PDA

View Full Version : Your experiences with Be'Lakor

Darnok
19-02-2015, 16:12
My gaming group has a discussion about Be'Lakor going on. Basically the usual "is he too good?", and what restrictions should apply - if any.

I'd like to hear about your experience(s) with his current rules. If possible, please give some details on the game he has been used in (opponents army, game size, was there anything used apart from "regular WHF"). And of course: did you play using Be'Lakor, or did you play against him?

And if you are familiar with the Swedish Comp system: what comp rating would you suggest for Be'Lakor?

Groza
19-02-2015, 23:55
Be'lakor has current rules? Where are they?
He's my least favorite warhammer character by far but this got me curious.

Darnok
20-02-2015, 08:53
He got new rules with a Battlescroll, to be found on the BL page (http://www.blacklibrary.com/games-workshop-digital-editions/Battlescroll-Belakor.html). If I remember correctly, it was released with GWs latest "advent calender" before Christmas 2014.

Aranel
20-02-2015, 21:16
I find him to be a softer option than the bog standard Nurgle prince. His lack of armour makes it difficult for him to tank in combat; I lost him to a unit of wild riders in one round of combat (rather unluckily) and makes more susceptible to standard magic missiles. He's slightly more survivable against cannons + stone throwers etc due to a better ward save. In short, I have had to be a lot more careful with him than with similar characters.

However, protect and manoeuvre him well and his special rules really come to the fore. Loremaster shadow speaks for itself, his -1 ld bubble is really good and has made the difference for me in several cases. The -2 to hit, combined with miasma has the potential to keep him safe from a lot of standard BS shooting. The power dice rule is a bit situational, you only start seeing it kick in from turn three really.

I don't really know much about Swedish comp but I would certainly put him on a level with a standard daemon prince.

Just my two cents; hope it helps!

Evil Hypnotist
28-02-2015, 20:21
I'm thinking of taking him to a tourny next month, perhaps trying to combine his -1 Ld rule with a hellcannon for -2 ld panic tests and getting opponent's battleline in a mess. Flying 20" and then casting Steed of Shadows in the magic phase will really get Belakor about!

Darnok
01-03-2015, 00:50
I'm thinking of taking him to a tourny next month, perhaps trying to combine his -1 Ld rule with a hellcannon for -2 ld panic tests and getting opponent's battleline in a mess. Flying 20" and then casting Steed of Shadows in the magic phase will really get Belakor about!

I'm more than curious to hear about your experience with this. Either from the test games or the actual tournament: please share your results.

forseer of fates
01-03-2015, 10:42
Na Darnok, used him twice, no more, his only defence vs artillery is four wounds and 4+ ward, also being l10 he has to be general unless you have archeon or sigvlad. You don't really want to get him into combat either. Fist time he died to a cannon ball surprise surprise and 2nd time wood elf archers. He's just too much at 500, or if he wasn't ld10, lol stupid chaos lords being ld9. On hindsight you could stick him behind trolls or beasts of nurgle to protect him against shooting.

Evil Hypnotist
01-03-2015, 21:55
I'm more than curious to hear about your experience with this. Either from the test games or the actual tournament: please share your results.

No problem, should be interesting. Forseer has a point about the shooting, his lack of chaos armour may be his downfall. I have a test game on Friday hopefully so we will see.

Evil Hypnotist
15-03-2015, 19:26
Had a game on Friday with my Be'lakor list, here is what I took:

Be’lakor

Sorcerer Lord
Mark of Slaanesh
Enchanted Shield
Talisman of Preservation
Chaos Familiar
Steed of Slaanesh

Exalted Hero
Battle Standard Bearer
Mark of Slaanesh
Shield & Flail
Helm of Many Eyes
Scaled Skin

17 Chaos Warriors
Mark of Slaanesh
Full Command
Banner of Discipline

5 Marauder Horsemen
Mark of Slaanesh
Flails

2 x 5 Chaos Warhounds

2 x Chaos Chariot

5 Hellstriders of Slaanesh
Hellscouges

5 Hellstriders of Slaanesh
Hellscouges

Chimera
Regen
Flaming Breath

Hellcannon

Took on another Warriors list against one of our less experienced players; he has had a terrible time with his Nurgle Warrior horde so he changed it up (finally) and went for filth:

2 Daemon Princes of Tzeentch, Daemonic Flight

2 Chimeras with Regen

2 x 3 Skullcrushers

2 x 20 Nurgle Warriors with shields

Spawn

Yeah....so I wasn't sure how this was going to go. He had really powerful units but no chaff, no BSB and no magic where I had lots of chaff and a lvl 4 loremaster and a lvl 3.

He had all his fliers on one flank, skullcrushers in the middle and both units of warriors on the other flank. I planned to use my chaff to bait his skullcrushers, while I get my infantry and chariots into his infantry. I left the DPs and Chimeras to the Hellcannon, my own Chimera and Be'Lakor. The plan was trying to work; I managed to get Pit of Shades off from Be'lakor on one of his Chimeras but he rolled a one for the init test, I direct hit one of the DPs with the Hellcannon and only rolled a 2 for multi wounds.

By the end of turn two I had thrown my chariots in only to see them bounce off one of the warrior units, they then got ganged up on and destroyed. The skullcrushers were led a merry dance by first my warhounds and then by the hellstriders before I then got Be'lakor in on a rear charge on turn 3. No armour saves and -1Ld to their break test saw them destroyed in one round. I also got a double charge with my warriors and marauder horsemen in the flank of one of his warriors units and managed to break them and run them down too.

By this point he had charged a DP and Chimera into my own Chimera, flubbed his DP attacks and then I roasted and killed his Chimera for only 2 wounds back (rolled out of the box on regen saves). The other was running around like a headless chicken as I kept moving my units out of his charge arc. By the end of turn 4 he had finally pinned down my warrior unit with a DP, Chimera and the remaining Nurgle Warrior unit. I got Be'lakor in range and got Okkam's off on them. They got annihilated but not before killing the DP (this was the one the hellcannon had wounded earlier - he had a 4++ but had to roll against 9 str 9 hits :P)

Coming into the final turn he had his warriors, 1 chimera, his general DP, warriors, spawn and a unit of skullcrushers left, who had taken the hellcannon in the flank, only taken a wound and then turned to face and smashed it to pieces. I had Be'lakor, my Sorc Lord, a unit of dogs and marauder horsemen. The dogs and horsemen did a great job of making the warriors and skullcrushers chase their tails, while the 11" movement spawn(!) had pinned down my lvl3. He had spent most of the game running round the back of his battleline trying to get Choir off on the odd unit here and here, 3 times I needed only 1 pip on the dice (oh to be a lvl4!). I was horrified to see me only cause 2 wounds in his combat phase with his Chimera in a position to charge so I couldn't move out of the way and my opponent just turned the Chimera round - he hadn't seen the charge!

Final turn; got Be'lakor stuck in on the Skullcrushers and had finished off the spawn so I could move my lvl 3 within 12" of his General DP, the Skullcrushers and his Chimera and finally got the big Choir off. Killed a Skullcrusher and also killed his DP! The Chimera then panicked and ran (with a -1Ld from Be'lakor) and I killed another Skullcrusher in the combat, he broke and ran but didn't catch him. Shame it was the last turn of the game as Iwould have gotten 2D3 power dice for Be'lakor in the next friendly magic phase otherwise.

It turned out a win for me and the Dark Master, even without adding in the fleeing Chimera and Skullcrushers. I'm under no illusions though, my opponent missing that charge with the Chimera on my Sorc Lord won me the game. He was playing a new list and didn't know how some of it worked, in the hands of an experienced player I think it would have been very different. I was impressed with Be'lakor, being able to fly and have Loremaster is so useful, getting off Okkam's and killing his DP was a huge number of points netted and turned the game really, despite losing my infantry. I am worried about being so magic heavy, I had average magic dice through the game and had to decide what to prioritise. I didn't get off a number of spells against only a natural dispel too! I also didn't manage to combo my hellcannon and the -1Ld from Be'lakor, I got 1 hit and that was on an unbreakable unit. Still, I was quite pleased with my tactics - the chaff did exactly what I needed them too; redirect and then sacrifice themselves to save more important units. I had one unit of Skullcrushers reform in a circle for a couple of turns - again, a more experienced player wouldn't have let that happen. Pretty happy with how it went, I need to play a shooty army next to see how the Dark Master deals with having no armour...

logan054
17-03-2015, 11:59
Honestly I just don't think he's worth it in a all comers list, especially when you already a sorcerer Lord in the list. He just lacks the protection that the other daemon princes have. I think I'd rather have a death Mage over a shadow Mage. I think he really lacks the tanking ability of a standard daemon prince.

Evil Hypnotist
18-03-2015, 10:08
Honestly I just don't think he's worth it in a all comers list, especially when you already a sorcerer Lord in the list. He just lacks the protection that the other daemon princes have. I think I'd rather have a death Mage over a shadow Mage. I think he really lacks the tanking ability of a standard daemon prince.

I agree, I don't think he will do well against armies like Lizardmen - cold blooded and lots of cheap shooting, or Elves, or anything ITP ;) but for the one or two armies/setups that does benefit him I think he can be a real can opener. It's just interesting using something a bit different I suppose.

Sexiest_hero
18-03-2015, 13:15
Meh You shut down his magic phase, and he's a glorified flying verminlord, that must be you general.I've seen him off with smited TK archers. That said I do get tons of use out of vermin lords these days......

logan054
18-03-2015, 16:58
I agree, I don't think he will do well against armies like Lizardmen - cold blooded and lots of cheap shooting, or Elves, or anything ITP ;) but for the one or two armies/setups that does benefit him I think he can be a real can opener. It's just interesting using something a bit different I suppose.

I think the danger with daemon princes that are also your lvl4 is they become the focus of a lot attention as they are massive points sink while also encompassing your magical defense.

If you like the model (which is really good still) then why not, you don't need any other justification.

I'm sure my general will enjoy punking his ar*e :p

popisdead
16-04-2015, 23:22
Based on my uses of him (Mono slaanesh daemons) in an uncomped 8th environment I would be surprised if he got comped. He is 500 points for a flying lvl 4 with a couple neat rules. It isn't like Lore of Shadow has low casting values or returns PD to you.

If you were using him in a Legion of Chaos list you could do more LD shenanigans but then,... comp there?

Maetco
17-04-2015, 06:39
I used him once. It was quite some time ago so I can't remember the specifics anymore. I do remember though that my first impression didn't change. He is far from OP but maybe a bit cheap for all the goodies you get. He does reguire tactical use though so the common Nurgle DP is better is you like to keep it simple. Also Lore of Shadows reguire an army built around it regardless of the caster so if you take Be'lakor you really have to build the army around him for him to work.