PDA

View Full Version : Chaos 500pt list for beginners

armyofmites
05-02-2015, 19:32
Hello Warseer people. I like playing 500pt lists, and i'd like to have your opinion on this one. I put Marauder Horsemen in it just because i love them! Here we go:
- Marauder Horsemen x5 (musician, horsemaster, shields, throwing axes)
- Hounds x5 (vanguard)
- Hounds x5
- Warriors x12 (FC+shields)
- Chaos Sorcerer (Fire + Luckstone) = 500
Seems legit or not? Thanks for your feedback!

Soulsmith
05-02-2015, 20:25
I thought hounds didn't count towards minimum core? In which case you're one unit off a legal list I think.

Groza
05-02-2015, 23:45
They do count towards minimum core in 8th, and even if they didn't I think they would still count for the minimum 3 units requirement.

armyofmites
06-02-2015, 05:52
Indeed, they are Core. And i like their cheap cost, to block line of sight for example, and Vanguard always put a little extra pressure on your opponent ;) I hesitated between a solid 20 Marauders FC unit and the 12 Warriors, but in the end i chose Warriors to act as bodyguards for my Sorcerer. Hope it's gonna work!

theJ
06-02-2015, 13:26
I'm seeing two issues;
*You've got one spell. One. To get through dispels, you'll pretty much HAVE to 6-dice it. And then your warriors die. Magic in general rarely works well unless you've got 3+ spells to split the dice between. 2 can work if you're lucky with dice generation, but if all you've got is one, don't even bother bringing a wizard. He's not going to be worth it.
*I don't see the value of multiple hound units in 500pt games. Redirection is all well and good, but not when it leaves you without damage potential.

ROCKY
06-02-2015, 15:35
I'm seeing two issues;
*You've got one spell. One. To get through dispels, you'll pretty much HAVE to 6-dice it. And then your warriors die. Magic in general rarely works well unless you've got 3+ spells to split the dice between. 2 can work if you're lucky with dice generation, but if all you've got is one, don't even bother bringing a wizard. He's not going to be worth it.
*I don't see the value of multiple hound units in 500pt games. Redirection is all well and good, but not when it leaves you without damage potential.

This. Hounds also cause panic tests to warriors if they are near and you are not MoK or MoS. In this small points of a game I would look at what basics you need. First off your core should probably be warriors of chaos and I would go far as to give the the banner of swiftness to get them moving fast. A cheap character would be also effective. if you using End Time rules half your points can be used to get one if not then Simply go for a Exalted Champion with a mark and an enchanted shield (for a 2+ armor save). Now if your going Endtime rules. you could take a lvl 2 with the spell familiar and have 3 spells. at this point level will really make a big difference.

Vulgarsty
06-02-2015, 22:23
if you using End Time rules half your points can be used to get one

I don't think it matters now - if you are playing WFB it has moved to 50% for the whole game - no choice. Of course people may play any agreed restrictions they like.

Under the old rules , I might have said Scyla would have been a pretty sound choice (and still think a reasonable prospect). At 500 points he could be quite nasty, Marauders of Khorne are pretty deadly at 500 aswell. How about the following as a nice Khorne themed army:

General: Scyla Anfingrimm, 105 pts
12 Chaos Warriors of Khorne, 251 pts (Champ, Musician; Standard Bearer (Gleaming Pennant); Mark of Khorne; Additional Hand Weapon;
5 Marauder Horsemen of Khorne, 100 pts (Champ, Mark of Khorne; Flails)
5 Chaos Warhounds, 40 pts (Vanguard)
Total Roster Cost: 496

I'd probably buy the battalion, Scyla and the marauder horse box, as I moved to 1000 points I'd definitely get a box of Skullcrushers and then either a gorebeast chariot and 6 more warriors or get some magic support along the lines Rocky suggested and 5 extra warriors (unfluffy though if you are to become a devotee of the Blood God...)

armyofmites
09-02-2015, 07:26
Indeed Scylla is the cheapest cost, but i wish they was Hero or any general possible under 100pt. When you play small games it's sometimes difficult with just three small units and a general. But thanks for your feedback! :)

Line of Hurin
09-02-2015, 22:09
If you want to keep to a Khorne theme then just take a mutalith vortex beast, no magic/psychic users and only a bound spell you can 6 dice with no ill effects, and it is kinda useful plus you get impact/thunderstomps.

Soulsmith
10-02-2015, 15:15
You also have the potential to take Beasts and Daemons now, so you do have some nice options. Unless you really wants just Warriors. Marked Gors are pretty much superior to marauders in every way.

Vulgarsty
10-02-2015, 20:33
My khorne army has a shrine and a MVB so i get to chuck whatever dice i do get whilst not committing blasphemy

armyofmites
11-02-2015, 08:04
Marked Gors are pretty much superior to marauders in every way.
Marked Gors! Excellent idea! With Primal Fury there must be at least one or two good combos! I'll work on that :)