PDA

View Full Version : How to field Malekith(not end times)

Warrior of Naggaroth
12-02-2015, 19:57
So, the title says it. I'm playing a 2400point tournament with ETC. comp, and have to make an army. I really want to use Malekith, love the character, like the mini(believe it or not) and had some success with him last tournament I played (he survived 4 out of 5 games, in one of which he lost a total of nine wounds!). The main question perhaps is what kind of mount and unit to have with him, but also what other units are good in his army. Advice for tactics on how to use him is also appreceated.

mostlyharmless
12-02-2015, 20:20
I don't think I would stick him on a dragon, or a chariot. That makes him too much of a target. If anything, I'd say a cold one.

Warrior of Naggaroth
12-02-2015, 20:33
Yeah, thats what I did last time. I had him on cold one in a unit with BSB and 10Knights, however they got targeted by all the artillery the enemy had and shot to pieces every time (doom divers, trebuches, reaper's etc.) so it felt like I was doing something wrong. Allthough Malekith survived, the 400+ points for the knights felt a bit wasted. The second problem with cold one is stupidity, which can be solved by bsb or Malus, but both these can be shot down and cost a lot.

Determinator
12-02-2015, 20:35
Firstly he is not worth the points dreadlord and supreme sorceress for the same but if I were i would take seraphon 1+ armor save is really helpful and the dragon has better stats

ItsAquila
12-02-2015, 20:47
Firstly he is not worth the points dreadlord and supreme sorceress for the same but if I were i would take seraphon 1+ armor save is really helpful and the dragon has better stats

How does he get a 1+ save on seraphon?

Other then that. I would actually field him on a dragon too. Thats cheaper then the 400 points for the knights and he will get shot at anyways. That way he can fly, flank and has terror. Not to mention the Dragon he rides is quite good. Other then that: Yes, you will gimp yourself a bit compared to dreadlor/supreme sorceress... but thats nothing new to you, and you WANT to field him. So everyone suggesting to not take him misses the point of this thread imo.
So yeah. On a dragon he should go. :)

Knifeparty
12-02-2015, 21:24
1+ armor save is really helpful and the dragon has better stats

He can't get a 1+ save on seraphon, the most is a 3+ save. You need to crack the rulebook and read it.

Non-Eternity King Malekith is terribad. He has way too many glaring weaknesses. He can't fight his way out of a paper bag and he's not exactly a great caster for his points. I've never played ETC comp, every tournament i've ever attended has been balls to the wall, with comp he might be able to be competitive to be honest i'm not sure what they allow and don't. A Vampire Lord or a Daemon Prince would wreck this guys day, hell a Frost Phoenix could hold him up all game. He's a walking target for Runed up Organ Guns or Searing Doom. He's kind of like an etherial unit in a way, really good against some things, really bad against others, but the stuff he's bad against you see a lot of.

Even if you put him in with Cold One Knights you still have the same problem of that unit just getting focus fired to death, and then there's the whole stupidity thing. But you could make a death star unit I guess. Just push it forward and hope it lives. Maybe Malekith, Malus Darkblade, BSB and 17 Cold One Knights with the banner of swiftness and hope for the best.

Rake
13-02-2015, 13:49
Your core problem is you are trying to reconcile something you love and like: Malekeith and fun stuff in Warhammer, with something that is the heart of darkness: tournaments and competitive warhammer. Stay away from the darkness.... :)

Warrior of Naggaroth
13-02-2015, 15:02
Keep in mind, I do not in any way intend to win the tournament, and dont think I could even without Malekith, but I want to have a half-decent army that is fun to play. Also, thanks for all the advice, I appreciate it.

ItsAquila
13-02-2015, 17:32
If you want to field a more 'balanced version' of him, you could try to take a look at Malekith, Phoenix King and ask your oponent if you can field him instead of vanilla malekith. He is strong, but not broken strong as the Eternity King. And his point cost is more like his default cost on dragon.

forseer of fates
13-02-2015, 18:41
Realistically thou, the characters as they are now are more than likely how they are going to appear in 9th edition, so I would be getting used to maliketh the eternity king.

Warrior of Naggaroth
14-02-2015, 10:17
The tournament does not allow neither end times characters nor armies, so neither the phoenix king nor eternity king is an option.

ItsAquila
14-02-2015, 12:14
The tournament does not allow neither end times characters nor armies, so neither the phoenix king nor eternity king is an option.

Then on dragon he goes. ^_^ It is imo the best option.

And yeeeeees. Not taking him would be best.