PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide please

MIGHT MAKES RIGHT
21-12-2014, 07:57
I know these threads pop up all the time but would really like to start a new army in the new year, I previously chose lizardmen but feel the models are lacking character and don't really like there core models, so this brings back to the drawing board I want an army thats loads of fun win lose or draw and has plenty of character and of course cool model range, any advice will be very much appreciated

Ramius4
21-12-2014, 08:35
Orcs & Goblins is usually the answer.

Spiney Norman
21-12-2014, 08:44
I know these threads pop up all the time but would really like to start a new army in the new year, I previously chose lizardmen but feel the models are lacking character and don't really like there core models, so this brings back to the drawing board I want an army thats loads of fun win lose or draw and has plenty of character and of course cool model range, any advice will be very much appreciated

Most of the armies have a good sense of character (admittedly the Saurus models are a little bland, but that kind of is their character), and most of them have a good model range. I think my advice would be look around the GW online store, or in the picture pages of the brb and come up with a 'short list' of armies you like the overall look of. On the other hand if you have a certain style of play in mind (eg castle up and shoot, horde infantry, elite Close combat, super-manouvreable) then note that down as well and give some thought to what you want from your overall hobby experience (are you into converting models, painting to a really high standard, more into the gaming aspect and want to build strong competitive lists etc) as each armies have different strengths and weaknesses for each.

'Fun' is essentially what you and your opponent make of it, I'm fairly sure I could have fun with any army if I was into the theme and me and my opponent both behave properly whether I get hammered or not.

MIGHT MAKES RIGHT
21-12-2014, 08:45
Yeah i do hear that alot and i agree the numbers involved worries me abit tho

Spiney Norman
21-12-2014, 08:48
Yeah i do hear that alot and i agree the numbers involved worries me abit tho

Regarding orcs and goblins?
Horde isn't the only way to play them, and imo goblins are not by any means the most competitive part of the list, if you theme around savage orcs you will have a strong competitive force without the need to buy oceans of models. Of course you might want some goblins, but they are fairly cheap to buy and quick to paint (speaking as someone who has painted about 150 of them).

MIGHT MAKES RIGHT
21-12-2014, 08:53
Thanks spiney I'm more into the collecting and modelling side of the hobby with an aim play now and again for fun not super competitive I also love the more close combat resilient armies really, get up close and lay the smack down!!!

Mithrilherz
21-12-2014, 09:03
Then also Warriors of Chaos might be a army for you.

But I have to admit that even possessing all Warhammer armies except Skaven and beastmen, orcs & goblins is one most the best fun armies:
Strong and unpredicatable, many many options to vary with, etc.
But or course you should like the color green.

MIGHT MAKES RIGHT
21-12-2014, 12:29
I think realistically its between Orcs and goblins, warriors of chaos, ogres, and beastmen I also liked the idea of mono khorne demons but they don't leave much variety and replay ability

stroller
21-12-2014, 13:49
Orcs & Goblins is ALWAYS the answer.

There are other answers, but save time - go green.

Lord Dan
21-12-2014, 13:57
Regarding model count, unless you're going goblin-heavy it's actually surprisingly difficult to run O&G armies with a ton of models. Typically you won't have much more than, say, an Empire army.

Spiney Norman
21-12-2014, 14:34
I think realistically its between Orcs and goblins, warriors of chaos, ogres, and beastmen I also liked the idea of mono khorne demons but they don't leave much variety and replay ability

I was kind of thinking ogres might fit actually, you'll typically have fewer models but imo there is much more scope for fun conversions with their larger bases and cool large monsters.

MIGHT MAKES RIGHT
22-12-2014, 11:57
Anymore advice anyone, I want an army with fun and character that's strong in close combat with good close combat and resilient characters but not an army that's sole strength is close combat tho, I also want an army with plenty of varied builds and lots of options

Malagor
22-12-2014, 12:09
That's Orcs for you then :)

Lord Dan
22-12-2014, 15:23
Agreed, Orcs. They can practically outshoot Dwarves, and have some hilarious-yet-strong magic to boot.

N00B
22-12-2014, 22:16
Goblins.

Orcs are optional unless you want to go competitive.

Squig Hoppers, Pump Wagons, Giants, Mangler Squigs, Fanatics (in core) and super-enormous-spiders-of-stompy-doom are all fun.

Artillery is solid (especially the doom divers).

In addition you get the usual advantage of cheap throw-away units of big hordes that look amazing.

Doommasters
22-12-2014, 22:40
Orcs & Goblins is usually the answer.

lots of character, compete in all areas of the game and everyone likes playing them.......the only downside is that they are a horde army and require a decent investment to getting going at higher points levels.

Kallstrom
23-12-2014, 22:30
I echo the voices of reason - go with the greenskins!

Fun army and rules, great conversions possibilities, cool characters, funny units, loads of different builds and they are forgiving to paint and always a pleasure to face in combat. :)

They got monsters, war machines, monsterous infantry, elite units, throw-away units, fluffy choices, wonky magic and if you are looking for conversion bits 40k has a whole range of Orks you could convert into the mix!

A friend of mine plays and OnG bs-based gun line with a spider shrine wizard coven (he had 7 wizards in a recent 3k game). OnG can be played in so many different ways, and when they are so random two games will never have to look and be the same. :)