PDA

View Full Version : Shooty Clan Skryre Skaven: Best way to do it???

Gmaleron
23-01-2015, 06:21
Hello everyone, I have been away from Fantasy for awhile now but thanks to the rumors of 9th edition coming up I am getting excited to play the game once again! I have decided to go with Skaven as my army of choice, but not just any Skaven army. I want to do a Clan Skryre themed army with lots of gizmos and gadgets and of course, lots of shooting as that is what they are all about! However it has been so long since I have played I cannot remember what to add or what makes a nasty Shooty Clan Skryre army list and could use some help. I know you need the following units for sure in this army:

-Warp Lightning Cannons
-Doomwheels
-Stormfiends (*It says they are Clan Moulder but im sorry, Rat Ogres with guns to me screams Skryre and I could model them in a way to make them look much more Skryre-eeee!)
-Lots of Clan Rats with Weapons Teams
-Storm Banner?

Other then that I am not sure what else to add or how to build my Shooty Skryre themed Skaven army so anyone who knows how to put said army together and the tactics needed to run said army I would love to hear it. Thanks for posting guys!

Brother Haephestus
23-01-2015, 06:58
Don't forget Warplock engineers. Think there's a new unit in Thanquol concerning them. There's also the Verminlord Warpseer, specializing in Warp Lightning.

Gmaleron
23-01-2015, 07:01
I have yet to pick up my copy of that End of Times book, what does the new unit entail?

Brother Haephestus
23-01-2015, 07:20
I don't know - don't have mine either. I do, however have the Uniforms and Heraldry - the Skaven book and we forgot Jezzails and Poison Wind Globadiers. I'm in Army Builder doing some awesome right now.

Gmaleron
23-01-2015, 07:55
Clan Skryre are Red aren't they for their color scheme and heraldy right? And I know what the army entails in regards to fluff, im looking for a competitive built shooting Skaven List however, can you help me with that?

BlackPawl
23-01-2015, 08:52
Clan Skryre are Red aren't they for their color scheme and heraldy right? And I know what the army entails in regards to fluff, im looking for a competitive built shooting Skaven List however, can you help me with that?

Sometime ago I had gave fun with an army with as many weapon teams as possible (2 rattling guns, one Poison Wind Mortar, 8 or so WFT), together with Iket Claw and some warlock engineers casting warplighnings every round.

Now I'm playing in a small league (with restrictions from "Small Horus") with a Skaven force with 17 Jezzail teams, one WFT, one Doomwheel and one WLC. Even that Jezzails are seen as suppar units, in the last two games (against Choas Dwarves / Ogres) they have had much impact on the game. Even on long distance they could kill every round a mounfang with S6 and -4 as.

My jezzails are painted red, regarding the "Thin red line" at Balaclava.

Brother Haephestus
23-01-2015, 18:05
Okay - I am not going to promise a competitive list; that's your responsibility. There are a few reasons for this, such as differing playstyles, model availability, fluff constraints, etc. (For example, a build this size would start, before I did anything else, with 3x Giant Rat Packs and 2x units of Gutter Runners with slings and poisoned weapons).

Finally, if you want a specific army build, how about putting in a points limit? Without that, I am going to maximize rares choices, and come up with a list. I did 2x Warp Lighning Cannons, 1 Doom Wheel and 3 Stormfiends. Ratling Cannons are your piece of choice here, but maybe you want a warpgrinder to provide board penetration. Regardless, the costs are the same however you field them. This comes to 585; we'll blow that up to 600 and make a 2400 pt list.

IKIT CLAW'S SHOOTY-SHOOTY KILL-KILL List

Lords
Ikit Claw (duh)

Heroes
Chieftain BSB with Warpmusket
Warlock Engineer, lvl 2 Wizard with Warp Lightning Condenser, Warpmusket
Warlock Engineer with Doomrocket, Warpmusket

Core
50x Skavenslaves w/Pawleader, Musician (horde formation)
30x Stormvermin w/Full Command, Shields and Poison Wind Mortar (Lord/Heroes bunker)
20x Clanrats w/Full Command, Shields, Warpfire Thrower
20x Clanrats w/Full Command, Shields, Warpfire Thrower

Special
5x Poison Wind Globadiers w/ Poison Wind Mortar (travel behind Skaven Slaves and throw overhead in combat)
3x Warplock Jezzails
3x Warplock Jezzails

Rare
2x Warp Lightning Cannons
Doomwheel
3x Stormfiends

Finally, Skryer colors are dirty bronze armor, and the cloth varies from dirty white and dirty green. Red is used as a splash color; piping, symbols, and leadership robes, etc. The predominately red colors you are seeing belong to Clan Mors, Volkin and the Grey Seers. See PM.

Nicreap
23-01-2015, 21:50

I thought skure was yellow/orange. Clan mors has lots of red.

Gmaleron
25-01-2015, 14:56
not a bad fluffy list but wouldn't poisoned wind mortars be the best choice? Every time I've seen or tried warp fire throwers they've always been shot first or never done anything due to low range.

forseer of fates
25-01-2015, 15:21
stormfiends........

RTB01
25-01-2015, 18:20
In terms of colours wd states red armour for skryre, correct or not I'm unsure...

Brother Haephestus
25-01-2015, 18:40
Mortars over Flame Throwers? Your choice. I'm just giving you a baseline to tweek up. The reduction in points adds more to your scavenging goodies pool. I like flame throwers myself. The template is 8 inches, which means your range is going to be anywhere from 10 to 18 inches (or BOOM). With that knowledge in mind, play accordingly. I mix and match because scatter can be a real problem. If I've done good generalship, the range is more dependable with the Flame Throwers, AND I like to have them sort of on War Machine guard as well. Your play style and mine are going to be widely different, so definitely tweek as you see fit.

@RTB01 Which White Dwarf please, I'd like to go back and check. Also, we know GW retcons (that's French for "effs up") details all the time. The definitive answer should be what is in the Uniforms and Heraldry book, and the red armor is pretty much indicative of the Warlord Clan Mors. Skryre is Green, off white and splashes of red accents. I have sent the OP the necessary pages; but here is an example:

RTB01
25-01-2015, 19:57
Wd weekly 51. I've also got uniforms and heraldry. I'm strictly skryre but I'll be having red armoured vermin and fiends, looks first! :) mix of red and black under ikit

thrawn
26-01-2015, 22:53
@ brother H.

never put slaves in a horde formation, it will just allow your opponent to kill them faster. they will also lose their steadfast faster that way.

i've found i like my skryre list (also have one) but you need a hammer somewhere. it's either a hell pit or plague furnace unit. with the new thanquol and vermin lords i'm going to play around with them as my hammer as well.

Brother Haephestus
26-01-2015, 23:31
@ brother H.

never put slaves in a horde formation, it will just allow your opponent to kill them faster. they will also lose their steadfast faster that way.

i've found i like my skryre list (also have one) but you need a hammer somewhere. it's either a hell pit or plague furnace unit. with the new thanquol and vermin lords i'm going to play around with them as my hammer as well.
Appreciate your observations Thrawn! However, your comments make me think you may have overlooked a few specifics in the thread that make my list perhaps a little more relevant:

1) OP: "Clan Skryre themed army" - True, the OP doesn't say Skryre-only, but it is implied based on units listed
2) OP: "lots of shooting"
3) Me: "I am not going to promise a competitive list"
4) Me: "differing playstyles" - In other words, this isn't a list I would take

My play of this list would be to have the slaves stand between the enemy and the globadiers while they lob overhead (Life is Cheap). As thrown weapons, PWG only have a range of 8" - far too short to be standing 1" behind 10 ranks of slaves - they HAVE to be ranked smaller, and if I am going to do that why not get an additional horde attack rank? I apologize for not stating the tactic straight out, I thought it would be implied clearly enough.

Wd weekly 51. I've also got uniforms and heraldry. I'm strictly skryre but I'll be having red armoured vermin and fiends, looks first! :) mix of red and black under ikitTOTALLY agree! In fact that's almost my exact color scheme. Blame it on the simple yet gorgeous paint job of the IoB Warlord and the Verminlord Warbringer. I'm just stating that H&U doesn't assign Red to Skryre - in fact it is Clan Mors' theme!

EDIT: Annnnnd found it! Thanks so much! Let me write a scathing letter to White Dwarf now ...

Brother Haephestus
27-01-2015, 09:30
Well, color me flabbergasted! (snicker) I sent an email to White Dwarf about the clan colors, and actually got an email back. Make of it what you will.

Quick-quick, send assassin-agent, make manthing forget what he saw! ;)

In all honesty, David, you are correct in a fashion, the colours of Clan Skryre were shown as brass and mangy green in the Uniforms and Heraldry book. It appears, though, that we're moving towards red for them instead, though. Like you say, I'm not sure that's a big deal really as we just paint our models how we like – my Clan Skryre models are painted with green robes and probably always will be because I like the colours.

The blue colour scheme is an entirely new one for Warhammer: Thanquol. It is, in fact, the colours for Thanquol's own army.
And no, White Dwarf won't be renamed (at least not that we're aware of!). The Dwarfs might be taking a kicking during the End Times, but they're not down and out, not by a long stretch. ;)

As for our pictures appearing in the magazine, there are reasons behind it, but none of them are that exciting. Perhaps we'll return one day, older, wiser and more handsome. And wittier… ;)

Dan

Gentlemen and Ladies,

Did we make a mistake, or have you “retconned” Clan Skryre’s colors without telling the rest of us?

On page 18 of Issue 51 of White Dwarf Weekly, you paint three Stormfiends “in the colours of Clan Skryre.”

However … according to Uniforms and Heraldry: Skaven, Clan Skryre’s colors are dirty bronze armor with dirty green and off white/parchment while red is only used as a splash color! In fact, the clan that I would say is specific to this color scheme is Clan Mors.

To be honest, it’s neither here nor there – the new blue armor scheme doesn’t match ANYTHING in the Uniforms and Heraldry book at all, and we all paint what looks good over “fluff continuity”, but I couldn’t help but mention it.

As a complete aside, I continue to LOVE the Weekly, but I *do* miss the people. Gaming is supposed to be a social event, and when you take images of your team out of the game it makes everything feel stale. Like Algebra. Yuck. Just one man’s opinon of course, but I miss seeing Staffers having fun enjoying our hobby.

Last comment/question and I am out the door! With the End Times all but slaughtering the dwarfs out of existence, will the magazine be changing its name to Warhammer Weekly? Will “Ask Grombrindal” become “Ask Faceless Staff Member?” I’m looking forward to what Warhammer Fantasy is going to become, but it seems you’re going to be busy rebranding everything. Why name your magazine after a race that’s hardly an afterthough any more?

Anyways, keep up the good work! Please don’t look too harshly at my comments – nothing but love here!

Best always –
David

RattyBoy
31-01-2015, 13:57
Hi people!
I'm thinking about getting back into the game. I'm new to the forum, and apparently can't post my own threads yet. So sorry for somewhat derailing this thread (my question is related though!).

I'm thinking about starting with Skaven. I love that race. But I'm wondering how they win battles? VC have vampires lords that can kill entire ranks in a single turn, some races have power ranged weapons like cannons and bolt throwers. Ogres and WoC are generally just beefy and scary. But how does Skaven get enough combat res and kills in general to win battles?