PDA

View Full Version : Need help with 600 point Nurgle Legion for Escalation

Soulsmith
12-02-2015, 00:18
Hey there, recently found out a tournament I am planning on joining is 600 points with escalation. And I have no idea how to start an army that small with Legions of Chaos. Was thinking if I could fit a gorebull in at that points? Or if it would even be a good idea? He could go unmarked, though most my stuff I would prefer to be MoN.

I am planning on a standard block of Nurgle Halberd warriors. Otherwise I am up to suggestions. I would quite like to try out some marauder horsemen with flails, and I have putrid blightkings ready to go.

theJ
12-02-2015, 09:10
I am planning on a standard block of Nurgle Halberd warriors. Otherwise I am up to suggestions. I would quite like to try out some marauder horsemen with flails, and I have putrid blightkings ready to go.

Sounds decent enough. Warriors and Blightkings advance down the middle to grind down opposing blocks(which they should handle just fine even without support). Horsemen hunt down warmachines and lone characters... or smash into flanks if none of those are around.
With your core and three units decided, all that remains is the general... depending on points, I would go for either a cheap, naked & cheery combat character, or if there's points to spare, give said character a cool mount and use him as a second flanker. A wizard is an option IF you can get him/her at least three spells, but is nowhere near as essential as it would be in a larger army.

soo...
General: Exalted Hero of Nurgle /w... um... Halberd? OR Exalted Hero of Nurgle /w Chimaera/Manticore & Halberd
Core1: Warriors(10-12) /w Mark of Nurgle, Full Command & Halberds
Core2: Marauder Horsemen(5-6) /w Mark of Nurgle, Champion, Musician & Flails
Fancy: Putrid Blightkings(5) /w Full Command

I sadly don't have the book on hand, so you'll have to look up the pointscosts yourself.

When it's time to escalate(1k pts?), you first considerations should be, in no particular order;
*Expand the warriors to have three ranks, and 6-7files, or as close as you feel comfortable getting. This is basically the "standard" size for independent warrior units, and something you should aim for, long term.
*Get yourself a caster, 3 spells minimum... in fact, make that lvl3 minimum, to ensure you can dispell properly, which will probably be his/her primary role. You'll have to get one eventually, and 1k pts is about the breaking point for when the pros start to outweigh the cons.
*If you don't already have it via a mounted character, consider a beefier flanker to complement your horsemen, such as a chimaera, plaguedrones, or knights. Probably less important than the others, but still very useful.
For your second escalation(~1.5k pts?), you can start looking at battle standards, chaff, and a third combat unit... but don't worry too much about it yet :)

Deploymentwise, deploy your infantry first, blightkings to face what you think'll be your opponents' "main block" and warriors against a secondary one. Escalated beef flanker third, to threaten whatever flank or unit looks the most vulnerable, and horsemen last, when you can see where your opponents' weak spots are, and they(hopefully) don't have anything left to counter-deploy.

Soulsmith
12-02-2015, 12:56
Ok, got two prospective lists here, one focused on hero the other on units:

List 1:

Hero:

Chaos Sorceror, level 2, familiar, MoN, Ruby Ring of Ruin - 205

Core:

11 Chaos Warriors, Halberds, Full Command, MoN - 239

5 Marauder Horsemen, Musician, Champion, Flails, MoN - 110

5 Warhounds, Vanguard - 40

Total - 594

The sorceror could theoretically be replaced by an exalted hero or a gorebull. The threat I guess is shooting, but I am hoping with three spells I can do some nasty things with lore of nurgle.

List 2:

Hero:

Chaos sorceror - level 1, unmarked for lore of fire, luckstone, dispel scroll - 140

Core:

10 Warriors of chaos, MoN, Full Command, Halberds - 220

5 Warhounds, Vanguard - 40

Special:

5 Putrid Blightkings - 200

That gives me more oomph with the blightkings, but much less magical possibilities. Still, fireball isn't bad. It is tempting in both lists to remove the hounds for 6 Ungor raiders with a musician, to ambush somewhere mean and distract some of the enemy.

Warrior of Naggaroth
12-02-2015, 15:49
I wouldnt take a so low level wizard alone, because literally the only way you wont be dispelled is by irresistable force, and that will be terrible to chaos warriors at such low points. Other than that I don't play legions of chaos so cant help much.

Soulsmith
12-02-2015, 18:11
I wouldnt take a so low level wizard alone, because literally the only way you wont be dispelled is by irresistable force, and that will be terrible to chaos warriors at such low points. Other than that I don't play legions of chaos so cant help much.

In that case, imagine list 2 with a basic exalted hero with heavy armour, a halberd and maybe scaly skin if it can fit.

theJ
13-02-2015, 08:44
In that case, imagine list 2 with a basic exalted hero with heavy armour, a halberd and maybe scaly skin if it can fit.

That is probably the best option, I'd say.
It'll give you two solid combat units that should be able to overpower nearly anything else at that pointlevel. The hero probably won't be MVP, but he'll at least have a bigger impact than the Sorcerer would.

EDIT: wait... heavy armour? I thought those guys got chaos armour as standard?

Soulsmith
13-02-2015, 15:14
EDIT: wait... heavy armour? I thought those guys got chaos armour as standard?

My bad, I think that is battlescribes fault, my laptop with my digital books is in the shop for repairs and I don't have back ups. Yeh, so halberd and MoN on him would be all I could afford I reckon.