PDA

View Full Version : Cost effective VC's

Bigman
24-12-2014, 23:59
Hi there, long time player of fantasy.

I'm considering a VC army. I want some flexibility on characters but I so want my main lord to be Vlad, for fluff and personal reasons.

Happy to make it a UL army list too.

My question was for anyone who has a VC army - how did you keep it as cheap as possible?

Answers as to how you made savings/alternative models (mantic good?) would be helpful.

I would probably want 100+ zombies, 60+ skeles

40-50 TOmb guard

Plus a terrogheist.

Plus other stuff as recommended

CountUlrich
25-12-2014, 00:06
Grave guard are better than tomb guard imho. Mantic zombies save money and are better sculpts, their skeletons would also save money but are worse scultps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigman
25-12-2014, 00:23
Thanks. I had considered the skeles from Mantic but will have another look...I do like the GW ones.

SimaoSegunda
25-12-2014, 00:28
The battalion box has a decent saving, also VC characters are quite customisable, so you can vary their points cost quite a lot. This means that the 2-3 characters you want to use when starting the army can just be given more upgrades as the army expands, without needing to buy new ones.

Unit fillers are something you may want to consider, too. I have VC and OnG armies, and I've found that unit fillers with a bunch of goblins fighting zombies or skellies gets me a filler that can be used whichever army I'm fielding.

Bigman
25-12-2014, 09:24
The battalion box has a decent saving, also VC characters are quite customisable, so you can vary their points cost quite a lot. This means that the 2-3 characters you want to use when starting the army can just be given more upgrades as the army expands, without needing to buy new ones.

Unit fillers are something you may want to consider, too. I have VC and OnG armies, and I've found that unit fillers with a bunch of goblins fighting zombies or skellies gets me a filler that can be used whichever army I'm fielding.

Did you use scenery kits? The garden of more sett seems ideal...

MasterSplinter
25-12-2014, 10:06
Regarding skeletons you could have a look for these: http://wargamesfactory.com/webstore/myths-and-legends/wgf-ml002 http://s1255.photobucket.com/user/Mioumboy/media/Skeletons%20Alternative/WargamesSkeletons05_zps29abd176.jpg.html

18€ for 30 minis, you won´t get it cheaper. The sculpts themselves are pretty good, even thoug they are a little bit flimsy, but you can prevent breaking by doing the spear option and glue the end tips of the spears on the bases.

Other than that VC/Undead legions are the cheapest army to build up if you are going for alternatives. Almost any producer of minis has some sort of undead in their range. You could have a look at reaper bones bat swarms, ghosts, banshees etc.

And, of course, there´s the range of mantics undead, some of the best tabletop minis when it comes to price, durability and look.

GrandmasterWang
26-12-2014, 08:06
The mantic skeletons are pathetic, I wouldn't recommend them. The zombies are ok though.

VC gw skeletons are amazing and by far the best on the market by a golden mile.

All of this epic detail comes with a downside though in that if you just want to do a quick horde dry brush style paint job the VC ones from Games Workshop will take longer as they have lots of nice detail on them. They look amazing though. The blow all the other skeletons out of the water visually.

If you wanted some bland skeletons for painting up quickly then I would recommend the wargames factory ones. A white undercoat, wash and dry brush and they are imo pretty table ready and look great in a big mob where the individual isn't so important. Id pick those over the mantic ones anyday. Classic, plain generic animated skeletons. Great for a core force.

Gw VC skeletons look a lot more Gothic and fancy (amazing minis) but they dont lend themselves to speed painting nearly as well

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

PirateRobotNinjaofDeath
26-12-2014, 08:56
I second the recommendations for WGF skeletons. Theyre cheap and look great.

Skeletons are a good way to reduce the cost of your force. Zombies are expensive, and you need a whack of them. Run skeletons for core and you only need a 30-pack of Mantic zombies for Raise Dead and youre golden.

As for cost-effectiveness elsewhere, might I suggest running a double blender build. 1100 points in two models is about as cheap as you can get. Put them in skeletons or black knights for best effect.

Elsewhere a terrorgheist is a decent buy for the points. Vargheists are as well. Grave Guard / Tomb Guard are really expensive for a unit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SimaoSegunda
26-12-2014, 09:33
Did you use scenery kits? The garden of more sett seems ideal...

I have done, yeah. The small building from the watchtower is now a small house with goblin archers stood on the roof shooting zombies.