PDA

View Full Version : 2000pts Zombie Dragon VC's For Tourney

Rael
20-02-2015, 16:04
Hey guys,

Prepping for tourney. Let me know what you think.

Are 7 Wolves plus Champ useful or just waste of points? Would 6 Crypt Horrors and 3 Vargheists be better than 8 Crypt Horrors? Champ on Crypt Horrors? Enough magic?

Vampire Lord
-Lvl 3 Vamps
-Zombie Dragon
-Lance, Shield
-Talisman of Preservation, Glittering Scales
-Quickblood, Redfury

Strigoi Ghoul King
-Lvl 1 Death
-Biting Blade, 5+ Ward Save Talisman

Banshee

Banshee

41 Ghouls
-Ghast

5 Dire Wolves

5 Dire Wolves

8 Crypt Horrors

auStun
20-02-2015, 17:24
Ghoul King - ditch the biting blade so that his attacks still have poison. He already has 4+ or 5+ Regeneration so you don't need the 5+ talisman. P.S. Lvl 1 death wizards suck and I don't believe Ghoul Kings can take anything other than Lore of Vamps.

Vamp Lord, lose the dragon. Lvl 4 vamps, Give him Heavy armor, shield, Red Fury, Aura of Dark Majesty, Beguile, Skabscrath. Aura helps your beguile and Skabscraths death shriek. Skabscrath gives your Vamp lord two extra attacks. If you cast vanhel's and hellish vigour on your self, your 7 attacks become close to 14 because of Red Fury. Plus your death shriek. Almost guaranteed to slaughter a character or even half a unit.

Keep the Banshees close to your Vamp lord with Aura of Dark Majesty and their ghostly howls will benefit

6 crypt horrors and 3 vargheists for sure!

Make your ghouls a horde and cast vanhel's on them.

Take a Terrorgheist solo to death shriek and scare people.

Ahnarras
20-02-2015, 18:34
7 wolf + champ are only useful if you are planning to use the duel trick, and if your opponent do have a lone character running around (and i said running for a reason, you will have a hard time catching a flying character. And non-flying character are usually in unit).

6 horrors are good if you can back them up with lot of necromancy. You only have one Nehek, and not much dangerous magic. I would stay with 8 horror. But adding 3 vargheist seems a good bet, i think you lack of unit. I'm not sure what you plan to do with your banshee (are they ethereal chaff? do you take them for screaming?) but you could easily switch them for the vargheist.

Not sure about champ on crypt. Seems always a bit cheesy, trying to avoid fight with duel. If you take him for the extra attack, i would say it's not worth it. For a few more point, you have another Horror (so more W in the unit).

As your title speacks about zombie dragon, i won't tell you to take it out the list. After all, if you are not facing canon, it's a powerful monster (and the ridder even more).
Glittering go well with the swarm of the dragon, just beware that the swarm is in base contact only, be careful of supporting attack.
It still leave you with a 4+ armor save, that's not much for a guy running around alone, even with the ward. For a couple of point, you could take an enchanted shield to have a 3+, or even stronger, the dragonhelm (and it will help you against warmachine too, as some of them are often flamming).
You have only 4 spell (and the ghoul king doesn't really count), maybe give him lvl 4 to make the dispel priority harder for your opponent?
Quickblood/Redfury/Lance, a typical blender. If you have spare point, maybe add a potion of strenght, for the case where you didn't charged (but you usually will, not a priority).

Ghoul king can only be from vampire lore, so no Death magic for him. He doesn't need a 5++ ward, as he already have a 5++ regen.
Giving him the blade, as Austun said, will cancel his poisoned attack. Either you give him a really strong magic weapon, or just keep the poison. A little weapon like the bitting blade seems like a waste of point to me, except if you really fear ethereal.

41 ghouls seems too much for me. And you still have to few unit. I would advise dropping ~10 of them to add an unit of zombie to tarpit something.

Wolves are ok, if you want chaff. If you want an unit able to eat some archers or a warmachine, consider having a big unit of 10 (but the vargheist should do that just fine).

Rael
21-02-2015, 15:48
Appreciate the detailed replies.

Banshees, I chose them mostly for support of my big blocks. Dealing with chaff or putting a few wounds on stuff I'm having trouble dealing with.

Ghouls, you guys really think 30 is enough? I'm stuck with Ghouls due to models. I don't have any Zombies or Skellies. I could split them and have a 10 man bunker for a Necro behind my lines.

Wolves, I thought they no counted towards the minimum core.

Revised list:

Vampire Lord - 733 pts
-Lvl 3 Vamps
-Zombie Dragon
-Shield
-Sword of Anti-Heroes, Talisman of Preservation, Glittering Scales, The Other Tricksters Shard
-Quickblood, Redfury

Strigoi Ghoul King - 260 pts
-Lvl 1 Vamps

Necromancer - 65 pts
-Lvl 1 Death

30 Ghouls - 310 pts
-Ghast

10 Ghouls - 110 pts
-Ghast

5 Dire Wolves - 40 pts

5 Dire Wolves - 40 pts

3 Vargheists - 138 pts

8 Crypt Horrors - 304 pts

Total - 2000 pts exactly!

The French Guy
23-02-2015, 18:05
Hi!
I love the Zombie dragon model, so I thought about fielding it, but against friendly opponents mainly.
Anyway, here is how I would use it:

Vampire lord:
Zombie dragon, Level 4, shield/
+1 hit sword, -1 hit armor, 4++, OTS/
Red fury, Quickblood, Beguile. 770pts

Hope it helps!

auStun
23-02-2015, 19:48
Hi!
I love the Zombie dragon model, so I thought about fielding it, but against friendly opponents mainly.
Anyway, here is how I would use it:

Vampire lord:
Zombie dragon, Level 4, shield/
+1 hit sword, -1 hit armor, 4++, OTS/
Red fury, Quickblood, Beguile. 770pts

Hope it helps!

Yeah ditch that lvl 1 death mancer and do what this guy said with your vamp lord.

Vladyhell
23-02-2015, 19:50
I use a Lord on Zombie dragon everygame and Nightshroud is my favourite item.

The French Guy
23-02-2015, 21:31
Actually, I would ditch the Strigoļ and keep a Lvl1 Necromancer with Vampire lore and the Cursed book.
I would keep the Ghouls as a block of 40, and 2 units of 10 wolves or 4 of 5.

Yep, Nightshroud is amazing.
Hope it helps!

Bronhoms
23-02-2015, 21:39
Make the vampire lvl 3 lore of vamps

Don't take this as sound advice.

The French Guy
25-02-2015, 11:16
I'm curious though, why should he drop one magic level? :)

tanniith
25-02-2015, 18:06
Your list will not do well in a tournament setting. SGK are not competitive and neither are Zombie dragons. Your list doesn't really have anything to deal with things like WL hordes, Gutstars or warmachine heavy lists.

Zombie Dragons are terrible because in just about every army that can bring a dragon (Empire, Elves, Chaos) it's the dragon that's the scary part. For us, the vampire is far more dangerous than the dragon. You need a delivery system for your vampire lord to get him where he needs to go like black knights or grave guard.

Terrorgheists are one of, if not the most feared monster in Warhammer. Take one.

Pick up spirit hosts and hexwraiths. They're amazing and at worst will protect your other units from magic missiles for the first few turns.

The French Guy
25-02-2015, 18:41
I think that when the thread title is "Zombie Dragon VC's for tourney", comments should be about how to make it viable rather than don't take a Zombie Dragon.
Otherwise the thread has no point IMHO.

tanniith
25-02-2015, 19:11
I think that when the thread title is "Zombie Dragon VC's for tourney", comments should be about how to make it viable rather than don't take a Zombie Dragon.
Otherwise the thread has no point IMHO.

He also asks what we think. He points out it's a tournament and I'm pointing out that his list will in all likelihood get crushed in a tournament setting. He's free to ignore my advice but the point of the thread as OP said himself "Let me know what you think".

The French Guy
25-02-2015, 23:41
Ok, no problem then :)