PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Ogres

sturguard
29-12-2014, 02:02
Hey folks,

Does anyone have any thoughts on what might happen to Ogre Kingdoms? They are really the only army I play, however their codex is starting to get very old and they still have alot of models that need help- Yetis, Maneaters, Sabertusks all spring to mind. With the new models rolling out I could see them doing great new Yeti models.

Anyways, from what I gather about the new expansion- which I haven't played or purchased so I have extremely limited info- there seems to be nothing about ogres mentioned, nor does it seem so. Will GW go back to rotating armies after this expansion is over? Will the armies that got lots of love in this expansion "go to the back of the line" as far as getting their army books worked on?

Will the ogres just be phased out? I thought they were an army that a good deal of folks played is that not the case?

If anyone has any encouraging thoughts, I would like to hear them.

Thanks-

Greyshadow
29-12-2014, 02:38
Old, Old! Our book is not old! ;)

I don't think we have too much to worry about. Ogres are a recent army but like the Tau and Necrons have been very successful. Unlike some armies, we have what is widely regarded as excellent core models. (Ogres have a real cult following too so even in the very unlikely event that GW decides to diminish them there is a strong community over at the Stronghold website who would provide unofficial support).

Ogres are also a very original army - an army of Monstrous Infantry. They are relatively easy to paint as they are so big, especially in the traditional grey skinned scheme. A rough paint job also kinds of suites them as they are dirty and uncouth race. They are an ideal project for beginners.

Ogres also lend themselves as allies as they are a mercenary race - this will likely make them an ideal army in 9th where armies composed of multiple races is rumoured to be the norm.

I am not worried in the slightest but thinking about the level of support your new army might get is certainly a fair thing to be thinking about.

P.S. Ogres get there own page explaining what is happening to them in End Times: Nagash, like all current armies. They haven't been left out.

sturguard
29-12-2014, 03:39
Greyshadow,
Would you mind passing along the info on what becomes of the ogres in End of Times?
Thanks-

Stegadeth
29-12-2014, 03:56
I think they are still a popular army among those who are looking for low model-count forces alone. That's to say nothing of those who genuinely love the army for the lore and fluff as well as just massing a bunch of fat, slovenly models on the table across from some neatly ordered and well dressed and groomed Empire geeks. No offense to Empire geeks! ;)

Tarrell
29-12-2014, 04:05
With all those mountains erupting, I think much of the orgre race will be whittled down through in house fighting and lava

Collector
29-12-2014, 04:21
Nope they moved out to rule the world. Some went here others there and greaseus is marching towards The south lands... so guess he be picking his teeth with giant bones soon enough about time someone found a use for giant nagash.

Jind_Singh
29-12-2014, 05:36
Basically they get 2 pages of story in Nagash.

The Mountains of Mourn are grumbling! Tribes of Ogres are leaving the range and heading north to join the Chaos Warbands OR striking it out on their own to look for loot & food!

Greasus is mighty vexed when he hears about this and proceeds to bash heads together to keep the remains of the tribes together.

Meanwhile the Firebellys are shocked when ALL the volcanoes go for it and explode with eruptions - forcing Greasus to lead all the remaining Ogres out of the Mountains in the biggest migration ever - even bigger than the 1st one from their ancestral lands!

So not sure where the tribe is heading - but it's not gonna bode well for any settlement they happen to come across in the meantime!

tezdal
31-12-2014, 19:18
2011 is old? Tell it to the Brets

sturguard
31-12-2014, 19:28
The Brets are an extreme. I fully agree the Brets need some attention, but my point was, many of the army books have been updated in some way (Even if it is just model splash) or there is conversation about the model line being updated. There has been no conversation and no models since the release and very little speculation that ogres will get anything in this expansion- which again strikes me as odd, unless they are considering getting rid of the ogre kingdoms or simply merging them into another book to make them mercenaries much like their origins.

Smithpod68
31-12-2014, 19:37
Ogres are my second army and they are fine. As far as Maneater models a lot can be done with bits from the basic ogres and the pistol hands from the Mournfang kit and some stuff from the Irongut and Ironblaster kits. The only true Maneater figure I bought was the pirate one.

kylek2235
31-12-2014, 21:01
Since your question appears to be about the future of the Ogres so:

The Ogres have been driven from their homelands and its unlikely they'll suddenly return. End Times Nagash also goes out of its way to say that the Ogres are no longer functioning as "kingdoms." In the Mercenary spirit of the army, it's likely we'll be merged in with a couple of other armies as they settle in among the other races of the Old World, unless GW goes back to them being entirely DoW again. Honestly, it depends heavily on what 9th ed looks like. Will they be a separate army next edition? Not likely.

sturguard
31-12-2014, 22:25
Thanks Kyle. So I guess I have to hope this whole expansion is just that and is completely irrelevant to the grand designs of 9th edition.

N00B
31-12-2014, 23:21
I will probably generate some ire here but I hope Ogres fold as a faction - not because they are not worthy of attention but because they are deeply awesome and I would like to be able to take some as mercenaries in my armies.

sturguard
01-01-2015, 00:50
Noob, you can do that currently without having to have the army fold. Evidently I am in the minority but I just like having an army of ogres. I don't want O&G and Ogres, or Chaos and Ogres, or two armies that can merge together. I just want a singular army, I have had enough of the allies, data slates, formations etc in 40k, which isnt my cup of tea either. I have 2 armies, they don't ally, just straight codex entries. I get what GW is doing, and I am certainly okay with people I play bringing buffet of units together to form an army, but I just hope GW continues to offer homogenous style armies as well.

Jind_Singh
01-01-2015, 06:47
After axing Chaos Dwarfs and Dogs of War I doubt they will scrap another army.

And to top that Ogres are a popular army with a lot of money invested into them with last release

Ogres are here for a looooong time - have no fear

Greyshadow
01-01-2015, 08:54
Noob, you can do that currently without having to have the army fold. Evidently I am in the minority but I just like having an army of ogres. I don't want O&G and Ogres, or Chaos and Ogres, or two armies that can merge together. I just want a singular army, I have had enough of the allies, data slates, formations etc in 40k, which isnt my cup of tea either. I have 2 armies, they don't ally, just straight codex entries. I get what GW is doing, and I am certainly okay with people I play bringing buffet of units together to form an army, but I just hope GW continues to offer homogenous style armies as well.

I am the same. I am hopeful that it will still be possible to field an all ogre force throughout 9th. Guess we won't know until it happens. Honestly though, if you want to start an ogre army then go for it. If we wanted to wait until we were sure of the future of an army nobody would ever start one. The ogre community is strong, people will keep playing them.

Scammel
01-01-2015, 10:09
A complete, standalone faction with a large range of (apparently) quite successful plastic kits not getting any new models in TET like most other factions?

All aboard the squat train! :shifty:

innerwolf
01-01-2015, 10:24
A complete, standalone faction with a large range of (apparently) quite successful plastic kits not getting any new models in TET like most other factions?

All aboard the squat train! :shifty:

That it's not a portent of doom for the army's existence doesn't mean it's a pleasant prospect (for none of the neglected armies in ET). GW chose this release model for the End Times campaign and it's a legit decision, but it's also likely to alienate a large portion of WHF players.

Some paragraphs in one of the books and access to a lore many people doesn't give a damn about seems like getting very little from an earth-shaking campaign.

So for me, this kind of unrest in the player base is justified.

Scammel
01-01-2015, 13:59
I bet the Dwarf and Greenskin players are shaking in their boots. All this nonsense about armies going the way of the dodo because they aren't getting constantly showered with releases like a beached whale needs water is so tedious.

sturguard
01-01-2015, 18:59
Scammel,
That's not good analogy- the dwarf and greenskin races were part of the foundation of warhammer. The ogres started as mercenary units and there is no saying GW might decide there are better off going back to that status (I am hoping not). I guess my worry is this, EoT has been all about large scale models- actually some really good stuff, ogres haven't had a model release in years and this would be a great excuse to say make some fantastic Yhetti's or Maneaters if you are looking to continue the line. Dwarves have had their updates recently and I believe O&G came after ogres as well. Anyhow, hopefully I am just worried about nothing. I like my ogre army, I still havent finished painting them as I am a slow painter, and I would hate to have them invalidated before I finish.

And we could do without the snide remarks. I wanted some informed opinions about the ogres as I don't consider myself as informed as most in the Warhammer world. I have no desire to get this expansion and haven't been keeping up on things. I am not shouting the sky is falling or the ogres will be removed from warhammer altogether, but I am a bit worried that they may be folded into another army.

Does anyone know how ogres fare as far as profitability? Do we have any numbers on what fantasy armies are the biggest sellers?

Scammel
01-01-2015, 19:39
there is no saying GW might decide there are better off going back to that status

More to the point, there's zero evidence to suggest that they will.

I guess my worry is this, EoT has been all about large scale models- actually some really good stuff, ogres haven't had a model release in years and this would be a great excuse to say make some fantastic Yhetti's or Maneaters if you are looking to continue the line.

All armies bar Daemons wait years for new releases, and most of the games armies haven't had new model releases as part of TET.

Dwarves have had their updates recently and I believe O&G came after ogres as well.

O&G were about a year or more before Ogres.

I am a bit worried that they may be folded into another army.

I think you've just lost perspective. Ogres are being treated no worse than the vast majority of factions in both systems. Get worried after 10 years.

Does anyone know how ogres fare as far as profitability? Do we have any numbers on what fantasy armies are the biggest sellers?

We know that the biggest sellers for the past year were Glottkin, Nagash, Dwarfs and Wood Elves - unsurprisingly.

sturguard
01-01-2015, 20:07
I think you've just lost perspective. Ogres are being treated no worse than the vast majority of factions in both systems. Get worried after 10 years.

My thoughts are GW has lost perspective if they are making their customers wait 10 years for an update, but of course that is a whole other conversation.

If what you say is true, I'm tickled, although I have to admit, I have been hoping for some new Yhetti models for awhile- not because their rules are good but only because I think GW could make some pretty sweet models if they wanted to. Now that we have Logan (Santa) on his sled, we definitely need some Yhetti's, otherwise who is going to make the presents.

SkawtheFalconer
03-01-2015, 12:19
Do you not think Yhetti's are kind of pointless? There are units in the Ogres book that do everything they do, but better. The rules they got felt like they were only in the book to keep people with existing models happy.

As for the ET, the Ogres have migrated, meaning they're going to turn up somewhere... I'm sure they'll have a role to play before the final reckoning.

Warpsoul
03-01-2015, 12:35
Hopefully Greasus bites it. Easily the lamest character in all of Warhammer.

I'd like to see Ogres become a new DOW-like army, whereby any army can recruit any Ogre unit now that the have scattered about the world. A couple of Ironblasters on my Empire army would be deadly.

NemoSD
04-01-2015, 19:10
Hopefully Greasus bites it. Easily the lamest character in all of Warhammer.

I'd like to see Ogres become a new DOW-like army, whereby any army can recruit any Ogre unit now that the have scattered about the world. A couple of Ironblasters on my Empire army would be deadly.

This is exactly why I hope that doesn't happen. For my elves, and any army that has Monsterous Critters they might want to use, that spells the doom for any hope of running them ever again. But more importantly, it brings back a degree of min-maxing that will make the 11 cannon empire list even stupider. All you would see are Ironblasters and Steam Tanks.

Svullom
05-01-2015, 10:09
Unbound for Fantasy? I would probably stop playing altogether unless my gaming group decides to continue playing 8th.

SanDiegoSurrealist
06-01-2015, 21:53
Since your question appears to be about the future of the Ogres so:

The Ogres have been driven from their homelands and its unlikely they'll suddenly return. End Times Nagash also goes out of its way to say that the Ogres are no longer functioning as "kingdoms." In the Mercenary spirit of the army, it's likely we'll be merged in with a couple of other armies as they settle in among the other races of the Old World, unless GW goes back to them being entirely DoW again. Honestly, it depends heavily on what 9th ed looks like. Will they be a separate army next edition? Not likely.

I have been saying since the End Times began that OK was going to get back to their roots as "Mercenaries for Hire", it is my prediction that in the coming 9th edition OK will continue to be an army that can be run as a stand alone army, but I also predict that anyone will be able to "hire" units of Ogres to bolster their line.
Of course I may be 100% off on this and have nothing to back it up but the 2 pages of the Nagash book.