PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for asymmetrical scenarios?

Stuffburger
22-12-2014, 21:51
Hi everyone.

I've been trying to think up some asymmetrical scenarios to spice up a game. Specifically something that would work for a larger points value of O&G vs. Chaos- I've got something like quadruple my usual opponents point value of models.

My first though was that the larger force has to attack a fortified position (with walls, buildings, hills etc.), but the problem with that is chaos's near total lack of ranged units. Unless I went out of my way to bring no war machines, and minimal archers all I'd want to do is hang back and chuck spears, lob rocks and dive dooms until he comes out.

Any ideas? Thanks!

N00B
22-12-2014, 22:10
Terrain is the obvious advantage but there are also things you can try with lower model counts:

Attacking a college of wizards/coven of shamans - defending player gets 6-8 wizards for free (lots of magic options but not that many extra powerdice) or they start with an arcane ruins to help power their spells.

If OnG outnumber Chaos then playing with terrain such as rivers and forests that deny steadfast can help. You could even just declare at the start that the whole battlefield is a forest. OnG vs Chaos with effectively no steadfast rule could be ok like that... maybe.

Maybe some type of gods ascendant scenario? Warriors of chaos/beastmen get a free roll (for every unit) on the EotG table like chosen do (and they get 2 rolls), demons lose demonic instability and become unbreakable.

Finally you could promise your opponent that you would still be prepared to be their friend even if they brought along the Nurgle Demon Prince (although arguably OnG have less difficulty than most handling this)

Leogun_91
22-12-2014, 22:15
Hi everyone.

I've been trying to think up some asymmetrical scenarios to spice up a game. Specifically something that would work for a larger points value of O&G vs. Chaos- I've got something like quadruple my usual opponents point value of models.

My first though was that the larger force has to attack a fortified position (with walls, buildings, hills etc.), but the problem with that is chaos's near total lack of ranged units. Unless I went out of my way to bring no war machines, and minimal archers all I'd want to do is hang back and chuck spears, lob rocks and dive dooms until he comes out.

Any ideas? Thanks!"Due to the arcane storm surrounding the city few projectiles are able to reach the assailed chaos troops. Any ranged weapon fired against a target within 12 of a building must roll a d6 before firing, it may only fire if the roll is a 6. This effect ends if the green skins take the central tower, disrupting the ritual."

Darnok
23-12-2014, 07:45
Another rather obvious idea is to play "hold out" games - you are outnumbered by a significant margin (2:1 or even 3:1), and "victory" is yours if you manage to survive a certain number of turns. Or manage to hold a specific objective for the length of the game. Or get a certain spell off before you are overrun. Something like that. You will obviously want to playtest it a few times, to make it challenging and fun for both sides.

tneva82
23-12-2014, 07:57

One way to migitate that is a) provide good defensive terrain that slows down damage that does b) there's time limit. Sure you can whittle down the enemy force but by the time you have done it you haven't archieved your goal=you lost.

Avian
23-12-2014, 08:37
One major problem with asymmetrical scenarios is how to make them fun to play. I've played quite a few of them and if one side is vastly outnumbered they have a tendency to bunker up somewhere, not move much and just chuck dice all game. The issue is not designing a scenario where the smaller side has a chance to win, that's fairly easy.

For an enjoyable game, I'd suggest that the bigger side has no more than 50% more points than the smaller.

sedgey
23-12-2014, 10:48
Try a "breakout" type game? Chaos deploy in the middle, and they have to get more units off the table (any edge) than are destroyed. O&G divide their forces into 6, and assign each a number. Each turn roll a dice to see which moves onto the table. Assign a number 2-5 to each table edge; roll a dice to see which edge each unit moves on from. 1 = Chaos player's choice, 6 = O&G player's choice.

Alternately, try the fortified position idea, but the other way around - a small force of Goblins were left to guard the Warboss' favourite pet squig/boar/wyvern/halfling. The remnants of a large Chaos force is intent on killing that beast in revenge for the loss of their warlord's favoured axe/plague toad/disc/elven slave, and have to do so before the rest of the O&G force (in reserve) crush them.

theunwantedbeing
23-12-2014, 10:56
Reinforcements tend to work well for asymmetric games.

So you play say 12 turns rather than 6.
Each side only gets a portion of their own army to start with, with the rest turning up either all at once or in chunks. You can throw in a random aspect like having to wait D6 turns or whatever feels appropriate so at times one side may well end out with vastly more points than the other, only for it to swing the opposite direction a couple of turns later.

Another similar method is to play where one side has effectively unlimited numbers, but with those extra troops only arriving to replace whole units that were lost.
This also lets you play much larger games than you have the points for, on a board that doesn't have the same amount of room.

You can make it more interesting by having troops arrive from certain terrain features on the board, like a river or a cave rather than just a board edge.

StygianBeach
23-12-2014, 11:06
This idea is just off the top off my head, but what about starting the game where your opponent outnumbers you. For example Chaos has 2000 points and Orcs have 1000 points.

Then at the start of every third turn you roll a D6, and deploy another 1000 points on that table edge (1 Chaos choose, 2-5 predetermined edge, 6 Orc choose).

Chaos wins if you have no more Orcs to deploy and Chaos units still live.

Orcs win if Chaos is dead before there are no more Orcs to deploy.

Orcs would have to write the 1000 point lists before the game starts, and must select the list to be deployed before the dice roll for table edge.

Lord Dan
23-12-2014, 15:16
I remember an old White Dwarf that featured a rear guard scenario in which a small High Elf army was attempting to stop a large Goblin army. It was basically a 2:1 scale game, and the High Elves' objective was to prevent as many goblin units from crossing the table as possible, while the goblins were attempting to push units through to the other side. Looked like fun, and the goblin army was beautifully painted to boot. I wish I could remember the White Dwarf that was in...

SuperHappyTime
23-12-2014, 15:37
Place a 1000 point army of elves or other "order" faction in the center, who attack the nearest unit.

mkhollv
23-12-2014, 15:48
Dont worry about imbalance in asymetrical scenarios. After the first match, swap the positions on a second match.

Colonel Mayhem
23-12-2014, 16:24
One cool scenario I remember from an earlier edition was 6-7 bretonnian characters defending two river crossings against a huge goblin horde. You could basically substitute them for any other race with acces to awesome characters such as Chaos, Empire, Elves etc. They weren't expected to win but kick as much ass as long as possible.

Dorack
23-12-2014, 21:31
With a friend we are planning a game where his orcs & gobbos ambush my dwarf high king and his retinue. We were planning to field same points armies, but dwarfs would have no warmachines (gyro allowed) and as few bodies as possible with máximum elite units, banners, and héroes, deployed in a sort of marching column at the middle of the table. O&G could field anything and deployed con both sides of the table, probably in woods.

Still figuring if using regular victory conditions or not.

I look forward to using oathstones for the first time.

boli
24-12-2014, 02:15
You play Dwarves vs Legion of The Eternity King with new magic rules.

Too soon?

mkhollv
10-08-2015, 22:11
Plan a complete assymetrical mission and then play two matches switching positions.

Enviado desde mi SM-G3815 mediante Tapatalk