PDA

View Full Version : Which company is this Blood Angel Captain from?

Emperor Karl Franz
01-03-2015, 23:20
The left kneepad seems to identify company, but I have no idea which company it may be referring to. Is there anyone who recognizes which company this captain belongs to?

Born Again
02-03-2015, 07:30
It's worth noting that at the time the artwork the model is based on was painted, the various company markings may not have been as well established as they are now (in fact, highly unlikely, as the first proper Blood Angels codex didn't come out until some time later).

AndrewGPaul
02-03-2015, 11:06
That guy was on the cover of 2nd edition 40k. Cunnigly, John Blanche managed to paint that showing only a single other Marine's right shoulder - the dead guy at the bottom right:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-u1Hzlrm-u-U/T0ufpdMFDVI/AAAAAAAAAiw/Q84i5soSyFs/s1600/gd2012-003.jpg

If I were to stretch a point, I'd say that dead Devastator has an artificer pauldron, with a decorated version of the 2nd company's yellow blood drop. I can't find any good photos of the back of the 2nd edition box, but I remember that various ads for either the boxed game or the individual box set of ten plastic Mrines showed them with either the 2nd company's yellow symbol or the 3rd company's white symbol.

Somewhere in the background is Captain Tycho's banner, so he's not Captain of the 3rd. 2nd it is, then! :)

Rogue Star
02-03-2015, 14:26
As others have said, this was before GW published Codex: Angels of Death and established as close to a definite meaning for the Blood Angels iconography. It's also worth noting that in the UK version of the White Dwarf with Warhammer 40,000 Epic was released, which showed Blood Angels in battle against Orks, the artist, John Blanche, said he imagined the central Blood Angel hero was the same one from the 2nd Edition 40K cover, further along in his career.

AndrewGPaul
02-03-2015, 15:19
That'd be this guy:

ViperGold
15-03-2015, 17:30
I've still got a copy of the angels of death kicking about somewhere. If I can dig it out I'll see if it sheds any light, though as it was published after it might not relate.

Tygre
16-03-2015, 05:06
I'd say he is a veteran sergeant.

Black Shoulder Pads, used to in 2nd, indicates a sergeant. It should have red trim, but it predates the codex.

The Skull on his knee indicates 1st Squad. So likely a Tactical Squad.

Angels of Death codex doesn't have any knee markings for the other leg. So I guess it might mean company markings. That diagonal stripe normally means third company.

Altogether he would be the 1st Sergeant, 1st Squad, 3rd Company, Blood Angels Chapter. So basically Tychoes 2nd in charge. I wonder if it is Battle Captain Machiavi (before promotion).

Leftenant Gashrog
21-03-2015, 03:49
I'd say he is a veteran sergeant.

Black Shoulder Pads, used to in 2nd, indicates a sergeant. It should have red trim, but it predates the codex.

The Skull on his knee indicates 1st Squad. So likely a Tactical Squad.

Angels of Death codex doesn't have any knee markings for the other leg. So I guess it might mean company markings. That diagonal stripe normally means third company.

Altogether he would be the 1st Sergeant, 1st Squad, 3rd Company, Blood Angels Chapter. So basically Tychoes 2nd in charge. I wonder if it is Battle Captain Machiavi (before promotion).

I believe you've almost nailed it, with a notable error: He doesn't have black pads, he has yellow, which according to White Dwarf 143 was the marking for Blood Angel *Lieutenants* (the cover of the 2e Wargear book - which was previously the cover of WD143 - was a painting of the late 1st edition studio Blood Angel army, the passenger in the Land Speeder was the company Lieutenant)

Emperor Karl Franz
21-03-2015, 09:50
Nah, he's a Captain. He's specifically labeled as a Captain.

Leftenant Gashrog
21-03-2015, 13:08
He's labelled as a Captain because by the time the mini was produced Lieutenants had been removed from the game so long ago even the design studio might not even have remembered they'd once existed. (Although that said the 1991 Limited Edition Gamesday Captain had a Death-Eagle shoulderpad, which according to the then rulebook was the rank emblem for a Chapter Master..) But when the original art was painted it would seem he would have been the 3rd company Lieutenant. Lieutenants were dropped with the 2nd edition game release, prior to that a Lieutenant was mandatory in all marine armies whilst a Captain was optional, which might explain why he's centre stage whilst Tycho is relegated to hiding behind a sergeant.

That guy was on the cover of 2nd edition 40k. Cunnigly, John Blanche managed to paint that showing only a single other Marine's right shoulder - the dead guy at the bottom right:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-u1Hzlrm-u-U/T0ufpdMFDVI/AAAAAAAAAiw/Q84i5soSyFs/s1600/gd2012-003.jpg

Look at the 'Captain' then move your eye right: first there are two tactical boltgunners without visible pads, then there's a sergeant and tactical flamer guy (with a yellow Imperialis on his left leg the same as on the dead devastators shoulderpad) both with very large white 3rd company blood drops visible on their pads.

Bloodknight
21-03-2015, 23:07
Somebody did not log out.

AndrewGPaul
23-03-2015, 14:58
Where was the heraldry for a Company Lieutenant specified? The Space Marine Painting Guide (as included with the Space Marine Paint Set) only listed heraldry for Captains and Lieutenant Commanders (ie the 2ic for the whole Chapter):
http://belloflostsouls.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/DSC05972.jpg

Lieutenants simply displayed the same markings as a regular Marine:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_e2X0ZP5Mwjs/TP8T9jzy18I/AAAAAAAAD4c/h2R5VAqO93Q/s1600/DSC05971.JPG

At one point, wasn't the entry in Codex: Space Marines for a "Space Marine Commander (thus leaving room for you to field a Lieutenant if you want to) rather than a Captain? Or am I getting confused with Epic Armageddon?

Leftenant Gashrog
23-03-2015, 21:43
White Dwarf 143 page 23, it was the Eavy Metal entry for this model:
http://taran.pagesperso-orange.fr/images/vehicules/landspeeder.jpg

Which was an addition to the studio army from WD139 which was a mix of Mk7's and Beakies, but with the beakies using the Mk7 markings, see blue-helmetted devastators:
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/0/0d/Wargear_2nd_Ed.jpg

Lord Damocles
06-04-2015, 08:55
It's also worth noting that in the UK version of the White Dwarf with Warhammer 40,000 Epic was released, which showed Blood Angels in battle against Orks, the artist, John Blanche, said he imagined the central Blood Angel hero was the same one from the 2nd Edition 40K cover, further along in his career.
Actually, he said the exact opposite:

'Once again the Blood Angels were chosen because they would link into the Warhammer 40,000 cover. I asked John if the main character was the
same as the hero on the front of the Warhammer 40,000 box. 'Hmm, I did consider this, but decided that seeing as both Games Workshop, and myself as an artist, are always developing it would be something of a retrograde step. Since Warhammer 40,000 was released, the Angels of Death Codex has developed the image of the Blood Angels so much... still, I suppose he could be the same warrior, but after he's seen a lot more combat'.
'Art Attack' in White Dwarf 208 (UK), pg.75

So it might be the same figure, but that wasn't the intention.

Lord Damocles
12-04-2015, 19:13
By the by, White Dwarf 174 (UK) featured an article (taken from the Citadel MIniatures Modelling Guide) which included instructions on how to convert a model to match the Blood Angel character from the box art, and explicity describes him as a Captain.

Mage
13-04-2015, 02:05
Why that Captain is from a company called Games workshop...

*Ducks for cover*