PDA

View Full Version : What is wielding?

Maetco
24-02-2015, 07:32
There are magic weapons that say something like: "Attack made with this weapon benefit from X." This is clear in when the benefit is gained. But there are also weapons that say something like this: "The wielder benefits from Y." When exactly does a model wield a weapon in WFB?

At the beginning of CC a model with several weapons / weapon combinations to choose from must choose the one s/he uses in that combat. Do you only wield a weapon that you have chosen to use in CC, meaning that you don't wield weapons outside CC?

Normally models can't get more than one magic weapon at a time but there are exceptions to this. The most obvious one being Daemons with their special gift mechanism. If a Daemon has 2 magic weapons and one says: "Attacks made with this weapon benefit from X." and the other "The wielder benefits from Y." Can this model choose to use former in CC and benefit from both X and Y?

Several model have / can get special attacks some of which are done instead of the normal attacks. Do these attacks benefit from Y if they have a magic weapon which says "The wielder benefits from Y."?

Evil Hypnotist
24-02-2015, 11:19
I have been on the end of this; where a Daemon player has taken the Exalted Gift that gives D3 bonuses to certain stats and applied them but used another magic weapon from another gift because he argued 'wielding' meant he just had to have it on his character, he didn't actually have to use it in combat. I disagreed, I see wielding as holding the weapon personally. We rolled a dice for it and I lost but I still ending up sitting on his Daemon Prince with my GUO in combat despite the bonuses so it didn't have a huge effect on the game.

Unfortunately I don't think wielding is defined in the Warhammer rules, so there will be people trying to take advantage of this and all its associated benefits. The argument goes both ways, however, so if you don't agree with it then roll a dice like I did.

Poncho160
24-02-2015, 11:49
Wield means to hold and use. So to get the benefit the character must actually use the weapon I feel :)

Maetco
24-02-2015, 14:42
I have been on the end of this; where a Daemon player has taken the Exalted Gift that gives D3 bonuses to certain stats and applied them but used another magic weapon from another gift because he argued 'wielding' meant he just had to have it on his character, he didn't actually have to use it in combat. I disagreed, I see wielding as holding the weapon personally. We rolled a dice for it and I lost but I still ending up sitting on his Daemon Prince with my GUO in combat despite the bonuses so it didn't have a huge effect on the game.

Unfortunately I don't think wielding is defined in the Warhammer rules, so there will be people trying to take advantage of this and all its associated benefits. The argument goes both ways, however, so if you don't agree with it then roll a dice like I did.

I had to check just to see what exactly the Eternal Blade says. It says "...the bearer's...are increased..." Bearing is the same word used with Talismans etc. and imo means that the model only needs to have the item for the effect to be in place. So I must agree with your former opponent.

About wielding the English language does assume an active use and this is how I've understood it but it's not 100 % clear and might create some strange situations.

Slightly off topic continuum of the matter is special attacks. Do you wield your magic weapon when you make them (eg. Unholy Strike [WoC]?

Groza
24-02-2015, 18:02
The thing is, Unholy Strike sounds like a technique, not a weapon. It makes sense that you can use this technique with whatever weapon you're using.
Eternal Blade on the other hand is great with sword of swift slaying but common sense in combination with the restriction according to which you can only use one magical weapon in combat says that the benefits are not cumulative.