PDA

View Full Version : Converting a friend to warhams

MOMUS
21-03-2015, 19:47
How do you peeps go about converting a friend to play?

I have an old friend who regularly played 40k with me back in the day, I was thinking the 9th release could be an excellent time to get him into the game.
What tactics did you guys use to get your friends on the plastic crack?

infamousme
21-03-2015, 20:09
Same way I convince them to try any drug. Give them some of mine first and then the addiction kicks in.

Adam_Barrow
21-03-2015, 20:48
Mordheim! Population: Awesome

Just Tony
21-03-2015, 23:30
Either have them watch a tabletop game, or gateway them in through a video game. Dawn of War helped me get quite a few people I deployed with into 40K

Sotek
21-03-2015, 23:39
To be fair if you can convince them to drop 400 on plastic that needs another 100 of rules to play and is horrendously unbalanced then you should become a salesman.

Spiney Norman
22-03-2015, 00:13
How do you peeps go about converting a friend to play?

I have an old friend who regularly played 40k with me back in the day, I was thinking the 9th release could be an excellent time to get him into the game.
What tactics did you guys use to get your friends on the plastic crack?

That rather depends on what 9th edition is like, if half the rumours so far have any merit to them I'm going to have a hard time convincing myself to play, let alone anyone else.

Speaking more generally (say for example if I was trying to convert a new lotr SBG player), I'd talk to them about why the game was so great, then I'd offer to take them through a game with my models and show them why it was so great, then I might give them some models to get started on from my immense store of models-I-will-probably-never-get-around-to-painting-and-don't-really-need-anyway and maybe offer painting advice or offer to meet up for a joint painting sesh.

eron12
22-03-2015, 03:46
I wouldn't, the most I can do in good conscience is explain what I enjoy about the hobby and warn them about the cost. I would feel bad if I tried to convince someone to start.

Stegadeth
22-03-2015, 04:03
I bought two armies for Kings of War. A friend and his wife came over today to hang out and play some cards. They are also in my D&D game that I run. I know my friend loves Dwarfs, so I left an assembled army out on a side table and he immediately went over and began looking at them. I explained a little about the units as he picked up models. Then he saw the rule book and picked it up and asked about the stat lines. I explained how easy the game is and when he left, I gave him one of the free mini rule books that comes in so many Kings of War box sets. He was very interested.

My suggestion? Two armies. One for someone to try out, one for you to play, and demo the game.

Spiney Norman
22-03-2015, 04:07
I bought two armies for Kings of War. A friend and his wife came over today to hang out and play some cards. They are also in my D&D game that I run. I know my friend loves Dwarfs, so I left an assembled army out on a side table and he immediately went over and began looking at them. I explained a little about the units as he picked up models. Then he saw the rule book and picked it up and asked about the stat lines. I explained how easy the game is and when he left, I gave him one of the free mini rule books that comes in so many Kings of War box sets. He was very interested.

My suggestion? Two armies. One for someone to try out, one for you to play, and demo the game.

And if you want to improve your chances of success on that one, follow the above procedure when the wife is not present. I know my wife goes into full-on damage-limitation mode whenever a new game is mentioned, she knows me too well.

Stegadeth
22-03-2015, 04:09
And if you want to improve your chances of success on that one, follow the above procedure when the wife is not present. I know my wife goes into full-on damage-limitation mode whenever a new game is mentioned, she knows me too well.

Yes, know your audience. Fortunately, my friend's wife does not mind my buddy spending money. She's a gamer, as I mentioned, and is as likely to play as he is. :D