PDA

View Full Version : Space Wolves, Youngblood army..?

Merellin
03-01-2015, 16:29
I just had a new army idea.. A youngblood army! Like a new successor chapter who only got a couple of veteran units and a lot of recruits or something. So it would be a wolf priest (Or a couple of them), And a bunch of Blood Claws, Swiftclaws and Skyclaws. And then a couple of elite units like a unit of sniper scouts or some Wolf Guard.. And maybe some Fenrisian Wolves too! Might this army work in a friendly non competetive enviorment?

mightymconeshot
03-01-2015, 17:51
It depends. Bloodclaws ( and their variants) struggle with a lot of things. They generate a lot of attacks on the charge but those attacks don't have a lot of hitting power behind them. I could such a list struggling against mech armies, elite armies, and ranged armies.

What kind of armies do you generally fight?

Merellin
03-01-2015, 17:59
I play against Eldar (Wraith army, Or random model the owner has in his collection army), Chaos Daemons, Orks, Astra Militarum, Blood Angels, Vanilla Marines And Chaos Marines. But none of us realy go for competetive stuff, We just play for fun, People say melee is impossible, In my group most people try to get into melee aswell as shoot at stuff. We just try to have fun.

mightymconeshot
03-01-2015, 18:19
Same here but that still doesn't change the fact bloodclaws aren't the greatest thing. Footslogging is generally too slow, putting them in a rhino means they have to disembark and sit there for turn, and assault vehicles generally aren't worth it due to their point cost and the lack of hitting power of the bloodclaws themselves. That being said I run a list which a 15 man squad in a Stormwolf with a WGBL for some good fun. A ton of attacks on the charge, and the Stormwolf can do a lot of damage to a vehicle or MC the turn it comes in.

But against wraithguard I can't see them doing much, Demons depends on what is being used. Probably be able to slaughter normal troops through weight of attack but most of the Fast Attack choices, HQs, Flying, and Heavy choices will probably decimate them. Orks, probably a great fight. Vanilla Marines and Blood Angels probably be ripped apart (WS 3 hurts). IG, depends on list type, but good chance you will be shot off table especially with good use of speed bumps. And Chaos Marines could go any direction. Some things in the codex could tear through bloodclaws, while others would be an even fight.

Their big weakness is a lack of long range. They have to get close and close fast or an opponent can pick them to pieces, even in a friendly game. And they don't have that good of options for closing and doing damage.

Merellin
04-01-2015, 16:47
I counted a bit and found that two groups of 15 Blood Claws and 2 Storm Wolves, Costs only 10 points more then 3 groups of 10 Tactical Marines and 2 Storm Talons without any upgrades so I'm thinking I'l gonna try it.

Tuborg
05-01-2015, 00:19
but is that flat not upgrades?

Because at that price point, you dont want your 15 guys beings tuck attacking something it cant hurt.

mightymconeshot
05-01-2015, 01:22
And you will want multimeltas on the stormwolfs.

SirBlackmane
05-01-2015, 06:05
You can run Ragnar's formation (he or a stand-in could be your successor chapter's master) if you want to run mostly Blood Claws. Gives Zealot to all Blood Claw type units within 12", which will really help offset the lower WS. You do however need half of your points sunk into it to even field it.

hobojebus
08-01-2015, 21:45
Bloodclaws are terrible against anything in power armour or with WS 4 or better, on paper 10 guys with 40 attacks sounds good but an average 20 hit then 10 wound and you might kill 3-4 guys tops.

Then 2nd turn starts and your done your hits drop drastically while the other guy is hitting you on 3's and those initial kills are soon caught up by the other guy and as your young un's flail ineffectually their numbers continue to drop.

Seen is so many times before it's simply not worth using bloodclaws, which is a damn shame because my great company is Ragnars.

Tuborg
08-01-2015, 22:32
Bloodclaws are terrible against anything in power armour or with WS 4 or better, on paper 10 guys with 40 attacks sounds good but an average 20 hit then 10 wound and you might kill 3-4 guys tops.

it has all the wonders of orks but the price point of marines.

You pay alot that other armies pump out for fractions of the price.