PDA

View Full Version : Free Reform Question

AngryOrcBitch...WAAAGH!
07-01-2015, 19:51
If I overrun an enemy and destroy the unit (for example, with a chariot) do I need to end my move facing the same direction, or do I get a free reform? I may be confusing the consolidation rule from 40k, but I thought you could reform and face a different direction.

SimaoSegunda
08-01-2015, 08:48
It depends how you overran. If you broke them in combat and pursued, then you don't get to reform, and must face the way you moved. (Note that when fleeing/pursuing, you go from centre of unit to centre of unit to work out direction).

However, if they fled your charge but you rolled high enough to catch them, then you can take a LD test which, if passed, allows you to reform.

AngryOrcBitch...WAAAGH!
08-01-2015, 14:10
Perfect. Thanks for the answer. (took 80+ people to look at this question before someone gave me an answer lol)

Void Sorcerer
08-01-2015, 15:41
For added clarity, here you are:

OVERRUN!
If the victorious unit charged into combat and the enemy was wiped out, it can move 2D6 inches straight forward.

If a unit charges into combat and, by the end of that round of close combat, all its enemies have been wiped out as the result of the combat (rather than the pursuit) the unit can choose to make a pursuit move, even with nobody left alive to pursue. This is an overrun move and represents the unit surging forwards, hungry to find more enemies to fight.

An overrun is essentially a special pursuit move. When making an overrun, the victorious unit moves 2D6" directly forwards, as if they were pursuing a fleeing enemy to their front All other rules governing pursuit moves, such as intervening units and terrain, apply to overruns.

Pursuers move like this:
The pursuing unit pivots to face the centre of the fleeing unit and moves directly forward equal to its pursuit roll. It will stop 1" away from any friendly units or impassable terrain, and will charge an enemy in the way.

In short, Overrun does not allow you to reform.

AngryOrcBitch...WAAAGH!
08-01-2015, 16:30
Ok. So this is contradictory to what SimaoSegunda posted. You are saying that once I overrun an enemy, the unit must stay faced the way that i pursued them? I cannot turn them 180 degrees to face back the way they came?

AngryOrcBitch...WAAAGH!
08-01-2015, 16:36
I can only ever move directly forward?

Blkc57
08-01-2015, 17:58
Ok. So this is contradictory to what SimaoSegunda posted. You are saying that once I overrun an enemy, the unit must stay faced the way that i pursued them? I cannot turn them 180 degrees to face back the way they came?

Hey Angryorc, Actually what Void said does not contradict what SimoaSegunda said. I think you are just confusing the two distinct events together that Simoa listed. First as Void stated if you make a charge and win a combat in the same turn wiping an enemy out you can either choose to reform or choose to overrun: if you choose to overrun you move forward 2d6 inches (or 3d6 highest two depending) and must keep the facing you currently have from the combat moving directly forward if this causes you contact another enemy unit this is a new charge and you may make all the necessary wheels and such to do so, if you choose to reform after winning combat you just stay where you are and reform the unit into a new formation and facing.

Simoa was describing an alternate situation where if you declare a charge and the enemy elects to flee as a reaction, the dice are rolled and if the charger still manages to roll high enough to catch the fleeing unit then this causes the fleeing unit to be destroyed and the charging unit is free to move the distance to up to the destroyed cowards and make a LD test to gain a reform.

SimaoSegunda
08-01-2015, 19:18
Hey Angryorc, Actually what Void said does not contradict what SimoaSegunda said. I think you are just confusing the two distinct events together that Simoa listed. First as Void stated if you make a charge and win a combat in the same turn wiping an enemy out you can either choose to reform or choose to overrun: if you choose to overrun you move forward 2d6 inches (or 3d6 highest two depending) and must keep the facing you currently have from the combat moving directly forward if this causes you contact another enemy unit this is a new charge and you may make all the necessary wheels and such to do so, if you choose to reform after winning combat you just stay where you are and reform the unit into a new formation and facing.

Simoa was describing an alternate situation where if you declare a charge and the enemy elects to flee as a reaction, the dice are rolled and if the charger still manages to roll high enough to catch the fleeing unit then this causes the fleeing unit to be destroyed and the charging unit is free to move the distance to up to the destroyed cowards and make a LD test to gain a reform.

This is exactly right.

Vulgarsty
10-01-2015, 21:27
If you are subject to Frenzy and wipe out your enemy in the turn you charges, you can't choose to reform but have to overrun. correct?

SimaoSegunda
10-01-2015, 23:14
That is correct.