PDA

View Full Version : Dark Elves not for everyone?

Ice_Reaver
27-06-2006, 07:51
i've started to assemble a dark elf army and havent bought many models, but i've had to raise the question, are they a difficult force to master? i'm a casual warhammer gamer and am usually only playing once a month. and i've heard

that dark elves are a very challenging army to learn, and that only experts can fully exploit the potential of the army. so i ask; should i turn my back on the druchii and try a different force? or would they be a fun yet challenging army to play and enjoy? just need some answers from dark elf veterans.

Donga666
27-06-2006, 08:24
As stated in the front of the book 'dark-elves are a difficult army to master' (or words to that effect). If you want LOTS of advice about using them and army composition, go to;

http://www.druchii.net

But they are quite hard to get to grips with, but when painted they are one of the nicest to look at.

Its your choice??

DeathlessDraich
27-06-2006, 09:38
The short answer is Yes.

It also depends on your opponents. If they are used to Dark elves, they might easily massacre a dark elf beginner. A succesful Ogre Kingdom army player switched to dark elves and was subsequently massacred in his first 2 games.

On the other hand, dark elves are very enjoyable for someone who enjoys a tactical battle.

You do have to start somewhere though.:)

Peachy
27-06-2006, 10:18
Definitely go for it! They're a hard army to use, but half the fun is the challenge (the other half is having the best models in the GW fantasy range by a mile!). You don't have to be a tactical genius to get the most out of them, you'll probably just need a couple of games to get the hang of their style. But that's the same with most armies (except Brets :)).

Donga666
27-06-2006, 10:55
Some fine advice:

http://www.druchii.net/viewforum.php?f=3&sid=0db7da46c1f2578ceba6ac9bc34d0943

And army choice:

http://www.druchii.net/viewforum.php?f=4&sid=0db7da46c1f2578ceba6ac9bc34d0943

I must admit I have a hankering for a Dark elf army, it was my first army back in the 2nd edition days.

Back when all this was fields :D

sigur
27-06-2006, 12:02
I'm not sure, having never played anotgher army than DE, but I think that they're really a bit hard to master compared to other armies out there.

Having started last november/december, I haven't won a single game yet (apart from one against a very unexperienced player which was a massacre), maybe because my regular opponents are a competative Southlands-player and a very unforgiving Dwarfs player, so I either have to run up against a horde of ultra-mobile skirmishers with poisoned missiles, backed up by really tough heavy infantry and magic or a brick of elf-eating stuntis with masses of artillery and handguns.[/whining]

I managed to achieve a draw here and there, but never really _won_. On the other hand, playing an army such as DE can be very satisfying if something works out.

The only advise I can give you is never to underestimate your Spearelfs. They're worth every point.

kyussinchains
27-06-2006, 19:31
they are tough to play, even if you pick a solid army, if you dont use it right, you'll probably be punished.

It's only in the last year or so that I've started winning games with my dark elves, I spent a long time assimilating all the info I could find on druchii.net

you can win games from the get go, but the army isnt very forgiving, you won't win a battle of attrition, but you have the ability to avoid that situation in almost every situation.

Dark riders are the key, I wouldnt recommend going into battle without at least 10 of these guys, preferably 15+

a very successful list on druchii uses a big unit of dark riders led by the army standard with the dread banner, a flank charge by a fear causing unit led by a hero almost always guarantees an autobreak.

They are the best looking miniatures around hands down, and they have some cool troops and rules, if you like the idea of playing the most evil army around, play dark elves.

Issued on behalf of the "play druchii" initiative

Lord_Sanguinius
27-06-2006, 22:36
well, i'm no veteran but i think you should play them, despite the first few game difficulties, they can be fun and rewarding to play.

Alathir
28-06-2006, 08:49
Yeah, the Dark Elves are a difficult army to master, but the benefits of using armies like that is that when you do win, its extremely satisfying.

Ice_Reaver
28-06-2006, 18:56
ok well thanks everyone, i think i'm convinced to keep building the army of DE.

instead of making another thread i wanted to know if anyone could tell me when the DE army book is suppose to be released? or if someone could give me the link to a rumour thread that does tell when that would be great. i've purchased the 6th edition book but if its fairly soon i'm wondering if i should just buy that army book and get the new minis if its not too far down the road.

Zethal
29-06-2006, 07:49
i believe the latest rumor is early 2008. However they may actaully be releasing army books in a decent timley manner, so this could be completely false.

Good choice sticking with DE. They were my first army as well, while they are not the easiest army to play, i believe i learned the game quicker then some of my playmates who used more forgiving armies. Movement becomes very important quick with DE and it something that a lot of my opponents still have not picked up on. And bait tactics.

Scythe
29-06-2006, 12:12
Current rumours are that 7th edition will have roughly the same order of army book releases as 6th edition, so they are some time away. Orcs and Empire get done first, after that MAYBE dark elves or vampire counts.