PDA

View Full Version : Blood Angles - (Not Flesh Tearers) Defenders of the Cathedrum

Gazak Blacktoof
01-01-2015, 12:56
I've got a bit of a Blood Angles collection that started with the Space hulk and Deathstorm Boxes. I've added a couple of tactical squads, a couple of pods and I'm converting some units from the Dark Vengeance set.

I've been having a look through the plethora of formations available to the Blood Angels faction and the one that best fits my collection is the Defenders of the Cathedrum. This appears as a Flesh Tearers formation in the Exterminatus rules supplement. Units for the formation must be chosen from the Blood Angles faction, however the background in the supplement and pictures depict this as a Flesh Tearer formation. Would it be a horrendous crime against gaming to use Blood Angles models so that I can gain counter-attack and stubborn for a few units? :shifty:

Thanks

Lord Damocles
01-01-2015, 13:29
I doubt that defending places (even specifically cathedrals) is unique to the Flesh Tearers.

The differences in rules between Blood Angels and Flesh Tearers are so minimal as to be negligible.

My Necrons are going to be running as Mephrit dynasty despite being a slightly different colour (although since GW recoloured the illustration which I'd based by colour scheme on to be Mephrit, not that different...) because they pretty much get flat better for no cost.

Gazak Blacktoof
02-01-2015, 07:21
That was my thoughts as well. I know that people can get a bit more fussy when it comes to marines though. I might be using the Mephrit rules with my necrons as well. Unfortunately you lose the warlord trait re-roll for any table other than the Mephrit traits.

Patriarch
02-01-2015, 08:25
The "Blood Angels Faction" is supposed to represent any and all the successor chapters equally. You are quite within your rights to have a Fleshtearers Mephiston fighting alongside a Flestearers Corbulo or even a Fleshtearers Dante - you might want to give them new names to represent different characters, but they work in the same way as their BA counterparts. And any formations named for one particular chapter in the faction are equally as valid for the others, they are organised in roughly similar ways so over thousands of years will probably have fought in similar ways to each other.

In battle forged armies you can have marines sort-of teaming up with Necrons, Dark Eldar or Tyranids, so calling your blood-drop marines something different isn't even a misdemeanor.

Gazak Blacktoof
02-01-2015, 22:22
I don't think my regular opponent will have an issue with it. Hopefully he will also be of the opinion that the rules of the models shouldn't be determined by the paint job alone. I'll have a chat with him tomorrow.

It's good to know that I might get a warm reception in a club or store too.

Charistoph
03-01-2015, 02:41
Well it is a good indication of what type of game you're going to get with their reaction. If someone dissed my brown-painted Black Templar Tactics Marines for being brown and not black, I would pack back up and wish him a good day.

More seriously, most people would just be so happy they aren't sprue grey or primer black that they really wouldn't care.

Legiocustodes
04-01-2015, 00:30
If you play any opponent that would have a problem with this then you do indeed have an issue....but it's not with the miniatures!!!