PDA

View Full Version : DE scourge weapons in box related question

Althenian Armourlost
26-12-2014, 02:44
Hi there!

I want to try and make the most of the 6 FA slots in the DE formation by having 3 disposable squads of peek-a-boo scourges, but I need to know what amount of each weapon comes in the box? When factoring the $-cost of this investment, I will need to know how many haywire blasters and heat lances I need to pick up on bits websites.

I want to have 2x4 haywire blaster squads, and 1x4 heat lance squad.

Thanks for your time!

Voss
26-12-2014, 03:39
1 of each according to the product description on the website. so assuming you bought 3 boxes, you'd need 5 and 1.

Althenian Armourlost
26-12-2014, 05:50
1 of each according to the product description on the website. so assuming you bought 3 boxes, you'd need 5 and 1.

Thanks, I hadn't noticed that in the description.

BTJ
26-12-2014, 14:15
Actually, IIRC there's two Dark Lances. That said, I haven't held the sprue in like 3 years, so there is a lot of room for error there

Lord Damocles
26-12-2014, 15:50
Only the one lance according to the pictures of the sprues on the GW site.

Spiney Norman
26-12-2014, 16:00
Hi there!

I want to try and make the most of the 6 FA slots in the DE formation by having 3 disposable squads of peek-a-boo scourges, but I need to know what amount of each weapon comes in the box? When factoring the $-cost of this investment, I will need to know how many haywire blasters and heat lances I need to pick up on bits websites.

I want to have 2x4 haywire blaster squads, and 1x4 heat lance squad.

Thanks for your time!

It has one of each heavy/special weapon scourge can take, from memory that is
Haywire blaster
Heat lance
Dark lance
Blaster
Shredder
Splinter cannon
Plus 5 splinter carbines

It's fairly easy to conver additional weapons if you need to. I used the cast-off haywire blasters from my talos, cutting the barrel off spare dark lances and heat lances and attaching the HWB barrels worked the best.

If you are buying three boxes you'll have 3 heat lances and 3 haywire blasters to get you started.

Althenian Armourlost
27-12-2014, 11:02
I looked at the bits prices for scourge heavy weapons, and even if I was using haywire blasters from my talos/chronos t convert extras, the bill for the bits needed is still almost enough for another box of scourges from darksphere.

Therefore, I am going to buy 4 boxes, and make:
4 scourges with haywire blasters
4 scourges with haywire blasters made from dark lances and talos HWBs
4 scourges with heat lances
4 scourges with splinter cannons

inq.serge
29-12-2014, 01:50
I looked at the bits prices for scourge heavy weapons, and even if I was using haywire blasters from my talos/chronos t convert extras, the bill for the bits needed is still almost enough for another box of scourges from darksphere.

Therefore, I am going to buy 4 boxes, and make:
4 scourges with haywire blasters
4 scourges with haywire blasters made from dark lances and talos HWBs
4 scourges with heat lances
4 scourges with splinter cannons

SC are a waste on Scourges.

Either they move, which they do, and, for almost twice the price, get 1 shot extra each (4 shots), OR, they do not move (Unless they camp in a mid-field building, it's a bad idea), and double their rate of fire, with a 6" increase to their threat-range, for almost double their pts. In fact, buying 4 extra scourges is a better idea than SC.

BigHammer
29-12-2014, 02:25

Either they move, which they do, and, for almost twice the price, get 1 shot extra each (4 shots), OR, they do not move (Unless they camp in a mid-field building, it's a bad idea), and double their rate of fire, with a 6" increase to their threat-range, for almost double their pts. In fact, buying 4 extra scourges is a better idea than SC.

Agreed. That fourth unit might be better off with blasters instead, rather than splinter cannons. A couple of venoms will do that job more reliably anyway.

inq.serge
29-12-2014, 02:58
Agreed. That fourth unit might be better off with blasters instead, rather than splinter cannons. A couple of venoms will do that job more reliably anyway.

Agreed. And with 4 boxes, Althenian Armourlost'll have the models for it.

Voss
29-12-2014, 03:46
Yep. Splinter Cannons made me wince. Just taking them without special weapons at all is a better option.

Tarrell
29-12-2014, 03:53
Heat lancers, and haywire blasters are great when taking on mechanised army's (Imperial guards/Tau I'm looking at you).
Shredders and carbines are great on infantry, Nothing funnier than moving shooting and moving back into heavy cover.

Also better armour save than troops

*Edit

Though If you really want satification. Get a Razorwing and equip with disintegrator cannons. Because nothing beats mowing down a Terminator unit in 1 turn.

Althenian Armourlost
29-12-2014, 04:06
Thanks for the advice.

I shall model them with regular splinter carbines to act as a cheap unit, or a pool of ablative wounds for the other 3 units.

T10
29-12-2014, 14:30

Disagreed. The "increase in threat range" supposes that you are willing to jump forward 12" to position yourself for the 18" range carbines. While you intially threaten both east and west on turn one, in order to capitalize on it you have commited yourself to that area in turn two. With the splinter cannons you threaten both areas in both turns. Also, longer range allows you to attack from out-of-range, which does you a lot more good than any save will.

Though this is just my Armchair General opinion based on reading the codex. I too run scourges: 2 x 10, one unit with 4 Dark Lances and another unit with a Heat Lance, a Blaster and two Haywire Blasters. The reason I don't use splinter cannons is because I leave it to the rest of the army to deal with infantry. :)

-T10