PDA

View Full Version : Chapters loaning each other resources; does this happen?

Harwammer
29-12-2014, 06:23
Do chapters ever loan each other marines and/or equipment?

In a big warzone, would it be crazy for the Ultramarines to have a flying transport with a little vinyl sticker on the back saying "Working in partnership with the Blood Angels" like I sometimes see in real life when city councils outsource their work to contractors? Is this essentially what campaign badges are?

Rolsheen
29-12-2014, 07:32
The only time a marine or equipment is loaned out is when their working with the Deathwatch, campaign badges are exactly that badges to show that a chapter, imperial guard regiment, imperial navy detactment or titan legion took part in a famous or significant campaign

Nazguire
29-12-2014, 08:28
They do loan out Marines to other Chapters to spread training techniques.

The Hawk Lords 'loan' their Thunderhawk pilots to other Ultramarine-successor Chapters to improve the skills of other pilots, for example.

AndrewGPaul
29-12-2014, 10:09
I would assume that Chapters do materially assist other Chapters on occasion. I would, however, assume that they do so by supplying the crews as well as the vehicles.

While on campaign, the campaign badge is an ID symbol like the D-Day stripes on allied aeroplanes over Normandy to avoid friendly fire incidents. After the campaign, they may be retained as honour marks or as part of an individual's heraldry.

Lord Damocles
29-12-2014, 12:02
Once upon a time in, I think Space Hulk, background, the Blood Angels were using borrowed Ultramarine Terminator armour.

Telion gets sent on secondment to other Chapters to teach Scouts how to scout (Codex: Space Marines (5th ed.), pg.88).

Red Fury (*shudder*) ended with the Blood Angels' sucessors agreeing to give their parent Chapter a portion of their neophytes.

Leftenant Gashrog
29-12-2014, 17:40
IIRC the Predator Index Astartes article (or the poster it came with) featured a sponsonless Predator in Black Templars livery with Black Templar techmarine manning the sponson, with the accompanying text stating it was on loan from the White Scars (hence the lack of sponsons).

AndrewGPaul
29-12-2014, 20:17
Once upon a time in, I think Space Hulk, background, the Blood Angels were using borrowed Ultramarine Terminator armour.

A piece of flavour text in WD 112; one Marine has a suit "borrowed" from the Ultramarines, and kept in blue. Every time it was repainted red, so the current occupant has a superstition about reprinting it.

This is, by the way, the source of the "angering the machine spirit" meme, but here the tech priests think he's being silly.

Nazguire
29-12-2014, 23:08

Telion gets sent on secondment to other Chapters to teach Scouts how to scout (Codex: Space Marines (5th ed.), pg.88).

Red Fury (*shudder*) ended with the Blood Angels' sucessors agreeing to give their parent Chapter a portion of their neophytes.

As terrible as the novel is, it's not an unreasonable possibility that particularly close Chapters would send each other Neophytes if one was in desperate need of recruits. If the Genesis Chapter, for example, was on the verge of extinction, I can easily imagine the Ultramarines bundling up a bunch of neophytes and shipping them off to Newfounding.

Grubnar
29-12-2014, 23:16
I am not sure if they "loan" much of their stuff, or often.

But there have been several instances where one chapter has gifted armour or weapons to another chapter. For example, after Hive Fleet Behemoth annihilated the entire first company of the Ultramarines, many chapters donated suits of Terminator armour to help them re-form the company.

Tuborg
30-12-2014, 02:59
If the Inquisition asks, and you like your home planet, Chapters share

MajorWesJanson
30-12-2014, 03:12

If the Inquisitor is well connected and powerful, maybe. And if the chapter is not one of the first founding legions.

OuroborosTriumphant
30-12-2014, 07:31

Actually, that seems like a fantastic way to put the Asartes backs up and make them stubbornly assert all of their long held rights to independent operation. It would be an unbelievably flagrant overstep of the bounds of Inquisitorial responsibility to begin shuttling equipment between Astartes Chapters.

The Inquisition has massive, almost unlimited authority, but it also has a clear mission statement about what that authority is for (to hunt the heretic, the xenos and the daemon). If an Inquisitor threatened Exterminatus in order to let his mates loot other Chapter's armouries, that would be blatant corruption and is the kind of thing that very short-lived Inquisitors try to do.

Arijharn
30-12-2014, 07:39
I wish I could like Ouroboros' comment. I do remember that the Blood Angels were smashed enough in one of their latest books that they needed to be supplemented by neophytes from the other successor's to not become extinct pretty much. Gabriel Seth was being a bit of a hard ass about it, but eventually came around after the stuff hit the fan etc.

I'd also have to say though that unless there's some sort of sentimental value to a Terminator Armour set (like more than usual, an example would be say the Cuirass of Sacrifice) I can't see why such sets wouldn't be loaned between successors or other chapters that have strong relationships. The Blood Angels may not share with the Dark Angels mainly because they may not know each other very well, but might share with their successor chapters or others if they stand in good standing with each other. You might share a DVD with a mate because you fully trust them, you may not share that DVD with another mate despite him being your mate because you just know he'll share it with someone else who might share it with someone else and sooner rather than later you'll never see your DVD again.

Much has been made of the antagonism between the Inquisition and the Space Wolves, but many chapters actually don't like the Inquisition flouting their authority. Yet, just as many appear to be tied to the hip to the Inquisition, so that sort of muddy's the waters a bit.

ryng_sting
30-12-2014, 12:46
Don't remember anything about the Ultra's borrowing terminator suits from other chapters. What I do recall is them repairing almost all their suits after the Battle of Macragge; and currently having 87 of them (excluding those for Captains and officers).

Tuborg
30-12-2014, 13:28
and currently having 87 of them (excluding those for Captains and officers).

74 and 87 including Libbys, chaplains and apothercaries.

Sir_Turalyon
31-12-2014, 10:58
Codex Astartes as an organisation standard is all about chapters being independent but able to effortlessly combine their resources. Especially in crusade armies where contingents from different chapters are merged into single fighting force. If the chapters in question were so cordial about each other, with long tradtion of cooperation or one hero-worshipping another, it would probably be done with lots of prayer, exchange of parchment celebrating the historical loan of sacred wargear, vows and whatnot.

Also, in their original background the Grey Knights borrowed (or requisitioned?) Terminator suits form multiple chapters, to equip whole GK chapter in TDA for assault on renegade world. I think target was homeworld of renegade chapter, can't remember that. The original paint job was kept, to make it look like simultaneous assault by 10+ chapters and demoralise defenders.

Menthak
04-01-2015, 13:11
Codex Astartes as an organisation standard is all about chapters being independent but able to effortlessly combine their resources. Especially in crusade armies where contingents from different chapters are merged into single fighting force. If the chapters in question were so cordial about each other, with long tradtion of cooperation or one hero-worshipping another, it would probably be done with lots of prayer, exchange of parchment celebrating the historical loan of sacred wargear, vows and whatnot.

Also, in their original background the Grey Knights borrowed (or requisitioned?) Terminator suits form multiple chapters, to equip whole GK chapter in TDA for assault on renegade world. I think target was homeworld of renegade chapter, can't remember that. The original paint job was kept, to make it look like simultaneous assault by 10+ chapters and demoralise defenders.

As I recall (and I may be wrong) it was actually tie that stopped them repainting the suits and the moral effect was coincidental. Though it's an interesting ploy to use, if you think that 10+ chapter's first company is deepstriking you're not going to be in the best of moods.