxout from the US 288 article is entirely copy-pasted from the UK 245 article.

A.T.
21-12-2014, 13:11
They spat out variant designs based on the standard template. The template itself was preset.I don't think the granularity of the template system has ever been specified - whether it contained sample vehicles or only components and construction guidelines. Certainly it was capable of designing the plans for a functioning landraider based on nothing more than an idle sketch or the vague wishes of an operator without having any prior landraider-shaped design.

T10
21-12-2014, 14:10
Notice that the terms "land speeder" and "land raider" were already in use in the Rogue Trader days, long before that article was written.

I'm guessing the original inspiriation came from the Star Wars land speeder...

-T10

zoggin-eck
22-12-2014, 12:44
Notice that the terms "land speeder" and "land raider" were already in use in the Rogue Trader days, long before that article was written.

I'm guessing the original inspiriation came from the Star Wars land speeder...

-T10

Yeah, mix of Star Wars and Dredd in my eyes. After all this time, I'm sure that one speeder at the start of the movie is still the better known "land speeder" :)

It just occurred to me, I've never seen someone proxy or convert a land speeder as a land speeder :P

Andy089
22-12-2014, 13:02
One can't help but wonder if they will ever flesh out Inquisitor "Storm"'s story about how he found the STC for the Storm Raven (with all it's derivatives), Storm Talon, Storm Bolter and how he created the first storm troopers.

Or Inquisitor "Heavy" with the STC of the Heavy Bolter and Heavy Flamer. Another interesting story arc would be the one of Inquisitor "Power" who obviously discovered the STCs for all the power weapons and Inquisitor "Thundaa", who found the Thunderfire cannon, the Thunder hammer and most importantly Thunderhawk.

lol. "Inquisitor Land" - yeah right GW. Makes total sense.

Leftenant Gashrog
22-12-2014, 15:10
lol. "Inquisitor Land" - yeah right GW. Makes total sense.

It does actually, the Land Speeder when originally named was a hoverer - its maximum altitude was such that it could cross a low wall (but go out of control the following turn if it was going more than half speed..) for which the 'Land' designation made simple sense, by the time they came up with the *Archmagos* Land fluff however the 'Land' Speeder had been depicted as a low-level flyer rather than a ground vehicle for the better part of a decade.

daveNYC
22-12-2014, 16:31
The Land Raider? See Judge Dredd: The Cursed Earth.

In universe though, it was rediscovered by some guy named 'Land'. Which I guess makes it a good thing that he wasn't a cartographer.

WLBjork
25-12-2014, 14:55
Some more tidbits:

The chassis was originally used as a tractor

The Eldar still have some of the tractor variants.

As for the STC, the general impression I get is that they were a combination of a really smart AI and pre-programmed designs. They needed to analyse raw materials, then select from a series of templates the one most suitable for those capabilities - and presumably modify the overall design if there were any size changes possible.

T10
25-12-2014, 22:18
One can't help but wonder if they will ever flesh out Inquisitor "Storm"'s story about how he found the STC for the Storm Raven (with all it's derivatives), Storm Talon, Storm Bolter and how he created the first storm troopers.

Very droll, sir :)

AndrewGPaul
26-12-2014, 00:06
Land dates back to at least White Dwarf 245 (UK) when the current Land Raider was released.

The boxout from the US 288 article is entirely copy-pasted from the UK 245 article.

The first mention of Arkhan Land (a Magos of the Adeptus Mechanicus, not an Inquisitor; what do they teach them in those schools?) is in the White Dwarf articles that went on to form the Vehicle Manual supplement for 1st edition 40k. WD128 or thereabouts, so 1990. Two years after the game was released.

AndrewGPaul
26-12-2014, 00:10
It just occurred to me, I've never seen someone proxy or convert a land speeder as a land speeder :P

Forge World's Javelin Land Speeder is possibly a nod to that.

Snake Tortoise
26-12-2014, 00:35
34mph is slow, but then I don't know why I found that surprising given all of the other bits of fluff I already knew about it

Anybody know the speeds of other space marine vehicles? Rhinos, bikes?

insectum7
26-12-2014, 02:29
34mph is slow, but then I don't know why I found that surprising given all of the other bits of fluff I already knew about it

If you had the references, you could do some really hacky math and get a reasonable guess. In 2nd edition vehicles had different movement rates, so you could get the max move of a Land Raider, the max move of a Rhino, and run some numbers. I don't think those speeds include the road bonus, so tack that on as well. It's rough, but it'd be something.

Still Standing
26-12-2014, 11:13
Imperial Armour books have the movement rates of pretty much every vehicle in the game.

T10
26-12-2014, 11:34

For a Rhino, the lexicanum site lists 70 kph road speed and 55 kph (34 mph) off-road. Bear in mind that off-road terrain plays a significant role in how fast a vehicle can travel, even if it's top speed is very high. If you're in danger of tipping over at 55 kph, it isn't wise to go any faster than that. :)

-T10

Latro_
26-12-2014, 23:48
hehe this reminds me of when we worked out how big one was when they first came out based on the scale of a marine... in the GW store we kinda worked out it was bigger than the store...

then obvious geek talk about living in a landraider since its that big, making one out of all the pointy sticks in the UK etc etc etc

those were the days