PDA

View Full Version : 2500 Daemons of Chaos

Groza
17-03-2015, 21:33
So I am mainly a WoC player but yesterday I was thinking I have gathered so many daemons I can probably create a working armylist with the 50% lords.
I'd like to know if this list can function, I am a bit worried cause I am missing most of the popular daemon units (KoS, plaguebearers, beasts, soulgrinder).

Would like to hear your thoughts (obviously it's not possible to replace any units as these are all the minis I have, in fact I only own 10 bloodletters and will have to proxy the rest). The list comes to exactly 2500pts.

-Lords
Bloodthirster, Greater Gift, Lesser Gift, Lesser Gift

Lord of Change, Level 4, Lesser Gift, Lesser Gift

-Heroes
Herald of Khorne, Exalted Locus of Wrath, BSB

-Core
25 Bloodletters , Musician , Standard Bearer, Bloodreaper

10 Pink Horrors

10 Pink Horrors

-Special
3 Screamers

3 Bloodcrushers, Standard Bearer , Musician , Banner of Eternal Flame

4 Flamers

-Rare
Skullcannon of Khorne

Tato
19-03-2015, 13:58
Unfortunately it is true that BL's are worth less than PB's and scullcrushers are worth less than BoN. Still they are playable, especially if you are a Khorne afficionado (I am :) ). The real downfall in this list however are Screamers and Flamers. Both are crappy in the new AB. Herald is another disputable choice. The units are small and the list is framented, there is liitle synergy beetween units. So, summarising, this list for 2500 pts is far from optimal. You can still play but be prepared to die for your Gods. There is no real tactic to lead this lot to victory. Two greater deamons cannot fight on their own.

thrawn
19-03-2015, 16:06
Give it a shot, i don't think it's as bad as Tato says, but i don't see you winning too many tournaments with that list.

selecta
23-03-2015, 08:13
I would recommend furies instead of Screamers and I would never use flamers in my army I would suggest taking bon or a fiend for speed.

Tato
23-03-2015, 14:02
Problem is OP only has listed above models. So he cannot substitute much. I am much in favor of giving it a shot, just preparing OP not to expect miracles.

Brother Haephestus
23-03-2015, 16:15
Some food for thought:

I am cheap. I don't usually upgrade to a unit champion because I don't feel 10 pts for +1 attack is worth it. When it comes to daemons however, it IS cheaper than buying another daemon, but I'm generally willing to risk it in order to save those points for something else.

Consider adding a banner to the Bloodletters. I am a fan of both Standard of Discipline and Banner of Swiftness, depending on how you play. If your 'Letters are outside of the general's IP, that extra point in LD can be handy. If they will fight with your general, you may want them to move faster.

People will fuss about your Herald, but don't take into consideration that's the ONLY method you have of getting a BSB. While we won't be making many Panic checks (chuckle), you WILL be taking Instability checks. I think this is a good choice. If you have points, look into giving him some Gifts. What you are specifically fishing for is Dark Blessing, but it does make him costly and can be considered throwing more points after bad. Another option would be to take the Herald, put him on a Juggernaut for more survivability, and give him the Rampager's Standard. Throw him in with the 'Crushers. If you have full command on the 'Crushers he stays in the second rank, adding a bit of survivability (the other unit cannot direct attacks at him because no one is in BTB contact!!)

Finally I don't believe you will want Banner of Eternal Flame. Because the Hellblades are magical weapons, Flaming does not stack on them (see page 69 in the big rules book under Flaming Attacks). I believe the Juggernauts will be fine (the rule specifically states magical weapons, not magical attacks) but I wouldn't bother with it unless I knew I was going up against regen. As an alternative and considering what you've added to the 'Letters above, the Wailing Banner, Razor Standard, War Banner, gleaming Pennant and Banner of Swiftness are all possible choices depending upon your meta. Banner of Swiftness tends to be my go-to banner for these guys, but I've also had success with Razor Standard (exceptionally nice synergy with Daemon of Khorne against high-armor troops) and War Banner.

Good luck and enjoy your game.

Groza
23-03-2015, 16:34
Thanks for all the feedback.
@Brother Haephestus: I did think a lot about the banners, my last game was against skaven so that's why I was leaning on the flaming banner. I also considered giving the champion to the flamers instead of the bloodletters. But those are only details and I can push those points around depending on the opponent army. Sadly I can't put the herald with the juggers as I don't have a 3rd jugger model.

Brother Haephestus
23-03-2015, 17:15
Totally understand. The Hellpit Abon's chief weapon is surprise, fear and surprise; two chief weapons, fear, surprise, and ruthless efficien ... whatever. Just burn the sucker!

Here's something I've been pondering too: why take a musician? We don't break in combat (instability check instead) so it's not like I need the bonus to rallying, and while I would prefer to win combat, a tie isn't necessarily a bad thing. I think I might experiment with dropping the musician a few games to see how I feel about that.

Groza
23-03-2015, 19:34
Here's something I've been pondering too: why take a musician? We don't break in combat (instability check instead) so it's not like I need the bonus to rallying, and while I would prefer to win combat, a tie isn't necessarily a bad thing. I think I might experiment with dropping the musician a few games to see how I feel about that.
That's a fine point. I'm just used to years of always taking at least banner-musician for my combat units.
EDIT: Don't musicians help with reforming in 8th? I'm still kinda getting used to it.

Brother Haephestus
23-03-2015, 21:53
You can do a swift reform with a musician, so it does have some usage. Also, not having a musician could lead to your opponent winning the tie, so that's 10 points to keep from having to make an instability check.

I think I am a bit like you - I tend to take full command groups simply because it "seems quite right." I never even considered NOT taking a musician until I was texting that above post, when the thought sort of plummeted from the heavens and smashed me in the head. I'm going to think about it some, and play a few games. Might end up deciding I need that musician after all.