PDA

View Full Version : New plastic balrog

Lord of Change
28-06-2006, 14:16
finally a plastic balrog. although its the 3rd one theyve released. it comes with whip or sword options. you can find it on GW online store. does anyone else think its smaller than the other two?

Havoc
28-06-2006, 14:54
A link would be nice.

Thats the problem with LOTR in my opinion, they can only release newer versions of the older models and not do anything new unless they bring out another sourcebook.

Orinoco
28-06-2006, 15:20
ha! its the same price. all these people who say things like, cause a kit is plastic it will be cheaper, well, that's rubbish.

Sleazy
28-06-2006, 15:35
wasnt the last one placcy? the one released about 6 months to a year ago?

if not i assumed it was.

I got given the original metal one at release (all full timers were) and to be fair I've done nothing with it.

warboss48
28-06-2006, 16:30
i believe he is talking about this guy balrog (http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=99121499016&orignav=16). it is available for advance order.

Pertinax
28-06-2006, 17:39
All I can say is "Why?". Any self-respecting balrog lover will have one (or two) now. Why make a plastic one?

KingM
28-06-2006, 18:54
We had a thread a while ago on this. I like the fact we have a plastic one now. Both weapon options is great, plus the plastic whip is way better than the metal one.

However, the price is shameful. £35 for a single plastic sprue. That's the same price as a Land Raider crusader, and £10 more than the plastic giant. It's almost beyond belief, there really is no justification for that price tag.

Notna_Highborn
29-06-2006, 21:05
I like the metall one more than the plastic but it is also nice to have an alternative of his weapons.

Lord of Change
03-07-2006, 09:55
sure its a great idea, but i must agree that the price tag is a rip. although, because its plastic it could be easier to convert. not that anyone would...

Neknoh
03-07-2006, 10:04
I sorely do hope you can mail-order that whip/sword sprew, my whip broke the instant I tried to adjust it into a playable pose, and, the hand is too heavt to get into place without pinning

rkunisch
03-07-2006, 13:03
Well, it seams they try to bring more big models into plastic. The only question is why did they make the second metal one? :confused:

I am still undecided, if and which of the newer Balrogs will end on my shopping list...

Have fun,

Rolf.

Long_Fang
04-07-2006, 04:40
Damn, it looks the same as before.....and from what I hear, you can now bits order LOTR.

The Judge
04-07-2006, 18:34
The new metal one came out because the plastic frame was not ready in time... why that's an excuse to make a new metal one I do not know.

Nagash
05-07-2006, 22:30
Well I am not going to complain about a great plastic kit that I can use for conversions to either WHFB or 40k.

Although I don't approve of GW's behavior on releasing Balrogs.

Neldoreth
06-07-2006, 15:50
Well, it is great to have a plastic balrog kit! It is horrible that it is the same price as the metal ones... Absolutely rediculous. I imagine GW figures they would phase out the metal one (the original in the battle of Khazad Dum box set) for this one but would increase their profit margins...

I was looking forward to finally getting a balrog at a reduced plastic price... I would have picked up a metal one before, but because it isn't all that playable I decided to wait for a more reasonably priced and justifiable purchase (considering playing potential)... But it wasn't to be. There is no way I would buy a plastic kit of the same fig for the same price as a metal kit...

GW is sinking their own ship here...

Neldoreth

Osbad
07-07-2006, 10:21
Saw it "on the sprue" yesterday at my local GW. Even the Tigger who showed me it had to admit that the detailing was not as good as the metal one (less relief on the "scaley" bits on the legs and torso), so while it has a nice base, for me the 35 price tag seems totally unjustified c/f the metal one.

My guess is that in time they will cease production of the metal one and this will be the only one available, otherwise conversion-nuts aside (who can buy "bitz" anyhow) who would prefer the plastic one?

Personally the only justification I can make for GW doing this has the most unpleasant undertones. The thought of only seeing large models in plastic from now on AND BEING MADE TO PAY METALS PRICES for them is obscene. How can this thing be worth 10 more than the Warhammer Giant?

Messiah
07-07-2006, 12:36
I think it has a bigger pricetag because it will not sell as good..

Dr Death
07-07-2006, 13:35
I think it has a bigger pricetag because it will not sell as good

The old GW tactic eh? "Only a few people like it- lets squeeze them for it". I hate and loathe the new plastic Balrog with a passion because it is so rediculously pointless and is an outright manipulation of the "plastic fantastic" lot. Why anyone would want to make their probably only balrog purchase a cheap hollow peice of plastic is beyond me- it only makes sense for your big beasty to be metal. If GW do take the metal one off the market (either one, at least the second metal one they had the decency to change the pose slightly) i really am going to be quite irate.

Dr Death

Osbad
07-07-2006, 14:39
The whole issue does sort of scream loudly "lets screw the customers" doesn't it?

Speaks volumes about just how "price inelastic" (tr.: "stupid") they believe their customers to be doesn't it!

Good grief, anyone who pays £35 for that piece of plastic tat needs their head examined!

Osbad
07-07-2006, 14:41
Well I am not going to complain about a great plastic kit that I can use for conversions to either WHFB or 40k.
Nagash, would you seriously consider spending £35 for a few bits of plastic to stick on other models? Have you been a brain donor recently?

Shadowheart
07-07-2006, 14:50
I'm positive that they made the plastic Balrog for the newbies. It's a highly attractive follow-up purchase to the Mines of Moria set. Big, metal models require a lot more experience and patience to assemble than the average noob can muster. Plastic kits on the other hand are a breeze. I think it's a perfectly good choice to release it in plastic.

To price it at the same price as the metal one is another matter though. It's not like to kit offers you anything extra, besides the base. The ability to make the choice between sword and whip after you buy your Balrog rather than before doesn't count for much.

I wish they'd do a different set of wings for the Balrog and Fellbeast. A halfway folded pair would look much better, just couldn't be done in one part.

Nagash
07-07-2006, 18:38
Nagash, would you seriously consider spending 35 for a few bits of plastic to stick on other models? Have you been a brain donor recently?

Nah I was thinking more in line of using the body to make a Demon Prince for 40k or using it as more convenient alternative to a Bloodthirster. Plastic is much more pleasant material to use as a basic for a model rather then a heavy metal model that requires major pinning to not fall apart.

The Judge
07-07-2006, 20:01
The body would make a cool daemon, the wings a pretty Tyranid and the head is great for a mask or something. The many, many flames you get on the sprue could be used for anything.