PDA

View Full Version : 3000pt "take-all-comers" Slaanesh Legion of Chaos army, for critique

Fazhak
02-03-2015, 22:10
Hey all,

Similar to my recently posted Tzeentch list (available, as of this post, here: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?406109-3000pt-quot-take-all-comers-quot-Tzeentch-Legion-of-Chaos-army-for-critique), I'm working to transition to joint Chaos gameplay. In light of the potential for such to become the norm in 9th edition, I've decided to try out the combined forces of Chaos and see what works, what doesn't, and (most importantly) what's fun.

The Tzeentch list seems to be strong, thus far, but I wanted to give Slaanesh a try. Fortunately, the following appears particularly and rather surprisingly resilient... in ways that remind me of characteristics I love in my original Beastmen. What I mean by this is not necessarily any specific mechanics. Rather, what I've routinely enjoyed in playing Beastmen over the years was the consistent and simple elegance of having an army that was not dependent on "combo" tricks or flashy units, but utilized instead brutally raw, direct, and highly maneuverable force. Strangely, while I enjoy the buffing strength of the Tzeentch list, this Slaanesh list seems potentially very consistent, straightforward, and fun.

Like the Tzeentch list, I've gone a bit "fluff" here, as I decided that if I am must play a joint Chaos army, it will at least be one that is fun. As such, I went mono-themed and this time dedicated the army to Slaanesh. I'm debating which of those two I'll most likely stick with going into 9th edition (I enjoy magic too much to play Khorne, while Nurgle has enough support at this time).

Given the decision to play mono-Slaanesh, I understand that I'm willfully choosing to not avail myself of strong options like the Beasts of Nurgle, the Skullcannons of Khorne, etc. However, I'm hopeful that the army is still feasible against a variety of opponents, as it is quite quick to the fight and very resilient. While there are some similarities to the Tzeentch list (for instance, both have two large "centerpiece" blocks of infantry), there are considerable differences to how the lists handle themselves, how support mechanisms are developed and used, and how the two lists ultimately "feel" when deployed in the game.

This is my first army list with a named character. I usually avoid such, but I find Sigvald the Magnificent to be such an interesting concept. Further, he allows me to have two solid blocks of Stubborn infantry that test on a Leadership 11. While I foresee that one time I roll "box cars" for Sigvald's Stupidity to be infuriating (and, as he only has Regeneration, certainly his lack of a genuine ward save is disconcerting), the benefits of Sigvald seem to presently outweigh the negatives. Furthermore, thematically, he's just fun. With that degree of Stubbornness, combined with being Panic-free, I like the notion that mechanically this is an army whose arrogance ensures that in defeat it must die to the very last man.

The Beastmen characters go in the Bestigor Herd unit, while Sigvald and my Exalted Hero BSB go in the unit of Chaos Warriors. With their respective unit items and powers, this setup allows me two thirty-five man blocks of infantry that both have Movement 5, Stubborn on Leadership 11 (given Sigvald's Inspiring Presence), a combat capable Champion, and horde S5+ attacks.

Thanks to its banner, the Bestigor Herd, when "properly" buffed, ignores up to a 2+ armor save. Combined with Stubborn, I try to place it opposing any oncoming cavalry. With their halberds and similar magic buffs, the Chaos Warriors can grind out most things. Both blocks start with Toughness 4, so they are surprisingly robust defenders.

Given their Stubborn nature, I usually deploy both blocks as hordes. However, depending on the opponent, I can either rank both blocks as hordes or in ranks of seven across and five deep (prior to characters). This does mean that I have two blocks of infantry worth over one thousand points each. I am aware of the danger of Pit of Shades, Purple Sun, etc. However, such seems to be an almost inescapable danger every ranked army faces; it appears to me as a condition of the environment. With a level four Wizard available for dispelling, I've thus far seen little need to discredit ranked infantry blocks out-of-hand. Indeed, years of playing Beastmen have made me rather partial to the same.

The Seekers of Slaanesh benefit from their Herald's locus, which allows them to automatically pass Dangerous Terrain, Look Out Sir!, and non-Leadership characteristic tests. Combined with their Fast Cavalry trait (which grants Vanguard) and Movement 10, the Seekers have extraordinary access to the entire battlefield. This unit can therefore either hunt down monsters for me, quickly take to my opponent's deployment zone, or put early pressure on opposing units' flanks. The locus is also why I chose to use Seekers over Hellstriders, along with the Daemons' ward saves and option to take the Banner of Eternal Flames. The locus also protects my Seekers from a variety of magical threats, since the unit automatically succeeds at its non-Leadership characteristic tests. This is especially helpful, as the speed of the Seekers can attract attention away from my blocks of infantry and onto the cavalry itself. Nonetheless, between the locus, ward saves, and smart placement (for instance, using cover), the Seekers seem to have a strong chance for consistent survival.

The Herald's level of Lore of Slaanesh is also helpful for hexing opposing units (granting them Always Strike Last, so that they strike simultaneously with my Bestigor Herd). More often, though, the choice is to give Frenzy to my Seekers. The Frenzied cavalry unit's Flaming Attacks seem to allow it to make quick work of most regenerating monsters and smaller monstrous infantry units.

More broadly, magic is used primarily to buff each unit. Unlike the Tzeentch list, this list cannot be quite as cavalier with its spell selection, as it likely has fewer power dice and only one level four Wizard. However, I still find that buff spells are nonetheless often allowed to pass without dispel, as the opponent is more concerned about massive damage spells. This allows me to charge by turn two with units that either have T5 (Bestigor Herd and Chaos Warriors), Frenzy (as many units as possible), or truly impressive characters (via the Pann's Impenetrable Pelt and Savage Beast of Horros spells).

Two units of scouting Harpies clear up most war machines for me, while the "missile" solo Razorgor Herds guard my flanks and later help combat my opponent's infantry spellcasters. The Seekers of Slaanesh either also head to my opponent's deployment zone, or position for an early flank charge, using the Lore of Slaanesh to grant Random Movement or a few casualties to a particularly nasty opposing force. The Ungor Raiders guard the flanks of my infantry blocks, which press forward to claim the center.

The Mark of Slaanesh ensures my infantry blocks don't Panic or fall to Fear and Terror, while being Stubborn on Leadership 11 usually means my opponent must kill my forces to the man. Given two hordes of thirty-five each, both with respectable Strength and Toughness, this seems to play to my favor, especially if both are buffed by magic and should the Seekers and Razorgor Herds maneuver to support from the flanks.

I look forward to your constructive feedback. Here's the list:

LORDS
Sigvald the Magnificent

Great Bray-Shaman
* Mark of Slaanesh
* Level 4 Wizard w/ Lore of Beasts
* Magic Weapon: Warrior Bane
* Talisman: Talisman of Endurance
* Arcane Item: Jagged Dagger
* Enchanted Item: Crown of Command

HEROES
Exalted Hero
* Mark of Slaanesh
* Battle Standard Bearer
* Magic Standard: Banner of Swiftness
* Chaos Mutations & Powers: Scaled Skin
* Shield

Wargor
* Mark of Slaanesh
* Magic Armor: Armor of Destiny
* Great Weapon
* Shield

Herald of Slaanesh
* Level 1 Wizard w/ Lore of Slaanesh
* Mount: Steed of Slaanesh
* Locus: Lesser Locus of Grace

SPECIAL
Bestigor Herd x 35
* Mark of Slaanesh
* Full Command
* Magic Standard: Razor Standard

Razorgor Herd x 1

Razorgor Herd x 1

Harpies x 5
* Scouts

Harpies x 5
* Scouts

Seekers of Slaanesh x 12
* Full Command
* Magic Standard: Banner of Eternal Flame

CORE
Chaos Warriors x 35
* Mark of Slaanesh
* Full Command
* Magic Standard: Banner of Swiftness
* Halberds

Ungor Raiders x 5
* Mark of Slaanesh
* Musician

Ungor Raiders x 5
* Mark of Slaanesh
* Musician

As before, I certainly look forward to your feedback, thoughts, and conversation! :)