PDA

View Full Version : Rusty? Moi?

Mad Doc Grotsnik
29-06-2006, 01:05
Oh dear.....

I played my first game of 40k in months last night. Cityfight, Tau V Imperial Guard, 1,000 points.

I ended up with my Xenos Buttcheeks on a Silver Drone Platter to mount on my wall.....

Good GOD the games has changed since 3rd Edition. Lots of new little tweaks here and there, the Rulebook barely left my hands.

And I would just like to say, Cityfight (or rather, Cities of Death) really is a case of horses for courses. The number of wounds saved by that ******* 4+ would have killed twice the troops he had. If I bothered to read my Codex before starting out, I'd have noticed the Airbursting Fragmentation Projector....and just how Guard knacking it is!

Never, ever again will I forget my Jetpack movement in the Assault Phase. Never again will I forget about the Grenade Launchers in his Command Squad that put an end to my Piranha based shenanigans....

I feel like a former Premiership Footballer having a kick around in the park when he realises a life of Pie and Beer really isn't good!

*sob*

Vineas
29-06-2006, 01:28
I feel for you Mad Doc. I'm not new to 4th Ed but I'm fairly new to Tau and hopefully in a few weeks I'll have the CoD Imperial City box assembled and can get some CoD games in.

I'm definately leaning toward the AFB for Cityfight games against Guard. Against Marines I'm leaning toward the CIB and Plasma combo.

What does your Tau list typically look like (sorry if I'm going OT)?

Mad Doc Grotsnik
29-06-2006, 01:30
Last night?

24 Firewarriors, 6 Stealth, one commander, 3 Piranha and 1 Hammerhead with SMS and Railgun...thats my 1,000 points.

I've learnt a lot, and one of those lessons? Piranha perhaps aren't that great in Cityfight, and I'd be better off investing in Crisis Suits with Flamers!

IJW
29-06-2006, 01:34
Don't worry, a few weeks ago I played my first game of 40k since not long after 3rd ed came out. It was a 500pt game, and I managed to kill two (2) marines. In the entire game.

:cries:

cailus
29-06-2006, 02:46
I play at least once a week. Recently a Guard army wiped out my Orks by turn 3. My Orks killed 3 Guardsmen in return.

Then the sole surivor of my army, my warboss, went nuts and killed 18 Guardsmen and destroyed a Chimera.

Vineas
29-06-2006, 03:37
24 Firewarriors, 6 Stealth, one commander, 3 Piranha and 1 Hammerhead with SMS and Railgun...thats my 1,000 points.

I've learnt a lot, and one of those lessons? Piranha perhaps aren't that great in Cityfight, and I'd be better off investing in Crisis Suits with Flamers!

My proposed list is very similar MDG although pirahnas replaced with Sniper Team and a Warfish (DF with SMS, TA, MT) for my 12 FW's with Pulse Carbines. I think with Rapelling Lines strategem I can get some good fire lanes without too much worry bout LoS.

Adept
29-06-2006, 06:47
Never, ever again will I forget my Jetpack movement in the Assault Phase...

At least, not until your next game.

boogle
29-06-2006, 11:12
I will warn you Mad Dok, that a lot of Ig players might be investing in Carapace Armour for COD (i know my Vostroyans are!!!)

Havoc
29-06-2006, 11:37
COD is a great for Dark Eldar, my friend found out the hard way :evilgrin:

Mad Doc Grotsnik
29-06-2006, 13:00
Thankfully, the owner of said Guard army has themed it very heavily to be a PDF force, with Gangers, Cititzen Militia etc...

But it really is quite upsetting when you realise that, despite knowing the theory and having a lot of experience, all talent and forethought you once had is buried at the back of the head!

Sildani
29-06-2006, 14:05
"Gettin' dumb", as it's said in these parts, is simply human. Don't worry too much about it.

However, were you not the one with all the advance Tau info a while back? Didn't you say that, if we knew what you knew about the Tau Codex, we'd be happy bunnies (if we played Tau)? I'd have thought those rules would have seared themselves into your brain, as grill marks are seared into steak.

Console yourself with the thought that you'll never forget all that again!

Mad Doc Grotsnik
29-06-2006, 14:08
And thats the trouble!

I know stuff about stuff like stuff, and then I go and forget it in the heat of battle!

I feel like Jack Black in Mars Attacks!

jfrazell
29-06-2006, 14:13
I played my first full game in more than six months myelf last night. LATD vs. troop heavy guard (escalation). Nothing like both getting your head handed to you and half remembering rules/getting them confused with EPIC (I kept fighting the urge to throw down blast markers and move twice).

4th ed actually has some nuances that are quite a bit different-mostly concerning vehicles. I think you'll quickly see why transports and ground vehicles are used much less often.

boogle
29-06-2006, 14:29
just wait until Cities of Death Captures you fully jfrazzell

Astromarine
29-06-2006, 15:07
I will warn you Mad Dok, that a lot of Ig players might be investing in Carapace Armour for COD (i know my Vostroyans are!!!)

Cameleoline you mean?

boogle
29-06-2006, 15:22
Cameleoline you mean?
nope Carapace, as cameoline still doesn't give you any saves against the multitude of flamers that will appear, a 4+ AV and 4+CV save is better than no save from either against a Flamer

Son of the Lion
29-06-2006, 15:33
Oh dear. This has got me even more worried about my imminent return to regular gaming. I don't mind losing occasionally (read: constantly), but I do hope I don't end up humiliating myself in front of a succession of 12 yr old powergamers. I might just have to hang up my spurs....

Codsticker
29-06-2006, 15:43
One should always have a little batch of Necrons or Marines on hand in case they take a vacation from gaming. That way they have a something a little more forgiving to use when they choose to get back into the game. :)

Mad Doc Grotsnik
29-06-2006, 17:47
Nooooo! Not Necrons or Marines!

I love my Tau! They are all cloven hooved and everything! Don't want stinking Space Marines or nasty Necrons!

Toppan
29-06-2006, 20:43
wow with a name like mad doc grotsnik id expect you to be an ork lover...what happened? i think that tau arent very good in CoD because they rely on ranged too much. Orks on the other hand, rock three times any other army besides tyranids.

Mad Doc Grotsnik
30-06-2006, 00:47
Tau are actually surprisingly good in Cityfight, as frankly, nobody has sitting on your **** pouring out firepower sewn up tighter than the Tau! And their extra mobility is a real boon too....

If only I'd taken the right bits!

And I used to play Orks, but kind of forgot about them a couple of years back. That, and my army is 450 miles away with Cade!

Codsticker
30-06-2006, 04:01
Nooooo! Not Necrons or Marines!

I love my Tau! They are all cloven hooved and everything! Don't want stinking Space Marines or nasty Necrons!
I can totallly appreciate the sentiment; I just thought could use them for a game or two untill you got your legs back- kind of like crutches. :p

Spam2mapS
30-06-2006, 05:31
Ohhh jeez, I'm going through a rust shedding experience at the moment.

Some of you may remember me as IdaBIGboss on portent (it was a few years ago, but I know I'm seeing some familiar names around, Grotsnik :) )

I haven't played in approximately 4 years, I just had my first 4th edition game last week. A friend of mine who works for GW bought me a copy of the new rulebook, so I picked up my new 'nid codex, did some repair work (my army fell out of the back of a friend's pickup truck, probably one of the main reasons I stopped playing), and I was off to my local GW! Supprisingly I ran into several people who I used to play with, and I had a great time getting back into things.

I do feel a little lost though. I've got a pretty good grip on everything that hasn't changed much, but I had never encountered Tau before (I had picked up their codex when they were new, just before I stopped playing, but never faced them) and I have no idea what's up with all this new Necron business :eyebrows: .

But yes, fun stuff! Looking forward to playing some more over the summer before I have to head back to school.