PDA

View Full Version : forge world warhound: what weapns combo?

zendral
30-06-2006, 06:42
Sup all, i am preparing to purchase a warhound titan from forge world and i was wondering what the best weapon combo would be? i dont have the book yet, but army builder give a bit of the stats.....however some of the weapons have special rules and im a bit confused on some of them.

this is what army builder says:
vulcan mega-bolter: R12"-36" S6 AP4 Heavy 10, barrage rending

plasma blast gun: R12"-54" S8 AP2 Ordinance 1 blast titan killer (Additional rules)

inferno gun: R12"-46" S7 AP3 Heavy 3 blast no cover saves (Additional rules)

Double-barrelled turbo laser: R12"-72" S9 AP2 Heavy 2 blast

i would like to know what those additional rulz are,and how the vulcan gun can be barrage and what is the best weapon combo...i was thinkin plasma blast and vulcan bolter, thanxs

Axel
30-06-2006, 06:51
These rules are outdated by IA3. From first glance, the inferno gun is now "massive blast" (7") instead of heavy3. They have the actual rules in some of their IA updates, too. I advise you to pay the additional bucks for these rules, IA3 if you can afford them - you need them for any curious opponent anyway.

Personally I would have preferred the plasma / inferno combination, but using a Mars pattern there was no choice but to use plasma / mega bolter. At least the mega bolter looks better then the inferno cannon (imho), but a titan is too expensive to just sport a better blaster...

zendral
30-06-2006, 06:55
so all the rulz to use a chaos titan(including guns) should be in imperial update 2005 correct? cuz it says chaos warhound and super heavy vehicle rulz

Chaos and Evil
30-06-2006, 08:01
Zendral: Please don't type like an ADD child.

All the latest rules are in IA:2005, except the Inferno gun's stats in that have been misprinted.

It's listed as S7 AP3 when it should actually be S6 AP4, as it is printed in IA:volume 3.

Sorry, no AP3 7" templates for you!

Other weapons have also changed in IA:Update from your listing, for example
the Mega Bolter is not Barrage Rending, just Rending.

Basically, I recomend that you pick up IA:Update 2005, it's only 12 pounds and as long as you remember that the Inferno gun's stats have been misprinted, it's the cheapest way to get your mitts on the Warhound's rules.

starlight
30-06-2006, 08:04
Personally, mine will have the standard Mars loadout - VMB/PBG.:evilgrin:

Thylacine
30-06-2006, 08:57
zendral and others.

Hi, I have two warhounds (Armorcast) and between them have all the weapon combinations covered.

#1 the Keegan has a Plasma Blast-gun and Vulcan Mega-bolter good for troops, trops in buildings and vehicles. #2 the Dubh Madadh has the Inferno cannon and Plasma blast-gun, the two template weapons are just great for swarm armies and if your coming up against Tau or Necrons with their long lines of troops the template weapons are the way to go. Remember the Inferno Gun has the largest template in the game and you can often catch a number of squads rather than troops under it. Cause a wound to any squad and you can force it to roll leadership and if it fails the roll the squad/creature must fall back even things that are fearless have to move. If you come up against lots of Tau on the back edge of the table one or two wounding hist soon thins out the squads.

Thylacine:chrome:

Scythe
30-06-2006, 09:00
Personally I would have preferred the plasma / inferno combination, but using a Mars pattern there was no choice but to use plasma / mega bolter. At least the mega bolter looks better then the inferno cannon (imho), but a titan is too expensive to just sport a better blaster...

I agree. Plasma/inferno is probably the best combination. It is the best anti-infantry firepower you can get. The turbolaser is just an expensive lascannon for me (not worth it imho, blast is not that usefull anyway), while the vulcan bolter shots don't stand up against a 7" template.

Chaos and Evil
30-06-2006, 10:10
Remember the Inferno Gun has the largest template in the game and you can often catch a number of squads rather than troops under it. Cause a wound to any squad and you can force it to roll leadership and if it fails the roll the squad/creature must fall back even things that are fearless have to move. If you come up against lots of Tau on the back edge of the table one or two wounding hist soon thins out the squads.

Thylacine:chrome:

That rule has changed, now, if you cause a casualty, the unit automatically falls back, no leadership check required!

The unit doesn't become broken, but still, automatic fallback is good. :D

froo
30-06-2006, 10:18
yep, these are great.

Its a pity I cant loot the special shells on the griffon or I'd be using it to force fall backs :)

neko
30-06-2006, 10:53
I'm tempted by the Vulcan/Inferno combination to be honest. Then again, if I ever did go for a Warhound, I'd probably scratchbuild it, so I could make extra weapons anyway.

Cypher
01-07-2006, 13:39
I've got the plasma/lascannon combo, although by the current rules the other outfit is better. Personally Id favour the vulcan/plasma as my preferred combination (12 shot rending is nothing to sneeze at).

Scythe
01-07-2006, 20:52
The bolter is 10 shots only. Not bad, but essentially only slightly better as a terminator squad and worse as a full squadron of tornados. I'd rather have the big bad ass 7" template which the inferno gun gets.

Chaos and Evil
01-07-2006, 20:55
Personally I'd take at least one Inferno gun, and then a personal preference weapon for the second mount... maybe a Plasma blast gun.

Axel
02-07-2006, 00:01
Definitely Plasma as the second. It has the "Titan Killer" ability, which will instant-kill each multi-wound monster, and can be used against armored targets.

starlight
02-07-2006, 00:19
Exactly.:evilgrin:

The Mars has the best general loadout. If you know your opponent, by all means, but if not......

Chaos and Evil
02-07-2006, 00:37
Ah yes, Titan-Killing a Carnifex is a good idea :)

Mr Evil
02-07-2006, 01:19
If I ever buy one, its going to be 2x Inferno Cannon or Inferno/Plasma. 2 7" templates a turn that ignore cover saves, hitting everything it touches like flamers, knocking back enemy units and never really missing is increadibly deadly to anything with a 4+ save, and rather scary to power-armoured foes.

starlight
02-07-2006, 01:21
Except for the range, which is why I wouldn't take two. Take the PBG.:evilgrin:

Scythe
02-07-2006, 14:23
Definitely Plasma as the second. It has the "Titan Killer" ability, which will instant-kill each multi-wound monster, and can be used against armored targets.

Well, that's a house rule, so I'd make sure everyone plays knowing that.

But it is a rather decent rule. I prefer titan killing weapons to do D3 wounds or something instead (gets past things like Adimantine mantels, Daemonic runes or tyranid synapse; eg things that ignore instant dead).

Axel
02-07-2006, 16:53
Well, that's a house rule, so I'd make sure everyone plays knowing that.
But it is a rather decent rule. I prefer titan killing weapons to do D3 wounds or something instead (gets past things like Adimantine mantels, Daemonic runes or tyranid synapse; eg things that ignore instant dead).

I would use D6 if I made the rule. Titan Killers should a bit more damage on living beings then on Titans, but I agree that the "instant kill" is a bit stiff. However, they are recommended rules by the staff that created the super heavy rules - which are houserules to some degree, too. It certainly helps to clear up that particular aspect before you field the Titan. If I ever manage to actually build and paint my Mars patter Titan I will try to make the weapons removeable, even when there are currently no swap-options. Just in case that FW sees the light and offers us the odd seperate weapon.

Scythe
02-07-2006, 18:28
Yeah, D6 is probably better. Can't see that many people argue it either. A Volcano cannon should be able to kill a carnifex with a single shot (mind, this is comming from a Tyranid player).

That aside, Titan killer weapons also kind of suffer against normal vehicles... I mean, they roll on the same damage tables as every other weapon (just once), so even if they penetrate, they only destroy a tank 50% of the time...

Colonel_Kreitz
03-07-2006, 04:47
Thanks to rending, the Vulcan Mega Bolter appears to be utterly terrifying, though I've never seen on in action. That's what I'd go for, nonetheless.

Thylacine
04-07-2006, 03:43
All.

The thing with titans is the appaling lack of good rules for them and their weapons. The "Titan Killer" rule is just a house rule and I have had it knocked back on several occasions, I just had to accept my opponents decision as I wanted to use a titan in the game (had to as I did not have the points otherwise).

The 'Turbo Laser Destroyer' should be S10 AP 1 for the ammount of points it costs and as for costs the Warhound is way over priced. It is big but it is not worth the cost.

The Warhound is a 'scout' vehicle with no scouting abilities, why? It should be able to see better at night, why can't it have a dark shield (?) like the DE vehicles, why can't it send forward servo skulls and acquire target information like the Tau target marker drones (?) or is that marker lights?

FW/GW have seriously let down the people who have invested in a Titan only to have it supported by poor rules.

Scythe
04-07-2006, 08:57
Most of the forgeworld rules aren't that spectacular. Most vehicles are overpriced. I personally don't mind that much. I use forgeworld models because I like the models, not because I want to win so badly.