PDA

View Full Version : 2000 pts Empire anti-Skaven lists - comments and critique needed

Noble Korhedron
04-03-2015, 20:23
Hi all!! I have attached three Empire anti-Skaven lists of various builds. I wanted to get second opinions on them. To clarify things, I know for a fact I will be facing Skaven, so please don't start going on about the lists needing to be all-comers. They are hopefully not completely WAAC but I would like to think they have a decent chance of winning against anything a Skaven player can put on the field at 2000 pts.

If you feel there is not, feel free to point this out, and I will go and look at my other available models for alternative units and/or war machines. I can also simply post the text of the attached lists directly into the thread, if enough people request it. For now, I would like to leave them as attachments; since they're only .doc files this shouldn't be too much of a problem. :)

Line of Hurin
05-03-2015, 16:21
Ok, I read through all of your lists, and after having a minor epileptic spazam at the useless wargear and units I shall say that yours lists are easily friendly/semi competitive and with dropping some useless choices can be more effective and still not WAAC.

I want to say secondly that the third list is the best, so take the third list "Lutx's Landwehr" and first off on the wizard, running lore of beasts isn't bad, but there are better lores like life to give you dwellers (skavin have low S on their busses), flesh to stone will help you survive their S3 attacks because your armor is lolz, and lastly regrow helps a lot (throne/earths blood/shield of thorns are OK/good spells without a doubt as well). Also lore of metal could be a good idea, 5+ scaly skin on light armor is nice, along with +1 to hit and final trans (though dwellers does this better).

Next on the heroes your captian is OK, but I would drop the sword of might as your S4 is already wounding on 3s and their armor is just as bad as your core's.
Opal ammy on your engineer is a waste, keep him plain.
Witch hunter doesn't need a gw when he has duel pistols, also potion of toughness is a waste for him, life magic is cheaper/better/works more then once, I like to take him with duel pistols and wolf cloak.

For core I would drop handgunners for more crossbowmen, the AP doesn't do anything to skaven, while the extra range can do a lot.

and everything else is fine, though for the pistoliers a marksmen with repeater pistol is fun.

So keeps the list almost exactly the same model wise, and I think you will get more out of it.

Good luck and have fun!

Noble Korhedron
05-03-2015, 17:56
Ok, I read through all of your lists, and after having a minor epileptic spazam at the useless wargear and units I shall say that yours lists are easily friendly/semi competitive and with dropping some useless choices can be more effective and still not WAAC.

I want to say secondly that the third list is the best, so take the third list "Lutx's Landwehr" and first off on the wizard, running lore of beasts isn't bad, but there are better lores like life to give you dwellers (skavin have low S on their busses), flesh to stone will help you survive their S3 attacks because your armor is lolz, and lastly regrow helps a lot (throne/earths blood/shield of thorns are OK/good spells without a doubt as well). Also lore of metal could be a good idea, 5+ scaly skin on light armor is nice, along with +1 to hit and final trans (though dwellers does this better).

Next on the heroes your captain is OK, but I would drop the sword of might as your S4 is already wounding on 3s and their armor is just as bad as your core's.
Opal ammy on your engineer is a waste, keep him plain.
Witch hunter doesn't need a gw when he has duel pistols, also potion of toughness is a waste for him, life magic is cheaper/better/works more then once, I like to take him with duel pistols and wolf cloak.

For core I would drop handgunners for more crossbowmen, the AP doesn't do anything to skaven, while the extra range can do a lot.

and everything else is fine, though for the pistoliers a marksmen with repeater pistol is fun.

So keeps the list almost exactly the same model wise, and I think you will get more out of it.

Good luck and have fun!Excellent! Thanks, I'll take your views under advisement! I would certainly be willing to dump the GW from the Witch Hunter, but I'd rather keep the OA on the Engineer, just in case somebody manages to sneak a hit through the "Stand back, Sir!" special rule; otherwise next thing you know my Engineer is dead and I have two artillery pieces who could very well blow up on the next artillery dice roll!

Noble Korhedron
08-03-2015, 00:24
O.K, I've edited the Lutz's Landwehr list, to delete the Potion of Toughness and change the WH to only have a brace of pistols. Is there any point in trying to fit in some Huntsmen - perhaps as march-blockers/redirectors?

Line of Hurin
10-03-2015, 16:10
Huntsmen are pointles, which is a shame because their fluff is cool. The standard empire archers are good enough at 7pts.

AkalaSpeaksFact
10-03-2015, 17:30
List tailoring... A shameful display!

"I am the power of death incarnate. I am the swords edge; I hungrily cut the flesh and drink deep of the bloody well beneath. Give me your body, and I promise you glory, I promise you vengeance and I promise you immortality - if you will only let me..."

-Antwyr, the sword god

Noble Korhedron
10-03-2015, 17:53
List tailoring... A shameful display!

"I am the power of death incarnate. I am the swords edge; I hungrily cut the flesh and drink deep of the bloody well beneath. Give me your body, and I promise you glory, I promise you vengeance and I promise you immortality - if you will only let me..."

-Antwyr, the sword godThe player I'll be fighting KNOWS I'm tailoring; I tried to not make it too WAAC, but to have a good chance regardless.

Chickenbane
12-03-2015, 11:19
I'd be inclined to go with the third list too. Fire magic is ok, but I'd go for Metal as Searing doom can deal well with any doomwheels knocking around and Final transmutation going off in the centre of the army can really cripple them.

Noble Korhedron
12-03-2015, 11:24
I'd be inclined to go with the third list too. Fire magic is ok, but I'd go for Metal as Searing doom can deal well with any doomwheels knocking around and Final transmutation going off in the centre of the army can really cripple them.Thanks for the tip. I woudn't have thought of Skaven as good targets for metal; I would've thought it would be better against heavily armoured troops like Dwarfs and Chaos....

Chickenbane
12-03-2015, 13:31
It can be argued that final transformation is the best spell in the game. Ok a 5+ to kill but the 12" bubble of stupidity can really do damage as well. Not much use against Abombs but thats what the cannons are for! ;)

Noble Korhedron
12-03-2015, 13:38
It can be argued that final transformation is the best spell in the game. Ok a 5+ to kill but the 12" bubble of stupidity can really do damage as well. Not much use against Abombs but thats what the cannons are for! ;)I don't have the rulebook memorised as well as some of you, so I didn't realise. That DOES sound useful!! :evilgrin: :evilgrin:

Chickenbane
12-03-2015, 23:13
Not memorised, just had a guy at a tournament extol the virtues of Final Transmutation to me. :D