PDA

View Full Version : Which Unit compositions and tactics suits Alpha Legion?

Zmyeevich
01-01-2015, 21:51
For a while I have thought about remaking my chaos renegade warband into a 1st founding legion. The CSM book is a mess, trying to represent too many different factions with the same units with no clear structure for any one of those factions.
I decided to go with the Alpha Legion for a variety of reasons, and from what I have read, they use stealth tactics, cultists and are all proficient in any role (assault, heavy weapons, terminator armour use etc), but I am not at all an expert on them and I have no clear idea on what their actual unit focus would be.

Which units would they use and how would a fluffy army be organised? And which units would be a no-go for them?
I dont have any problems with the army not being super competetive, I would much rather have a fluffy list and then trying to win with that, than just using "good units" to win.

Navar
01-01-2015, 21:58
Check out the forge world Horus Heresy books for LOTS of great stuff about the alpha legion.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Spiney Norman
01-01-2015, 23:21
Check out the forge world Horus Heresy books for LOTS of great stuff about the alpha legion.

Not to mention a very sexy Contemptor dreadnought.

Zmyeevich
02-01-2015, 17:12
I know they feature in the book 3: Extermination book, but I havent got that book yet. Are they in any of the others?

Navar
02-01-2015, 17:32
I know they feature in the book 3: Extermination book, but I havent got that book yet. Are they in any of the others?

Who knows? I think it is best to assume yes.

Navar
02-01-2015, 17:53

Who knows? I think it is best to assume yes.

Navar
02-01-2015, 18:07
Seriously though fluff is only in the third book, but they can take units from every legion. So the campaign book might be a better buy.

Baaltor
02-01-2015, 21:25
For a while I have thought about remaking my chaos renegade warband into a 1st founding legion. The CSM book is a mess, trying to represent too many different factions with the same units with no clear structure for any one of those factions.
I decided to go with the Alpha Legion for a variety of reasons, and from what I have read, they use stealth tactics, cultists and are all proficient in any role (assault, heavy weapons, terminator armour use etc), but I am not at all an expert on them and I have no clear idea on what their actual unit focus would be.

Which units would they use and how would a fluffy army be organised? And which units would be a no-go for them?
I dont have any problems with the army not being super competetive, I would much rather have a fluffy list and then trying to win with that, than just using "good units" to win.

Well, I think the best place to start is to pick a direction to go with. The fluff for many factions has been retconned, something every edition, and the reason for that is to give you a lot of directions to choose from in your army. For example, in the Alpha Legion there are the following themes:

Strategy:
>Cultist hordes
>Many angled attack; movement based warfare (The dragon has three heads)
>Infiltration; deployment based warfare (different than outflanking like above)

Tactics:
>Cellular organisation; can't be killed (The dragon has three heads)
>Inflicting confusion; Fear, pinning, controlling reserves

Units
>Cultists
>Not so daemonic
>Loyalist tendencies
>Secrecy
>infiltrating CSM: I know this can't be controlled in the CSM, book, but still.

So basically, I think you should pick a few of the elements you have to choose from, and work around them. Overwhelming your enemy with cultists is totally Koscher, as is all infiltration: all the time, but the point of both of those is to control your enemies ability to choose their battles. One does it by making the enemy have to anticipate your tricks, and the other does it by making sure your valuable units don't ever get bogged down. But to a degree these are redundant, so including both as a key feature of your force may not be wise. Paying points for infiltrating elites, and for blobs to... 'blob' your enemy means you'll be fighting a battle without support; and in the thematic angle you're going to get a less pleasing army to look at/read about.

Nazguire
03-01-2015, 03:28
You don't need to do anything.

Allow the opponent to completely set up their army. Don't deploy anything.

Then explain that the Alpha Legion infiltrated their army prior to the battle, and as a result his army is actually the Alpha Legion.

You've now won.

Still Standing
03-01-2015, 10:20
Nobody wanting a Legion (other than Black Legion) should be bothering with 40k. Run the 30k list, even if you use 40k models.

Lord Damocles
03-01-2015, 14:06
What if somebody wants actual chaosy stuff in their chaos army?

Zmyeevich
03-01-2015, 14:30
Strategy:
>Cultist hordes
>Many angled attack; movement based warfare (The dragon has three heads)
>Infiltration; deployment based warfare (different than outflanking like above)

Tactics:
>Cellular organisation; can't be killed (The dragon has three heads)
>Inflicting confusion; Fear, pinning, controlling reserves

Units
>Cultists
>Not so daemonic
>Loyalist tendencies
>Secrecy
>infiltrating CSM: I know this can't be controlled in the CSM, book, but still.

very useful info, I will think about that. I like the idea of infiltrating them and I have tons of cultists so those two seem like a good beginning.

Hmm how does loyalist tendensies come into play? And "not so demonic"? Does that mean that units like the defiler, or Oblits are unlikely to be joining their ranks? or does that simply imply that they rarely summon your friendly neighbourhood Bloodthirster?

Harwammer
03-01-2015, 14:57
Key:
-fluff quotes
-My thoughts (mixture of facetious and hopefully useful suggestions)

The Alpha Legion are renowned for their ruthless tactics and coldly efficient coordination. The Hydra symbol reflects their diversity and ultimate unity of their purpose. Their martial prowess was their hallmark and since the Heresy the legion has continued to pit its strength against loyal space marines.
So point number one is remember to play well and list tailor for fighting space marines ;)!

Small units of Alpha warriors set up hidden bases in asteroid fields, space hulks and barren systems scattered throughout the galaxy while the bulk of the legion withdrew to the Eye of Terror. Raiding parties sally out from these secret bases to catch the defenders of humanity unaware, sabotaging bases, attacking shipping, terrorising settlements and destroying small outposts with deadly efficiency
Play games with smaller point sizes, or better yet, arrange for your friends to write a kill team list and you use a full size army ;). If you want to play a game where the enemy has found and is assaulting your Alpha Legion base you want to play on a really claustrophobic board, maybe even using zone mortalis rules.

Far more insidious and dangerous are their connections with Chaos Cultists on the settled worlds of the Imperium. The legion coordinates and directs Cultists across entire sectors to instigate massive insurrections. These revolts are used as cover for Chaos Space Marine raids or a precursor to full scale invasion from the Eye of Teror.
Timeline wise a good setting for an Alpha Legion army would be just before a Black Crusade. The army could include a lot of chaffy cultists and a few well equipped veteran chaos marine squads. The cultists are used as disposables so the veteran marines can accomplish the real objectives. Don't forget to twirl your moustache each time your opponent 'outwits' one of your cultist squads'.

Then they should use the Blood Angels or Space Wolves codex (from what I've read on the internet ;)).

Snake Tortoise
03-01-2015, 17:35
A conflict avoided is a conflict won without loss

...or something to that effect.

So next time you arrange a game, simply don't turn up and win by default. Alternatively try sabotage; find a way to access your opponent's minis before the game and stamp on the majority of them, leaving a small, bewildered 400 point detachment that you can easily crush with your 1850 power list

On a tactical level, the Alpha Legion favoured freedom of manoeuvre and portability of firepower.

...the tactics of attrition... trench warfare and static defence were things shunned by the Alpha Legion unless entirely unavoidable

These are from HH Book 3.

I'd say mechanised infantry, bikes, raptors and reserve units would be ideal. Then again, I reckon anything can be justified with a bit of imagination. Maybe your static gunline army are a small part of the total force that the other elements of the army are directing the enemy towards?

MasterDecoy
05-01-2015, 03:37
Perhaps try to adopt the tau way of war, the kauyon and mont'ka

SirBlackmane
05-01-2015, 05:49
Then grab a squad of Gal Vorbak as your selection from another legion.

Baaltor
05-01-2015, 05:51
Hmm how does loyalist tendensies come into play? And "not so demonic"? Does that mean that units like the defiler, or Oblits are unlikely to be joining their ranks? or does that simply imply that they rarely summon your friendly neighbourhood Bloodthirster?

I'm glad to see you appreciate my perspective.

What I meant by 'not so daemon' is that in the fluff they're repeatedly referred to as operating outside the Eye, and having a homeworld somewhere. Because of this, and their tendency to go deep into Imperial territory, which understandably is OUTSIDE Eye, they don't have the ability in invoke the spirits of the Empyrean. This was represented in the rules in 3.5 by only cultists being able to summon daemons from icons, or something along those lines; because the presence of cultists implied that the Legion had been able to build up enough worshippers/rituals/sacrifices to bring the space they were fighting in closer to the Warp. Of course, there's also the fact that clandistine operation doesn't clash well with the crazy-go-nutz results of daemon summoning. Most of the time daemons are summoned for the havok they'll cause rather than allegience to the daemons. Logically speaking allegience to daemons prohibits alliegience to the Legion, so it's less likely to occur.

That sounds kind of like I think it's not a good idea; I think it's more than okay to use daemons, and even moreso Oblitz/Deficators.

Loyalist tendencies refers to a lot of fluff, possibly invalidated by newer sources, if you believe in that sort of thing. There was a lot of conjecture about wheter the AL was REALLY chaotic, or if they were loyalist. You can find lots of material about this on lexicanum; a key piece being the 'Cabal' Xenos group that convinced the Twins that they needed to rebel to bring the death of chaos. That's selling the situation leagues short, but it's enough for this discussion.

I'm completely okay with any degree of faith from any legion, to any god; If you want Nergalsque Thousand Sons, Slaaneshi Word Bearers, or CoD Sons of Malal, I'd encourage it. Khornate Alphabytes is pretty tame in my book.

Snake Tortoise
05-01-2015, 11:44
Even many of the loyalist legions had elements that turned traitor, so even if the XX are loyal a bunch of them going full chaos could happen.

Dr.Clock
06-01-2015, 16:13
For what it's worth, I'd suggest using a) Huron and/or b) Cypher's Chosen. This is the only reliable way to get Infiltrate in a CSM list, even if Huron's ability is random.

Cypher's Chosen can net you a pretty cheap and cheerful infiltrating firebase of plasma-death squads, and his Hit and Run is very useful if you might want to build a more assaulty chosen unit (though keep a close eye on those points, as too many power-weapons will balloon the cost unnecessarily). Then, using Huron, you can also infiltrate forward some cultists for chaff/objectives.

Beyond that, take more or less whatever takes your fancy.

It's also worth noting that if you don't really want the more zany Chaos stuff, a Loyalist Raven Guard or even White Scars list will make a credible AL list... and this will allow you to take scouts, which are very good proxies for more elite Operatives IMO.

Finally, AL are consummate rabble-rousers... It would not be uncommon to find only a squad or two of AL on the field surrounded entirely by more conventional human rebels. For this reason, the IA13 Heretics and Renegades list is a great pick, and you can supplement it with Cypher's Chosen to get up to 30 infiltrating unmarked Chosen for outflanking missions and the like. This, of course, would mean that your bread and butter will be more-or-less Guard... and with access to some great units like Wyverns and Russes as well. Indeed, the last time Alpha Legion 'really' showed up in a 40k (not 30k) list was as elite units in the original Renegades and Heretics list AFAIK.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

Okuto
06-01-2015, 22:53
IMO the CSM codex is unsuitable to portray Alpha Legion....well unless you're going the Dawn of War chaos loonie route......then you're fine

If you're trying to go for the secretive, sneaky approach they actually are portrayed as then I say use the loyalist dex

I find that is more accurately portrays them, oddly enough it also better portrays Iron Warriors and Night Lords

In my own Alpha Legion army, I just run Raven Guard chapter tactics and take a IG allied detachment to represent the operatives and form the bulk of the force.

I too also run Cypher sometimes but he's a bit overpriced imo

Although my Alpha Legion army has more of a "renegade" guerrilla army theme, worn out Alpha Legionnaires who don't care for Chaos or the Imperium, just trying to ride out the storm and survive. Hiding in plain sight till the Big E's lapdogs come knocking

adreal
10-01-2015, 11:58
The lotalist codex is pretty good for alpha legion, but so is the chaos codex.

With the change to the infiltrate rules (they may not have changed just became clearer) Huron can get a nice little deathstar all infiltrated and what not, loads of fun to be had there. In Imperial Armour apoc there is alpha legion special character, he is pretty nice, I've used him once but going forward I'll be using him alot more, I really like his feel, so check him out as well.

Now the new chaos imperial armour book (13 I think) has alot of nice options, chaos contemptors (alpha legion do have a very nice contemptor model), Chaos venerable dreads (not the same rules, but the same idea), some more fliers (great if you don't want a heldrake cause it's a daemon) and two types of drop pods.

Now your chosen and CSM squads can take these as dedicated transports, you can also take them in the fast attack slot, and the heavy slot for the big one. So if you really wanted, chaos can run a null deployment army with drop pods that are also assault vehicles (and can jink, so if you need to, hold the squad inside for a turn, jink then assault on turn two)

The Imperial Armour book really opens up the chaos codex, and I do recommend looking into it if you want to use the chaos codex.