PDA

View Full Version : Something crazy? Playing Fantasy Battle with 40K rules?

MordrekDaMean
23-12-2014, 19:49
I have a sneaking suspicion, based on the rumors and all the crazy new bases for 40K, that Fantasy may be getting a similar rule set. Im probably completely wrong, but it got me thinking. How would Warhammer Fantasy play using the 40K rules? As anyone tried this before? As far as I can work out you'd use the 40K rules as is, but with the movement stat and magic rules ported over. Probably the ridden monster rules too.

Lord Dan
23-12-2014, 21:24
As you stated, it would be fairly straightforward.

What I'd like to see is a version of Warhammer/40K utilizing the Warmachine mechanics.

Charistoph
23-12-2014, 23:44
What I'd like to see is a version of Warhammer/40K utilizing the Warmachine mechanics.

The hard part with that is the Warcaster/Warlock dynamic.

PirateRobotNinjaofDeath
24-12-2014, 00:49
I don't get why in the hell this rumour still exists. It's ridiculous. How does converting WHFB to 40k rules solve ANY of GW's problems? They had a skirmish-based WHFB game...it was called Mordheim and GW let it die. If they bring it back it will be a supplement just the same.

kikibobo
26-12-2014, 19:20
I don't get why in the hell this rumour still exists. It's ridiculous. How does converting WHFB to 40k rules solve ANY of GW's problems? They had a skirmish-based WHFB game...it was called Mordheim and GW let it die. If they bring it back it will be a supplement just the same.

That is a fair point. I do not have a problem with GW taking 40k rules and adding them to WHFB from time to time when those rules will enhance WHFB, but I think making them identical is a bad call for them. Obviously there will be some differences due to the block fighting versus skirmish and the various fantasy elements compared to sci-fi, but all in all, I think they should remain different. The problem is obviously that 40k is doing SO much better, so I am sure GW just goes, "Why dont we just make 40k with elf skins and then everyone will love WHFB!" When in reality they can just steal a few ideas to improve the game play, invigorate it with a big event to spark attention (ie End Times) and hope and pray that people are drawn back into it.

PirateRobotNinjaofDeath
26-12-2014, 19:27
That is a fair point. I do not have a problem with GW taking 40k rules and adding them to WHFB from time to time when those rules will enhance WHFB, but I think making them identical is a bad call for them. Obviously there will be some differences due to the block fighting versus skirmish and the various fantasy elements compared to sci-fi, but all in all, I think they should remain different. The problem is obviously that 40k is doing SO much better, so I am sure GW just goes, "Why dont we just make 40k with elf skins and then everyone will love WHFB!" When in reality they can just steal a few ideas to improve the game play, invigorate it with a big event to spark attention (ie End Times) and hope and pray that people are drawn back into it.

40K is a garbage tabletop game. People like it more because SciFi is a more popular genre than fantasy, and they'd rather play a game with guns, tanks, aliens, and giant robots than elves, dwarfs, and magic.

Whereas, by contrast, the greater complexity and strategic depth is what draws a great many players to WHFB and away from 40K.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kikibobo
26-12-2014, 19:38
40K is a garbage tabletop game. People like it more because SciFi is a more popular genre than fantasy, and they'd rather play a game with guns, tanks, aliens, and giant robots than elves, dwarfs, and magic.

Whereas, by contrast, the greater complexity and strategic depth is what draws a great many players to WHFB and away from 40K.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree that I am personally more drawn to the depth of the character/feel of 40k (at least prior to End Times), but I personally enjoy the rules of fantasy much more. I do have my problems with some of the fantasy rules though and wouldnt mind revamping them, even if that means stealing 40k rules and plopping them down in fantasy. I do NOT want the game to become Mordheim though which is what combining the rules would essentially make it.

Galushi
27-12-2014, 00:18
I love a lot of the 40k models, and sometimes I just want to blast apart stuff with guns, but I generally dislike the ruleset. For example, getting one save between cover, armor, and ward makes no sense to me. Why does someone with no armor and someone with say flak armor get the same save in cover? I much prefer the WFB way of giving the shooter to hit penalties instead of a cover save. Sure it reduces the amount of dice rolling but doesnt make much sense to me.

MrKeef
27-12-2014, 05:52
I love a lot of the 40k models, and sometimes I just want to blast apart stuff with guns, but I generally dislike the ruleset. For example, getting one save between cover, armor, and ward makes no sense to me. Why does someone with no armor and someone with say flak armor get the same save in cover? I much prefer the WFB way of giving the shooter to hit penalties instead of a cover save. Sure it reduces the amount of dice rolling but doesnt make much sense to me.

Maybe it's too keep the game moving at a more reasonable pace, as shooting is a lot more common in 40k.

The Fantasy method seems a lot nicer and more accurate, but would be a pain to do all the time.

Charistoph
28-12-2014, 02:19

I don't find this surprising, 40K started out as a modification of Fantasy, after all.

Liber
29-12-2014, 14:10
I don't find this surprising, 40K started out as a modification of Fantasy, after all.

40k still is a modification of Fantasy :D

How you boys liking them Challenges and new Psychic phase? :evilgrin:

Argive
31-12-2014, 11:35
not liking psychic phase at all. Challange is good way to neutralise squads for a turn or two :D

But surely in WHFB you can just do a skirmish anyway.

I do like rules for regiments/formations/banners etc. I think its a lot more strategicaly involved then just standing in sme spot rolling to hit then to wound dice...

Besides space marines got like more combined fluff and models then all the other amries.. kinda lame.

GrandmasterWang
01-01-2015, 01:15
I bring 40k units into Warhammer fantasy and we play them in our Chillhammer group sometimes. Makes for a much better game (as fantasy ruleset is better than 40k)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Galushi
01-01-2015, 02:06
I bring 40k units into Warhammer fantasy and we play them in our Chillhammer group sometimes. Makes for a much better game (as fantasy ruleset is better than 40k)

What kind of units? and do you adapt rules or just "count as" something else?

GrandmasterWang
01-01-2015, 05:20
What kind of units? and do you adapt rules or just "count as" something else?

My mates imperial guard we have brought in. (Catachans and cadians). Also several special characters such as Ghazghkull, Angron and most of the space marine special characters we have come up with equivalent warhammer rules for.

For example in our Chillhammer group a marine attack bike is 175 pts. Land speeder is 275. Angron is 650. Captain Sicarus is 275 (counts as a bsb) etc etc.

Imperial guard weapons teams are adjusted warhammer weapon teams (Autocannon is 2 strength 5 shots for example) , Lascannon is a Strength 8 bolt thrower.

All the 40k units are not competitive (as homebrew units should be) but accepted by our chill group for fun games. For example my mate enjoys fielding the "Heroes of the Imperium" warhammer army which is 2500 points of space marines and about 13 models lol. He has pulled off a couple good wins with it vs 'proper' Warhammer armies.

The game is what you make it after all and the Warhammer ruleset is a toolbox. I do also play normal games at either a gw or gaming club if I want a more 'tournament' experience' but for playing with mates where we want to use nicely painted figures why not combine the 2.

Some people take RAW so seriously and I don't see the point when playing with mates.

Hive Tyrant is a 500 point pick based on Greater Daemons, oop crablike Carnifex is 175 points and we have brought many 40k units into our Chillhammer circle.

We have recently brought in Tiny the dota hero (Reaper earth elemental figure) at 200 points.

I am currently working on the rules for Lorgar the primarch who will either be 650 points like Angron or 600.

All units start from a template of a Fantasy model and get built/tinkered from there. Then if they pass the play testing test they get added to our pool of selectable units. For example Angron is effectively a super souped up Doombull rules wise. If they are too powerful then they go back to the tinkering board until playable.

Some people would scoff at what we do but at the end of the day so long as we have fun with our epic Warhammer games then :)

High Marshall Helbrecht and all the Space Marine heros are based off the Empire Grand Master profile. The High Marshall is 325 points and I will often use him to lead my Dogs of War army. (Bearmen, venators, alcatani fellowship etc). The fluff effectively being that the High Marshall has become stranded on the Warhammer world but through fource of will and skill has recruited the disparate regiments of reknown who were left leaderless after a particularly devastating defeat (5k battle we did ages ago).

If anyone is interested in any of the Chillhammer units rules/ points I am happy to post them.

I did consider setting up a website at some stage devoted to my groups epic battles and custom/tweaked unit.

We also tweak certain units (ie monsters). For example Bloodletters are still 12 points each ala 7th but only initiative 3 and use the 7th rules still.

Galushi
02-01-2015, 07:28
That's pretty cool, and I love coming with new rules for things that aren't quite in the setting. Usually pretty easy to take existing rules similar to what you want, and always err on the side of making it too expensive instead of being too good. I have rules for a 60mm x 60mm Runic Stone Golem for Dwarfs, and some Runepriests similar to War Priests.

I had been thinking of converting some Grey Knights somehow into like automaton fighting robots. Try to maybe scratch off or cover the iconography a bit, maybe replace the stormbolters with crossbows or Irondrake guns. Might make some cool monstrous infantry.