PDA

View Full Version : Looking for last stand type stories with daemons.

Getifa Ubazza
05-03-2015, 16:45
Simple question I guess, but there is more to it than the title implies.

I am building a very large Daemon army and want to get a small army to do a last stand type game against them.

I originally wanted to do Grey Knights, but wondered if there were any stories in the fluff of last stands against daemons by anyone at all?

This can be in BL books, Codex books or even Fan fiction. I would prefer stories where the defenders put up a brave fight and either all die in the end or have to be rescued by another force.

If the story does a breakdown of the defending force, all the better. I already have Orks, so can already do the battle where the Orks fight, get killed, then return the next day to fight all over again. That will be fun, but isn't technically a last stand.

So, can you help me with this please?

Thanks

Saunders
05-03-2015, 17:49
There's a notable engagement between Craftworld Iyanden and Daemons of Tzeentch in the Iyanden supplement, complete with scenario.

The Cleansing of Menimshemash

"The exodite world known to the Eldar as Menimshemash has been befouled and besmirched by the daemonic legions of the Chaos God Tzeentch. Using devious stratagems and cunningly evil plans, the Great Deciever's forces have all but overrun the once fair planet, and now only a small enclave of Eldar Exodites survive. The only hope for the survivors, and their planet, is to cleanse its world spirit of the corruption it has suffered, so that the Daemons can be hurled back to the Warp from which they came. Answering the Exodites' call for help, Craftworld Iyanden sends forth its Spiritseers and Bonesingers, who alone have the ability to purify the world spirit by performing an intricate psychic ceremony. Desperate to stop the Eldar from saving Menimshemash, Tzeentch hurls his daemonic hosts forward in a desperate all-out attack. If the Daemons can break through the Eldar's defences and disrupt the ceremony, the planet will fall to Tzeentch and become his for all time."

The only thing that might restrict your daemons in the scenario is that it requires the daemons player to have at least 2/3 of their units have the Daemons of Tzeentch rule. Otherwise, it's a fairly entertaining mission and an example of the kind of fight you are looking for.

There's also a part in the BL novel Path of the Outcast (Path of the Eldar omnibus, most recently) where a band of Eldar rangers, corsairs, and harlequins travel to a Croneworld within the Eye of Terror to harvest new spirit stones. Not necessarily a last stand per-say, but they do have to escape from a horde of Slaaneshi daemons and a Keeper of Secrets.

That's all I've got off the top of my head, my focus is mainly in Eldar. I'll add anything else as it comes to mind.

totgeboren
05-03-2015, 21:09
Wasn't the Dark Eldar city Shaadom/(Sodom) overrun by daemons?

Saunders
05-03-2015, 21:37
More like, Asdrubael Vect tore a hole in the realm sent an imperial warship crashing in through, exploding on Shaadom's ruling palace.

IIRC its ruler had made pacts with Daemons and they now infest the ruins, but I don't recall legions invading the sub-realm.

Getifa Ubazza
05-03-2015, 21:45
More like, Asdrubael Vect tore a hole in the realm sent an imperial warship crashing in through, exploding on Shaadom's ruling palace.

IIRC its ruler had made pacts with Daemons and they now infest the ruins, but I don't recall legions invading the sub-realm.

It is infested with daemons though, so could be an excuse to have some DE and or Harlies going in there to find some artifact, only to find themselves trapped and unable to escape. ;-)

Sandlemad
06-03-2015, 08:37
Have a look at Legion of the Damned. An ecclesiarchy cemetery world, Certus Minor, is besieged by a khornate horde of mutants, chaos marines and daemons. It is defended by the sisters of battle and a small force of marines from the Excoriators chapter. The legion of the damned also show up.

Born Again
06-03-2015, 09:45
It is infested with daemons though, so could be an excuse to have some DE and or Harlies going in there to find some artifact, only to find themselves trapped and unable to escape. ;-)

If you like that idea, you may want to read the novel Path of the Renegade.

Have a look at Legion of the Damned. An ecclesiarchy cemetery world, Certus Minor, is besieged by a khornate horde of mutants, chaos marines and daemons. It is defended by the sisters of battle and a small force of marines from the Excoriators chapter. The legion of the damned also show up.

Also recommended reading, I thought the depiction of the Legion was excellent.

Getifa Ubazza
06-03-2015, 12:55

If you like that idea, you may want to read the novel Path of the Renegade.

Also recommended reading, I thought the depiction of the Legion was excellent.

That is exactly the kind of stories I'm looking for. Where a few different groups have to pull together to escape an impossible situation.

Awesome guys. Some great reading material here.