PDA

View Full Version : Karl Franz on horseback or Valten?

Emperor Karl Franz
18-03-2015, 19:04
I'm currently planning a 20-man regiment of Inner Circle Knights to fill up my Core choice and I'd really like them to be led by a character wielding Ghal Maraz. However, I can't decide which, so I thought I'd get some advice from experienced Empire players. What are the pros and cons of using the Emperor Karl Franz on horseback...

...versus Valten, the Herald of Sigmar?

Lord Dan
19-03-2015, 22:17
The fact that the former forces you to purchase the Deathclaw kit? Also the feather on his helmet is ridiculous, even by Warhammer standards.

Sigmar's pose is also way cooler.

But that's just my experienced tactical opinion.

Heirube
25-03-2015, 11:44
I'd go Franz because iirc he's actually cheaper than the End Times Valten and has better saves. He loses Valtens 6" Stubborn but gains 18" Inspiring Presence I believe which, if you're running a big unit of cav will probably be more useful for the slower foot units. Again just going off of memory so forgive me if I'm forgetting/biffing something.

Heirube
25-03-2015, 11:45
The fact that the former forces you to purchase the Deathclaw kit? Also the feather on his helmet is ridiculous, even by Warhammer standards.

Sigmar's pose is also way cooler.

But that's just my experienced tactical opinion.

PS - I would also use the Valten model - this one or the Exalted, hands down. But the Franz rules.

Emperor Karl Franz
25-03-2015, 14:19
Their save is pretty much the same. 2+ Armor Save and 4+ Ward Save, although Karl Franz has the Magic Resistance. But yeah, I guess it depends on if I want someone to beef up the Leadership of my army or if I want a beatstick in a big block of knights. And between Chosen of Sigmar and Iron Resolve, Valten's definitely a beatstick. He already starts with WS 7 base, which is better than Karl Franz. Once per game he can also add D3 to WS, S (Which is pretty much useless, as he has Ghal Maraz), T, and A. So on average, he can boost his stats to WS 9, T 6, and A 6. Six attacks with Ghal Maraz at WS 9 isn't bad at all. And if he dies then he can take a Leadership test to ignore that first death and keep going. That's pretty impressive.

Nevermind that, yeah, either version of Valten on horseback is better than taking the plastic Karl Franz and sticking him on a horse. Although getting a second Deathclaw kit isn't an issue for me, as I already have two on account of wanting one for Karl Franz and another for the Amber Wizard.