PDA

View Full Version : 2000pt Undead Legion Getting back into warhammer

Techno
06-03-2015, 18:48
Lord

Tomb King, Destroyer of Eternities, Light armour, Enchanted shield, Dragon Born Gem; 260 points

Hero

Tomb Prince, Dragon helm, Light armour, Shield; 112 points

Tomb Prince, Gamblers armour, Shield; 122 points

Necromancer, Level 2, Master of Dead; 120 points

Core

30 Skeleton Warriors, Full Command, 6 wide 5 deep; 180 points

20 Skeleton Archers, 10 wide 2 deep; 120 points

Special

30 Grave Guard, Full Command, 6 wide 5 deep; 360 points

4 Carrions; 96 points

Rare

Terrorghiest, Rancid Maw; 240 points

Screaming Skull Catapult; 90 points

Total

2000 points

So the plan is to have the Tomb Princes in the Skeleton Warrior units to greatly increase there combat survivability. The Grave Guard will be between the Skeleton Warriors and will have the Tomb King (General). The 2 Necromancers will hide behind the Grave Guard and keep there number up. The Terrorghiest will engage when there is a opportunity and the shooty units will do there thing.

Any suggestions?

PirateRobotNinjaofDeath
06-03-2015, 20:06
Interesting strategy. Use the level 2s to grow the skeleton units in size, then anvil with the skeletons and punch with the GG.

A weak point of the list though is the two level 2s instead of a single level 4. The way magic works in 8th you'll be at a big disadvantage with -2 to cast and dispel compared to your opponent, who will invariably be running a level 4 (or, in end times, a level 5).

Another weak point is for getting matchups. You're only M4 army wide, meaning that most faster armies (especially the nasty End Times stuff) is going to be engaging you on their terms. Without chaff you don't really have anything to handle that, and your carrion are a little expensive to be disposable. You have access to dire wolves with UL, which are some of the best core chaff in the game.

You're also 20 points short on minimum core. 25% of your army must be core, or 500 for a 2,000 point list. I have you at 480.

Finally the princes. I see what you're trying to do with them, making those skeleton blocks more durable. But know what else makes them more durable? Making them bigger. I run two units of 40 and I rarely lose them, and when I do it holds things up for enough turns that it barely matters.

But the princes are costing you 242 points between the pair. That's another terrorgheist. It's a casket and another catapult. It's a level 4 master necromancer. It's a warsphinx. Is WS5 on the skeletons really worth giving up those options? Not particularly.

Finally, take rancid maw off the terrorgheist. He doesn't want to be in combat. The terrorgheist can scream into combats, including those he's not a part of, so is far better to be cagey with in a list like this then scream at stuff once it gets stuck in with your skeletons.

Finally, ethereal. Drop those carrion and get two solo spirit hosts. You'll thank yourself. Carrion are garbage. Spirit hosts are worth their weight in gold. If you want something to warmachine hunt then get a 4-pack of vargheists, as they'll be FAR more effective since they can march on their own and have more wounds and more attacks. 4+champ is 186 points, double your carrion but at least 3 times more effective.

kikibobo
06-03-2015, 20:16
Lord

Tomb King, Destroyer of Eternities, Light armour, Enchanted shield, Dragon Born Gem; 260 points

Hero

Tomb Prince, Dragon helm, Light armour, Shield; 112 points

Tomb Prince, Gamblers armour, Shield; 122 points

Core

20 Skeleton Archers, 10 wide 2 deep; 120 points

Special

30 Grave Guard, Full Command, 6 wide 5 deep; 360 points

4 Carrions; 96 points

Rare

Terrorghiest, Rancid Maw; 240 points

Screaming Skull Catapult; 90 points

Total

2000 points

So the plan is to have the Tomb Princes in the Skeleton Warrior units to greatly increase there combat survivability. The Grave Guard will be between the Skeleton Warriors and will have the Tomb King (General). The 2 Necromancers will hide behind the Grave Guard and keep there number up. The Terrorghiest will engage when there is a opportunity and the shooty units will do there thing.

Any suggestions?

Welcome back to WHFB!

So just a few points for you. I'm new to undead legions myself, but I wanted to send you some words of advice I have found.

1. Master of the dead can only be taken on one necro, so you will have to drop that on one of them. Also, I tend to find it underwhelming

2. Ideally, you will want a scroll caddy at 2k, so I would probably switch one to a lvl 1 with a dispell scroll and find a way to get the other closer to lvl 4. If you dont want too much magic, at least switch it up and get one of the level 2's to a level 3. Having that bonus 1-2 to cast and dispell can help win magic phases

3. I have been wanting to do 2xtomb prince with skelies build, and I like what you are doing by throwing a third in with grave guard.

4. Your numbers on units are a little lacking. 30 skelies will not last long and master of the dead will not bring as much back past 30 as you might hope. I would push for 40-50 in each of those groups.

5. The same applies for grave guard. The advice I have received, and agree with, go 7 wide if GW and 5 wide if S+B. As you already have two blocks to act as your anvil, I would go with GW to make a nice hammer with that tomb king. Getting a banner of barrows in with them makes them impressive hammers that hit on 2's most of the time and wound on 2's most of the time. The problem is that they are GW wielding semi-glass cannons (albeit a decent T and 5+ armor save with the ability to rez). For that reason, you want 35-40 of them if you are going to take them. They will fold too quickly otherwise

6. I love direwolves for redirecting and to harass ranged groups/warmachines. I dont know if that was what you were intending with the carrions, but you could swap them out for 2x5 dire wolves and still have 16 pts to spare to help aid you in some of teh other areas I mentioned. Alternatively, spirit hosts are awesome and could work to tie up some stuff

Techno
07-03-2015, 19:41
Thanks for the advice. Got to go to work.