PDA

View Full Version : 3000 pts ET tourney with High Elves

Shadeseraph
24-12-2014, 11:47
My LGS has got the ET bug, and has decided to start a small, 8 player tournament. As such, I've joined the battle, even if I'm not that fond of ET and its SC. On the other side, it's a good chance to kill all those damn SCs.

Right now, the rules are as follow: Everything from the ET books is allowed. ET: Khaine magic is in effect. A dispelled spell doesn't count against re-casting the same spell, only straight failed rolls. The results of the battle are measured on a win/lose/draw basis (not 0-20).

My own, personal restrictions are as follow:
1-No way in hell I'm using the Host of the Eternal King or the Host of the Phoenix King lists. Death to Malekith!
2-I'd rather avoid using the Aestyrion list, too. Tyrion is a tool that has betrayed the High elves, and has allowed Morathi and Teclis to control him. If I end using it, no Dark Elf unit is allowed in my army.
3-Even if I'm using the vanilla HE list, Phoenix Guard, Phoenixes of all kinds, Sisters of Avelorn and Anointed aren't allowed in the army. We are the Godless swords of Ulthuan: all the gods are just another form of Chaos, and those who use their powers aren't welcomed here.
4-Special Characters are there to be murdered, not to be taken. The only SCs deserving some kind of respect (and not that much, either) are Eltharion and Alith Anar.

Without preamble, these are the lists I've been thinking about. I'm not happy about the result (they both use certain elements I tend to despise in normal games), but the Magic of the End Times kind of forces me to play this way, as my preferred approach, MSU, is highly vulnerable to magic missile spam, which is very easy under these rules.

Host of the Godless Swords v1
Lords (1246pts)

Archmage (330pts)
Elven Steed, High Magic, Wizard Level 4
Book of Hoeth, Ironcurse Icon, Obsidian Amulet

Prince (271pts)
Heavy Armour, Ithilmar Barded Elven Steed, Shield
Dawnstone, Enchanted Shield, Giant Blade, Potion of Foolhardiness

Prince (645pts)
Heavy Armour, Shield, Lion Cloak, Star Dragon
Star Lance, Dragonhelm, Talisman of Preservation, The Other Trickster's Shard

Heroes (317pts)

Mage (145pts)
Lore of Metal, Wizard Level 2
Dispel Scroll

Noble (172pts)
Battle Standard Bearer, Dragon Armour, Ithilmar Barded Elven Steed, Shield
Charmed Shield, Luckstone, Ogre Blade

Core (775pts)

Archers (130pts)
12x Archer, Musician

Ellyrian Reavers (112pts)
Champion
6x Ellyrian Reaver w/ Bow

Champion

Silver Helms (421pts)
Champion, Musician, Standard Bearer
17x Silver Helm w/ Shields

Rare (310pts)

Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower (70pts)

Great Eagle (50pts)

Great Eagle (50pts)

Special (353pts)

Sword Masters of Hoeth (353pts)
Champion, Musician, 21x Sword Master
Standard Bearer w/ Banner of the World Dragon

Host of the Godless Swords v2
Lords (606pts)

Archmage (330pts)
Elven Steed, High Magic, Wizard Level 4
Book of Hoeth, BRB - Ironcurse Icon, BRB - Obsidian Amulet

Prince (276pts)
Heavy Armour, Ithilmar Barded Elven Steed, Shield
Dawnstone, Dragonhelm, Giant Blade, Potion of Foolhardiness

Heroes (642pts)

Mage (145pts)
Lore of Metal, Wizard Level 2
Dispel Scroll

Noble (172pts)
Battle Standard Bearer, Dragon Armour, Ithilmar Barded Elven Steed, Shield
Enchanted Shield, Luckstone, Ogre Blade

Noble (325pts)
Dragon Armour
Griffon w/ Swiftsense, Swooping Strike
Star Lance, Charmed Shield, The Other Trickster's Shard

Core (752pts)

Archers (130pts)
12x Archer, Musician

Champion

Champion

Silver Helms (398pts)
Champion, Musician, Standard Bearer
16x Silver Helm w/ Shields

Rare (310pts)

Great Eagle (50pts)

Great Eagle (50pts)

Special (683pts)

Dragon Princes of Caledor (175pts)
5x Dragon Prince, Musician
Standard Bearer w/ Banner of Eternal Flame

Dragon Princes of Caledor (155pts)
5x Dragon Prince, Musician

Sword Masters of Hoeth (353pts)
Champion, Musician, 21x Sword Master
Standard Bearer w/ Banner of the World Dragon

Both are pushy in their approach, and the main difference is that the first adds a third strong offensive unit (the dragon), while the second adds some more utility in the form of a couple units of dragon princes and a griffon noble. This actually changes how the list works quite a bit. The second list bleeds more points from units, and the griffon noble is clearly more vulnerable to magic (which is a big deal with ET magic in place), but it also has an easier time with chaff heavy armies. Also, the dragon is slightly better protected against magic, though I can't avoid but feel that a dragon armor and an Obsidian Lodestone might be the better choice here, specially with death being so powerful under these rules. Finally, swordmasters over White Lions because hordes are still a thing around here, and they help much more against those.

High magic on the main mage is a no brainer. With the book, I can pretty much make sure I get the 3++ without any problem. Unforging is my answer against too many threats for my taste, but it is still quite reliable under these rules: I can 2 dice it reliably, and once Nagash, Karl Franz or Malekith have been stripped of a couple magic items they are much easier to crack. On the other side, I'm just as vulnerable to it.

I'm a bit concerned about the second mage. I'm not completely sure he's worth it, though metal offer some strong support (enchanted blades, Final Transmutation, Glittering Robe, Searing Doom...). Same with the dispel scroll. It can help against that sudden dwellers, but it's costly, and I'm not quite sure the enemy is going to use it either. I've been thinking that under this ruleset the Forbidden rod, a power scroll or even the wand of jet might be better. The power scroll, specially, looks like a solid way to break that Final Transmutation or 2D6 Searing Doom once the enemy's dispel pool has been depleted. In fact, it's tempting to swap the mage for an archmage, to get the ET spell with him and use the power scroll to get the 2++ on that critical magic phase.

Finally, the Star Dragon army should be able to use Aestyrion rules, and, to be fair, it should benefit from Murderous Prowess more than from Martial Prowess. So I guess I could work with that, even if that means I'd be working with Tyrion.

So, I'd love to hear any comment and suggestion. I'm specifically looking for input into which list should I take, and on all the issues mentioned, but I'm open to any suggestions, or any points I should be aware of.

Elyeva
25-12-2014, 11:11
May it be an idea to swap your star dragon for Imrik of Malekith? They are T7 elves, more durable imho. If you play an end times list...

Shadeseraph
25-12-2014, 11:22
May it be an idea to swap your star dragon for Imrik of Malekith? They are T7 elves, more durable imho. If you play an end times list...

Self imposed restriction:
1-No Host of the eternity King, period. No Host of the Phoenix King, either. Death to Malekith!
4-Special Characters are there to be murdered, not to be taken. The only SCs deserving some kind of respect (and not that much, either) are Eltharion and Alith Anar.

Those are non-negotiable.

Taking Imrik would be an straight improvement over this, and there is some space to wiggle points for him. Malekith would be harder to fit, as the point is taking two good hammers, and he costs way too much. Also, he is fairly vulnerable to magic (specially metal), so I wouldn't be all that fond of taking him, either way. Finally, making the army HotEK would also improve it hugely. All the key things here get a large boost out of Murderous Prowess.

It's a moot point, as I won't take a HotEK or HotPK army even if that means I lose all my games.

EDIT: Correction: there is not enough space to fit Imrik either. Even reducing core to minimum and trimming on RBTs, I can't fit him without removing something essential.

Sarael
30-12-2014, 07:08
Go straight HE. Rebel against the Bitch Queen Malekith!

Shadeseraph
30-12-2014, 13:45
Go straight HE. Rebel against the Bitch Queen Malekith!

Done that. Second out of 8 due to painting scores (didn't have enough time to repaint my army. Most of it was from when I was 12).

With this, I'm out of ET Magic. Seriously, this wasn't just good, it was brutal. 3++ every single round, too much maneuverability to be able to confront it reliably...

And that's despite using chaos ascendant rules plus Khaine magic, and all my opponents being legion of chaos (1 khorne player with 4 skullcannons and 2 nurgle players).

Who said you had to follow Malekith to fight against chaos?