PDA

View Full Version : Goblin themed army 1500 point - Starting Over

Pokey ork
05-01-2015, 07:59
After I don't know how many years and looking around at some of my old stuff, I've been strongly considering getting back into Warhammer Fantasy. It didn't take me long to choose which army I wanted, my first true love the Gobbos! This is purely hypothetical though and is partially structured with what I have, notably the Goblin chariot and Doom diver. I have yet to get most of this, in particular a new stock of Night Goblins and Fanatics.

My plan to put my Goblin general on the spider with the three river trolls who are flanked on both sides by two of the 30 NG units with spears. The Mangler would be on the extreme of one flank with the Gobbo chariot and NG archers on the other.

Depending on the budget, I would also be interested how I could potentially trim this down to maybe 1k points? Maybe just use a Goblin Warboss on foot instead? I would be keen on keeping 3 trolls (common is alright) regardless however. This is what I have so far.

1.5k Points.

Lords

1 Goblin Warboss, Giant Spider, Shield, Light armour, Talisman of Protection, Basha's Axe of Stunty Smashin - 216

Heroes

1 NG Shaman Level 2, dispel scroll -110
1 Gobbo shaman level 2 - 90

Core
30 Night Goblins, Spears, 3 Fanatics, nets -210
30 Night Goblins, spears, 3 fanatics, champion, standard bearer, nets - 230
20 Night Goblins, archers 2 fanatics -110

Special

1 Goblin Wolf Chariot, extra gob and wolf - 60

Rare
1 Mangler Squig - 65
3 River Trolls - 135
2 Doom Divers -160

Total: 1496 points total

I'm obviously not looking to win tournaments but would like, or as much as a Gobbo themed army can, have an "all-comers" army where I may potentially be able to put up a fight against the majority of armies I may face, be they suped out Hero Hammer (End times lords withstanding) or gunlines. The main reason I put my Goblin Warboss on a spider and suped him up was to add both to his offense and defense capabilities, though I would be interested if there would be a cheaper alternative to make him tough as a Gobbo boss can get if I put him on foot, preferably enough to survive a few rounds of combat so hopefully his troll bodyguards can bash down the attackers. I would also consider a NG Warboss on foot but I doubt the LD7 would be enough.

Suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ozzywhitty32
05-01-2015, 13:07
I love gobbos as well there's something about those sneaky gobbos. Anyway your list look good but if I was you I would combine the unit with spears into one big unit of 50-60 other wise they will more than likely break in first round of combat or even shooting phase if a single war machine gets a good shot on you. I'd definetely put a big boss in every unit maybe even two so you have some hitting power in combat I'd also go for at least two level 2 shamans because according to Murphy's law he will more than likely over dose on shrooms in the first magic phase hope I can help

Ozzy

Pokey ork
05-01-2015, 13:58
Thanks Ozzy for the suggestion. Nice to know I'm roughly going in the right direction. Perhaps I could remove the spider mount and use those points for extra Goblins? I would be curious what else I could cut to fit the big bosses in. The spider and one fanatic (from the archers) could be cut to fit in 25 extra bodies, so I think I may be able to put 15 extra Goblins in one unit to bring to 45 and 10 to bring the other up to 40. Not quite 50-60 but would those numbers perform adequately? Unfortunately that doesn't leave room for two Ng Big Bosses with great axes. Any other suggestions to trim things down?

You were probably sleepy while posting but I actually do have two level 2 Goblin shamans :P just in case for the very situation you described. Cheers.

In Dark Trees
05-01-2015, 14:00
If you wanted to expand this list, you should certainly consider bolstering your main goblin units. 30 models just won't survive for very long. I would also advise you to get rid of the spears and either invest in more bows or go with the always-reliable sword and shield combination. Goblins are worthless at killing anything in combat--although they are acceptable archers. If you aren't wedded to the idea of a Night Goblin army, I'd also gently suggest you consider the virtues of the Common Goblin. They are relatively reliable (for gobbos) and are more durable than their subterranean cousins.

I would find some way to incorporate a unit of Wolf Riders into this list, probably by removing the Goblin Chariot. Unless you have several chariots, they tend to get blasted to smithereens quite quickly. I'd also drop the Giant Spider. They look terrific, but I'd always prefer to make my Warboss cheaper and more survivable. I'd actually consider giving him magic armor of some sort to augment his durability. You're going to need his leadership.

Ozzywhitty32
05-01-2015, 14:28
Yeah the spider will good on the table but you can guarantee it will be a fire magnet and will more than likely be sniped by a wizard in the first turn of combat if you stick him in a big unit of gobbos and give them the bad moon banner and some magic armour he should last longer and yeah short bows all the way. With big units you have got a horde unit making then steadfast and with the war bosses leadership it will make sure they don't turn tail pretty soon and yeah I agree with in dark trees about you lacking chaff wolf riders do this very well

Ozzy

Pokey ork
05-01-2015, 16:57
If you wanted to expand this list, you should certainly consider bolstering your main goblin units. 30 models just won't survive for very long. I would also advise you to get rid of the spears and either invest in more bows or go with the always-reliable sword and shield combination. Goblins are worthless at killing anything in combat--although they are acceptable archers. If you aren't wedded to the idea of a Night Goblin army, I'd also gently suggest you consider the virtues of the Common Goblin. They are relatively reliable (for gobbos) and are more durable than their subterranean cousins.

I would find some way to incorporate a unit of Wolf Riders into this list, probably by removing the Goblin Chariot. Unless you have several chariots, they tend to get blasted to smithereens quite quickly. I'd also drop the Giant Spider. They look terrific, but I'd always prefer to make my Warboss cheaper and more survivable. I'd actually consider giving him magic armor of some sort to augment his durability. You're going to need his leadership.

That's fine, I can easily drop a fanatic or both to boost the Goblin units to 40, or is that too small? Sorry, I'm still not 100% on the rules at the 8th edition meta, but just wanting to clarify. I'm also fine going sword and shield as Night Goblins, I was just under the impression spears were the best equipment to give them. Common Goblins aren't really my thing, Night Goblins have always been the main attraction in Fantasy, at least when it comes to the core unit slot. I love Gobbos but Night Gobbos over commons for me.

Yeah, the wolf riders definitely sound like they'd have more merit. Would a big boss with a unit of 10 with a great axe sound alright? And what equipment would be most optimal for the wolf rider gobbos?

Finally in regards to my Goblin general on the spider, my intention was to attach him to the unit of 3 river trolls to use as a bodyguard. Not sure about this but I was under the impression this was still possible for characters if mounted and they would still have the same protection as if glued to a regular troop unit? I can drop the spider though but thought the light armour and shield with the spiders mount bonus with 3+ armour save would have helped in the toughness department on top of his items. I actually would use a NG general but not sure how to bolster that LD 7, it just seems too low. Could be overlooking something though and would be more than happy for more suggestions, but thanks for the great input so far. If I could fit in a NG general I would, as I got that WD limited edition chap. Looks quite great for a Gobbo Warboss.

Yeah the spider will good on the table but you can guarantee it will be a fire magnet and will more than likely be sniped by a wizard in the first turn of combat if you stick him in a big unit of gobbos and give them the bad moon banner and some magic armour he should last longer and yeah short bows all the way. With big units you have got a horde unit making then steadfast and with the war bosses leadership it will make sure they don't turn tail pretty soon and yeah I agree with in dark trees about you lacking chaff wolf riders do this very well

Ozzy

Again as above, I was planning to attach my Goblin warlord on spider with the River trolls. I actually got the idea from the 5th edition O&G rulebook, looked both neat and effective, although I'm aware from 6th to 8th some of the rules and meta have changed dramatically but thought it may have still held merit.

I actually got the limited edition WD Night Goblin Warboss and again I'd love to field him but unless there is a way for me to bolster his LD somehow to 8 at least, I'd much rather use the Gobbo Warboss vanilla. Thanks for the input and now I'm going to have to see how expensive wolf riders are. I've been keen on those fellas for a while actually.

In Dark Trees
05-01-2015, 19:18
I remember that battle report where the spider-mounted Goblin Warboss herded a unit of trolls around the battlefield! Jervis Johnson really got pounded in that encounter. The fifth edition Orc and Goblin army book is great fun.

Anyway, you can attach the Gigantic Spider to a unit of Trolls, however I feel mounting a Goblin Big Boss on a Gigantic Spider is a much better investment. According to the rules for monstrous beasts, the Big Boss (who only has two wounds naturally) gets to use the spider's three wounds in combat. If you really wanted the spider, I'd mount an expendable Goblin Big Boss on it and use the model to hunt for warmachines and other fragile units.

The problem with mounting the Warboss on the spider is that you'll lose any "Look Out Sir!" rolls you could benefit from, making your Warboss a lot more vulnerable to shooting. In my view you don't want to compromise his safety and minimize the attention he attracts. My Common Goblin horde is led by a Goblin Warboss and his actions are based on the following motto: "I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve immortality through not dying."

40 Goblins in a unit is probably sufficient in a 1,500 point army. As the Wolf Riders, I would advise against attaching a Big Boss to a unit. I sometimes purchase them to act as independent units, however. They are cheap and make for great warmachine hunters.

Let me know if you have any additional questions! I love discussing gobbos of all sorts.

Pokey ork
06-01-2015, 18:03
Yeah, I got a second hand copy of the 5th ed Orc and Goblin rulebook, love it! Especially the small fluff spread around. That's pretty good advice actually, the "achieve immortality through not dying". Makes sense too I suppose from a plucky Goblin Warbosses perspective! Don't want to be left high and dry facing a bulked out Chaos Lord mono a mono, as funny as it would be if he actually won.

I've actually reconsidered and think I may drop the spider general and Goblin Warboss all together and give the Night Goblin Warboss a shot. That and I'll plop him on foot. I think too I may give him the armour of destiny instead with a shield, that way he has modest survivability while still having his "Look Out Sir!" roll. Was curious if you thought I should give him a great weapon or if there is any magic weapon which you think may be worth while?

That said, I'm still interested to attach him to the Troll unit as I'd find it characterful and potentially effective, but not too sure if, when the lines met, it may put him in more harms way than otherwise. Do you think having him with the 3 trolls would be safe enough? Keeping in mind they will be in between two of the 40 man NG units with fanatics. Or do you think I'd just be best off putting him into one of the NG units?

Not too sure how I'll fit in those ten wolf riders but I'll try to meddle with my list. Thanks again for the post and suggestions!

In Dark Trees
06-01-2015, 22:52
For theme's sake, I'd recruit a Night Goblin Warboss. Whoever is going to be in charge of your army will be leading hundreds of the little blighters; they might as well be from the same subculture. Anyway, I think the Armor of Destiny would be a decent bet, perhaps with the addition of the Fencer's Blades. He wouldn't kill much of anything, but he'd be reasonably durable. Another interesting build would be the Glittering Scales, Fencer's Blades, and the Talisman of Endurance, though this mixture might be better reserved for my Beastlord ;) Goblins might be too weedy to use it.

A great weapon is always a solid choice. I think your best bet would be to include him with a big unit of Night Goblins, so he can benefit from the nearby netters and help the unit in combat. I see your Trolls acting as a support/flanking unit. If you want to put a character with them, I'd just put a cheap and expendable Night Goblin Big Boss with great weapon in the unit. It's not optimal--and serves very little practical purpose--but it will be fun and characterful.

To fit in the Wolf Riders, I'd drop the chariot and the Mangler Squig. Those things are fun but they are somewhat superfluous in a bare bones list like this.