PDA

View Full Version : Help with WoC vs VC

Vadth
19-02-2015, 21:28
Vampire counts have been my bane in these last few months. In our campaign I've lost every game against Vampire Counts and most are not even close. The biggest problem to me is the terrorgeist and its stupid death shriek ability just sheds my army. I only have one hell cannon to use and my single nurgle daemon prince is able to answer one cheese choice from VC but its just not enough to make the games even. I played a practice game with a different friend whom was rusty with his VC army, it wasn't that cheesed out, and he made a lot of mistakes. I still lost. I need advice because I'm drawing a blank at what I can do.

Groza
19-02-2015, 22:57
You can always go chaos legions and bring a hellcannon (or two) to make short work of him.
I don't have experience with terrorgheists because none of my VC opponents so far have used it but I'd imagine that the problem is pinning it down and killing it before it can scream at you. Afaik it's not that tough so maybe even a chimera can deal with it by unloading its breath weapon. It has a far bigger charge range than his shooting range so it's possible.

Knifeparty
19-02-2015, 22:58
Does he only have one terrorgeist?

If so it's not that bad. Basically everything worth taking in a WOC either flies or is mounted so you should be able to dominate the movement phase.

You could death magic it, kill it with skull crushers. A unit of Skull crushers on the charge should be able to kill it in one turn.

Alternatively, you could use a Daemon Prince of Slaanesh to get the Lore of Slaanesh. It's probably one of the best lore's in the game. Acquiescence and Cacophonic Choir 2 of the most game breaking spells ever. It would definitely help controlling that Terrorgeist.

There's also the Chaos Lord of Tzeentch on a disc. 1+/3++ re-rolling one's with a great weapon and stubborn hat works wonders.

Or you could ignore it all together and just suicide charge into the army general and win.

Vadth
20-02-2015, 06:23
You can always go chaos legions and bring a hellcannon (or two) to make short work of him.
I don't have experience with terrorgheists because none of my VC opponents so far have used it but I'd imagine that the problem is pinning it down and killing it before it can scream at you. Afaik it's not that tough so maybe even a chimera can deal with it by unloading its breath weapon. It has a far bigger charge range than his shooting range so it's possible.

I can't use Chaos legions, have to stay with Warriors. I believe its t6 so the chimera's strength 4 breath weapons isn't going to hurt it. And given its leadership 5, the chimera will just die on the terrorgheists turn.

Does he only have one terrorgeist?

If so it's not that bad. Basically everything worth taking in a WOC either flies or is mounted so you should be able to dominate the movement phase.

You could death magic it, kill it with skull crushers. A unit of Skull crushers on the charge should be able to kill it in one turn.

One is bad enough for me. I haven't tried death magic yet. Skull crushers can take it out. By that token the terrorgheists can also movement up and wipe them out with one scream as well. The thing is I can't charge it first turn if I go first, it can move into range and cripple the Skull crushers on its first turn if it goes first.

Alternatively, you could use a Daemon Prince of Slaanesh to get the Lore of Slaanesh. It's probably one of the best lore's in the game. Acquiescence and Cacophonic Choir 2 of the most game breaking spells ever. It would definitely help controlling that Terrorgeist.

There's also the Chaos Lord of Tzeentch on a disc. 1+/3++ re-rolling one's with a great weapon and stubborn hat works wonders.

Or you could ignore it all together and just suicide charge into the army general and win.

I will probably try the Slaanesh option with my game tomorrow. I can't really ignore something thats flying around and destroying 200-300 points a turn. His general is a tool up vampire lord on the coven throne so he's not dying anytime soon unless I get lucky with a hell cannon shot.

nathan2004
20-02-2015, 21:23
Unless he's using Undead legions or within 12 inches of his Army General he can't fly. Movement 10 isn't that hard to counter when you can field a mostly flying/chariot army with WoC. Death magic on your Nurgle Prince is really the best way to handle him is what i've found, and 'crushers (assuming of course he doesn't get to scream you first) or unkillable Chaos Lord are great alternative ways to handle them.

bobhope99
21-02-2015, 00:02
The best way to deal with VC with warriors is run multiple medium blocks of warriors and run at him as fast as you can, just engage him across the board and give him no high value targets to scream at. Any unit of warriors will kill the ghiest in combat but it will only kill a hand full of them a turn. No matter what you are using just stay in checker board formation so that no matter where he lands you can kill him on your turn, the best he can hope for is a 1-1 trade then.

Scion of Sanguinius
21-02-2015, 15:37
I play VC so here is what I would do against a terrorgheist with WoC; it probably can't scream at you effectively in the first turn (or at least not at anything important if you deploy right) so I'd try and mitigate the damage it could cause using the General's inspiring presence, and maybe try and charge it with some marauder horsemen to tie it up. You may get lucky if it whiffs its return attacks, and can try to crumble it through combat res or, worst case, tie it up for a turn by forcing it to scream at Marauder horsemen who are cheap. Holding it in place also gives you a chance to set up a charge on it while it's locked in combat... if you can catch it it's not that hard to kill (yeah its toughness 6 but it only has a 6+ regen if you wound it). Plus each wound you take off the Terrorgheist makes its scream less effective.

While you have it tied up, run as fast as you can at the rest of his army. You should have a huge advantage against most undead stuff in melee as WoC. Hope this helps.

HammerSim
23-02-2015, 11:21
I think against screaming VC lists you need to field lots of models in your army. Having a few elite troops is just too risky against screamers. Like some one above said, lot of medium sized units that aren't worth much probably will work well.

HammerSim
23-02-2015, 11:23
Not only that, having a larger number of units also limits where he can land the terrorgheist. They have a huge base. So it is quite cumbersome to move if the battlefield is full of units.