PDA

View Full Version : Dan's Weekly Poll #18: Which Verminlord are you?

Lord Dan
31-12-2014, 19:08
Courtesy of the good brother:

Warpseer:

Warbringer:

Corruptor:

Deceiver:

Lord Skreech Verminking

Please take a moment to respond to the poll, above.

MasterSplinter
31-12-2014, 19:27
At the moment i can´t decide between the warpseer and the deceiver. The mask and horns of the deceiver build are so cool, although the warpseer seems more generic and i plan to buy only one which i then could use with different rulesets. Depending on the flexibility of the kit i think of combining the parts to build my own one. Maybe the head and horns of the deceiver but with doomglaive and the orb of the warpseer.

Ramius4
31-12-2014, 21:23
The Deciever. He's a solid model. Being able to use Skitterleap on him is right up my alley. And the throwing weapon is just so tasty against any kind of horde.

Stegadeth
31-12-2014, 22:45
I love the Warpseer model. I have no ideas about the rules, but hey, this is about which one we think looks best anyway.

Ramius4
31-12-2014, 23:00
I love the Warpseer model. I have no ideas about the rules, but hey, this is about which one we think looks best anyway.

He's my second favorite, although all of them that are standing on the Doomglaive are about 20% less cool to me. It's an awkward and contrived pose.

I wonder how easy it is to twist his hand holding the Doomglaive to another position and just have his foot propped up on the stone?

N00B
31-12-2014, 23:30
So I hadn't seen the model before (not playing Skaven)... So where can I get one? I have been looking for a new model for a Demon prince for my Beasts of Chaos army and one of these would be perfect.

Ramius4
31-12-2014, 23:37
So I hadn't seen the model before (not playing Skaven)... So where can I get one? I have been looking for a new model for a Demon prince for my Beasts of Chaos army and one of these would be perfect.

They are available for preorder this Friday.

SuperHappyTime
01-01-2015, 00:49
I know it isn't probably the case, but does anyone else get that inkling feeling this is a Skaven parody of Chaos' Greater Daemons?

Lord Dan
01-01-2015, 00:54
I know it isn't probably the case, but does anyone else get that inkling feeling this is a Skaven parody of Chaos' Greater Daemons?

No, I think it's just the result of there only being so many archtypes for a fantasy setting to utilize.

Voss
01-01-2015, 01:07

Nope. Partly just wizard guy and warrior guy or so basic as to be nigh mandatory. Sneaky doesn't have a chaos parallel, and in fact clan pestilens preceded nurgle, probably because rats-as-plaguebringers was too intrinsically ratty to pass up.

GrandmasterWang
01-01-2015, 01:21
One of the ninja ones... just too huge! !

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Evil Hypnotist
01-01-2015, 01:51
Warbringer - I'm all about the fistpump!

Brother Haephestus
01-01-2015, 02:15
This is a crappy poll! There's no "all of them!!" option. However, I do have to admit to a certain amount of "Hulk SMASH!" in my playstyle, so the Warbringer is my choice!! Makes my eyes go all @_@.

(I might steel Screech's horns though o.O ).

Skywave
01-01-2015, 02:39
I vote for the classic, now OOP model :(

Ramius4
01-01-2015, 03:45

You can still buy it on the GW U.S. website for the time being. And Canada's too (I just checked)

Besides, if you wait a week I bet ebay will be flooded with the old model

Lord Dan
01-01-2015, 04:07

Try again.

N00B
01-01-2015, 13:09
They are available for preorder this Friday.

And there is my first purchase of the new year!

Marshal_Loss
01-01-2015, 13:23
Voted Warpseer, which is the one I intend to build, albeit with the skull head

underscore
01-01-2015, 13:52
Lord Skreech Verminking is probably my favourite combination of parts - though I expect I'm going to just do whatever combination I feel like and just pretend it's whichever one I feel like on the table.

darren2961
01-01-2015, 15:34
voted for warbringer from the choices listed but for me would have voted for the forgeworld one if listed has that is the benchmark by which the new verminlords will be judged and while they are nice just fall short of the mark

Lord Dan
01-01-2015, 15:53
the forgeworld one if listed has that is the benchmark by which the new verminlords will be judged and while they are nice just fall short of the mark

I don't like the Forgeworld one. It's basically a big, overweight rat, which doesn't fit the artwork or description of a Verminlord at all.

EDIT: You know what, I went back to look at the model after making this remark. I think I was confusing the FW Verminlord with the Brood Horror (or combining the two), because it's actually a fantastic model:

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer/Skaven/SKAVEN-EXALTED-VERMIN-LORD.html

And it's almost $20 cheaper than the GW one... :wtf:

Brother Haephestus
01-01-2015, 18:12
I've always thought the Forgeworld figure was a gorgeous piece.

Why I will gladly pay an extra $15 for the GW one?

1) Plastic
2) Comes with options
3) Will end up being readily available instead of a three month shipping wait time. (there's nothing inherently wrong with this - smart army commanders will have a plan on the direction they wish to go, but there are also times when you have that "I need it NAO" moment, so having them on shelf or within 2 days is, in my opinion, infinitely preferable. That doesn't mean I didn't order a FW one too, however ...)

The bearded one
01-01-2015, 18:15
The forgeworld one looks a bit too chubby for my liking.

Plus, I like plastic.

Ograr
01-01-2015, 20:02
Subtlety?
Nahh, that's for cowardly sneak-things. Give me the Warbringer!

underscore
01-01-2015, 20:52
I still prefer the GW one, I think. It keeps the same level of detail as the rest of the range whereas the FW one is a little.. smooth and neat.

Really though they're both great models. I even quite like the old metal one... really this guy has had some of the best luck of all the Workshop guys!

The bearded one
01-01-2015, 21:41
I still prefer the GW one, I think. It keeps the same level of detail as the rest of the range whereas the FW one is a little.. smooth and neat.

Really though they're both great models. I even quite like the old metal one... really this guy has had some of the best luck of all the Workshop guys!

Aye, definitely. The previous one was pretty ace. 'Eavy metal's good paintjob made that one stand out quite well. I often thought of getting him, but I haven't really had the time to do skaven much.

Urgat
01-01-2015, 21:48
I vote for the metal one too :p

innerwolf
01-01-2015, 22:12
I don't like the Forgeworld one. It's basically a big, overweight rat, which doesn't fit the artwork or description of a Verminlord at all.

EDIT: You know what, I went back to look at the model after making this remark. I think I was confusing the FW Verminlord with the Brood Horror (or combining the two), because it's actually a fantastic model:

And it's almost $20 cheaper than the GW one... :wtf:

It still looks like a big, overweight rat to me :p The proportions are all wrong to me, a pair of oversized bodybuilder arms attached to a huge, non-anthropomorphic rat. The horns are too simple and boring, and it's face lacks any daemonic intelligence. It's just a rat face. Plus the Doomglaive looks crude and made by Beastmen, when it's a powerful magic weapon manifested from the warp and gifted by the Horned Rat.

That's all subjective, of course. But I would gladly pay these 20$ to get the upgrade.

Spiney Norman
01-01-2015, 23:40
None of the above, if I was a vermin Lord, it would be this one

If I wanted my vermin Lord to look like a big Minotaur, I would play beastmen, not Skaven.

Skywave
02-01-2015, 00:47
I vote for the metal one too :p

Dans mes bras :D

Col. Tartleton
02-01-2015, 03:48

I think they draw from the same notions but to different conclusions.

Nurgle's aspect is sort of a perversion of life magic so his Great Unclean Ones are corpulent cheerful abominations. I see the Horned Rat's Corrupter aspect as a perversion of death. His followers are emaciated frothing beserkers, barely alive preserved by their force of will to take the enemy with them.

Likewise Khornates possess more brave martial airs seeking combat with enemy champions where the Horned Rat's Warbringer aspect is opportunistic, fearful, and preys on the weak.

etc.

Ramius4
02-01-2015, 05:13
voted for warbringer from the choices listed but for me would have voted for the forgeworld one if listed has that is the benchmark by which the new verminlords will be judged and while they are nice just fall short of the mark

I find the FW one to look somewhat fat and dumpy. His face looks neat with the warpstone, but the rest? Meh.

Urgat
02-01-2015, 06:49
Dans mes bras :D
Allons, pas de quoi en faire un fromage (ohohoh, fromage, skavens, humour ! Hem, désolé).

You know, the old verminlord has quite a big head, I wonder how well it'd go on the new plastic kit. A bigger head might tone down the bodybuilder vibe of that new version.

shelfunit.
03-01-2015, 18:00
Of those, Warpseer. None of them look particularly "ratty" though.

Alltaken
03-01-2015, 19:13
Deciever and second corruptor, the horns are the ones that make it for me

theunwantedbeing
03-01-2015, 19:24
I wonder how easy it is to twist his hand holding the Doomglaive to another position and just have his foot propped up on the stone?

You can change it by effectively doing a hand swap.
Cut the Glaive out of the hand holding it, put it into one of the others in the kit.
Then use the rock to stand on (or just change the position of the leg so he's standing on the ground normally).

Nope.
I'll give an example of why they're nothing like the chaos gods.
Warpseer. Nothing like Khorne at all, he doesn't even use magic.
Warbringer. Nothing like Nurgle, he's red which is completely the wrong colour to start with.
Corrupter. Nothing like Tzeentch, where's his big magic staff? Where are the feathers?
Deceiver. Nothing like Slaanesh, maybe if he was pink....but he isn't, also no visible boobs.

See, nothing at all like the Chaos gods. :angel:

Mr Scratch & Sniff
04-01-2015, 16:41
Sorry but I'm a little underwhelmed by the new fig. I think the pose is a little strange and if I was to get one, I would need to do some sort of conversion like twisting the weapon arm around and mount his foot on a stone or spare screeming bell or something.

If I was going to get a vermin lord I think I would get the FW one as it looks pretty cool, although he does seem a little overweight.

But as for the new kit I think the eshin/ninja one looks quite good.

bigbiggles
05-01-2015, 07:32
This is the first I have heard about the different aspects. Are there rules somewhere?

Looks like i will have to learn to magnitize or something

dalezzz
05-01-2015, 09:46
This is the first I have heard about the different aspects. Are there rules somewhere?

Looks like i will have to learn to magnitize or something

WD has them , also next end times book will have them

i think the giant rumour thread might have them too..... but it's kinda massive :)

HereComesTomorrow
05-01-2015, 09:54
None of the above, if I was a vermin Lord, it would be this one

If I wanted my vermin Lord to look like a big Minotaur, I would play beastmen, not Skaven.

THANK YOU
Honestly, people praise the new Verminlord so much I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. It looks completly silly to me and I dislike all the varients.

Mr Scratch & Sniff
05-01-2015, 17:14
I have just read the rules for the new VL's and although they are not game breaking, they make for a more interesting figure than the one in the armies book.

They can all reroll a failed magic cast of a particular spell, linked to their character.
And get a 1+ boost to W&T over the standard VL.

The ninja one is looking quite fun to play with skitterleap and can do lots of shooting damage to hordes.

But the one with the orb has a 1+ to its ward save, until it throws the orb with effects the same as a brass orb.

So I think I'm starting to become tempted, with a little conversion work, to buy one.
Like I said the rules aren't that impressive, but makes them better than a 'standard' VL.

Still got some ways to beat the FW one IMO though.

Theocracity
05-01-2015, 17:25
I think I like the Warpseer the best - though I'm unlikely to use any of them just as a personal theme preference. I was always more of a Skyrie / Moulder type - less on the divine magic, more on the science magic ;).

theunwantedbeing
05-01-2015, 17:33
I have just read the rules for the new VL's and although they are not game breaking.....the one with the orb has a 1+ to its ward save, until it throws the orb with effects the same as a brass orb.

Oh yeah, 1+ ward saves are totally not broken.
Makes you wonder why you'de ever throw the thing and lose your uber ward save.

:p

Mr Scratch & Sniff
05-01-2015, 18:06
Yep!

Still, for 500+ points it better have a good ward save or why take one. It doesn't have any other armour.

They also mention a new rune on the things orb, sounds like a strong hint to me that we're going to get a new clan. Wonder what skills that would bring if its true, flying units?

Theocracity
05-01-2015, 18:23
Oh yeah, 1+ ward saves are totally not broken.
Makes you wonder why you'de ever throw the thing and lose your uber ward save.

:p

I think that's a misunderstanding. As I heard it it's +1 to ward saves, not a 1+ ward save.

Mr Scratch & Sniff
05-01-2015, 19:19
That's correct, sorry my fault. He would have a 4+ rather than a 5+.

GrandmasterWang
07-01-2015, 03:07
New model is amazing but im not so keen on the raised leg... especially when its just on a rock and not the doom glaive.

Im going to have to get the kit and am seriously tempted to make the Eshin one and have its foot resting on a whole pile of dead dwarfs instead of on the rock.

Fluff wise..... Whats with Verminking being created when Nagash was felled???? From the horned rats servants? It kind of reads like he was made from the surviving members of the council of 13??? If so I don't like it.. am I reading this wrong??

On the Vermin King.. not seeing why he is 150 points more for same stats? Besides weapon switch option it seems his only option is to reroll 13th spell? Is that really worth 150 points given the other lords also get a spell reroll? I thought maybe the WD missed something? I mean he still has the 5+ ward save, not a 4+

Also, the White Dwarf mentions their triangular armor yet they have no armor save?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk