PDA

View Full Version : Anyone own any of these Sabol army transport cases?

The Emperor
30-06-2006, 20:10
http://www.thewarstore.com/sabolarmytransportfigurecases.html

Just wondering if anyone owns any, as I'm considering ordering some.

I'd like a case which is capable of carrying approximately 40-50 troops, a dozen bikes or so, as well as a couple Rhino chassis vehicles and one Land Raider. So are these any good? And if so, which one would you folks suggest for my needs? Thanks.

Colonel_Kreitz
30-06-2006, 20:38
I have one and I LOVE it (I'm thinking of getting a second in fact). I still use my GW issue case for infantry, simply because I already owned one and all the holes for the men are precut. However, for anything larger than a regular infantryman (cavalry, monstrous creatures, tanks) the Sabol case is a dream come true. It's also great for oddly shaped infantry (standard bearers, terminators, etc.).

Personally, if I hadn't bought a GW case first, I'd use nothing but Sabol. They have good capacity for tanks and if you fill it with nothing by 1" trays, I think you can get 10 or 11 trays in case, which translates to at least 100 normal sized infantrymen (probably a lot more to be honest, though I use mine for tanks, so I'm unsure of infantry capacity).

Warboss Grimmtoof
30-06-2006, 20:44
That is a lot of stuff for one case. each of the 1.5 inch foams can carry approxomately 15-20 man sized figures , while the 2.5 can carry a land raider and a dread or two, or 2-3 rhino chassis vehicles. It sounds like you may need an extra case. The foam roughly sizes up to 2 1.5 inch sheets to each 2.5 inch sheet (he bottom is not counted so they end up being a little bigger than said. The normal case can hold 10 sheets or the equivalent in bigger foam sheets. I have no bikes so I cant say anything about them, but i believe you should be able to fit about 8 on one sheet. The cases are awesome and work wonderfully. I bought 2 because they are so good, and put the GW cases to shame.:D

cerealkiller195
30-06-2006, 20:53
i recommend and if it comes from the warstore i doubly recommend it. The case is great i'm thinking of getting a small one also when i don't need to bring 2-3 armies.

The Emperor
30-06-2006, 20:55
Well, I got a wee bit impatient and went ahead and ordered the motor pool transport.

ARMYTRANSPORT MOTOR POOL
Sabol Designs, Inc. is proud to introduce the AMRYTRANSPORT MOTOR POOL.

This new figure case is a valuable addition to the ARMYTRANSPORT product line!

It features two front pockets for storing dice, pens etc.. AND a larger zippered pocked for rulebooks. The mesh pocket on the outside is an added convenience for paperwork, books etc.....

The ARMYTRANSPORT MOTOR POOL holds our figure foam trays SIDE BY SIDE, with a great configuration of trays included for storing larger models. Perfect for tanks, vehicles, dragons and other large models. The two handle straps have a "velcro" closure to make carrying easy.

The following SIX trays are included with this great new case!
~ 1 x 4" TRAY
~ 2 x 3" TRAYS
~ 2 x 2.5" TRAYS
~ 1 x 1" TRAYS

It likely isn't big enough to carry the army I'm building (I've got enough to form one Battle Company as well as scads of Scouts, Terminators, and left-overs for other Companies, along with a pair of Whirlwinds, Predators, and a Land Raider Crusader). But then again, I'm not gonna be fighting with most of that army at once, so who cares? I just need something big enough to carry a 2,000 point force to the gaming table.

Sekhmet
30-06-2006, 21:02
2,000 pts is easilly carried by the normal army transport thing. I could probably fit 4000 pts if I used all my foam trays (about half aren't cut out right now, just sitting at the bottom for rigidity). The Motorpool case is HUGE. Like... HUGE.

ReDavide
30-06-2006, 23:07
I own one of their older versions. The shoulder strap was stitched straight onto the bag's flimsy vinyl covering and had torn huge gashes down the side within a few weeks of purchase.

Their newer versions are much improved though, and are well reinforced. Just don't buy a used one unless you get a look at it first.

I find the trays are more useful for vehicles than for infantry. Vehicles tend to be large & square, and so can take good advantage of the variable tray heights. Infantry, though, tend to have little pokey parts here & there, and the Sabol trays' firm undersides can stress the models unless you're willing to sacrifice carrying capacity for tray height. GW trays' bottoms are squishier and so can accomodate a variety of infantry shapes without any trouble.

The Orange
30-06-2006, 23:23
I have one, the original style they had. Got it at a good price too, off of ebay (from the people tha make it, too), before they became more popular. I easily have at least 1500 pts of Tau in it, and I still have enough room for 1 and a half of those 2 1/2' trays to fill in it. With a little work, and some planning, you can really cram in a lot. I can fit 30 Fire Warriors in a 1" tray (partly because 6 models are crouching), and I can fit 23 kroot in another 1" tray (thier quite tall, and have a ton of point spiky bits sticking out in all sorts of directions (that was quite a tough one to plan out actually but I got it to work).

NakedFisherman
01-07-2006, 00:12
The normal Army Transports are awesome, but the Motor Pool variants are the worst of the line. The trays fall apart because they don't fit snugly inside the case. They also push up against adjacent trays, causing needless friction.

kenshin
01-07-2006, 01:15
They are great cases. I have a variation of one..... I went for a group buy a couple years ago with the peeps at B&C and ended up with a really sweet custom case that can fit (if I remember correctly) 22-24" of those trays. Looks a heck of alot nicer too than the normal sabol too hehe :D

Quin 242
01-07-2006, 01:25
They are great cases. I have a variation of one..... I went for a group buy a couple years ago with the peeps at B&C and ended up with a really sweet custom case that can fit (if I remember correctly) 22-24" of those trays. Looks a heck of alot nicer too than the normal sabol too hehe :D

I got one of those too and it is massive!!! Just wish the pocket was on the standing side and not on the flap side :(

At any rate.. because i got the B&C case I now have an Army transport for sale.. Like new. It does have my last name written on it in silver sharpy but a bumper sticker or two would cover that :) Or if you like I could color it in completely in a perfect box and a black sharpy would have a great place to put YOUR name on it.
It's the newer version with the strapping that goes under the case to hold the weight and the strap connected at buckles on the sides so it doesn't break the fabric.

Warstore wants $27.00 for an empty one.. save a couple bucks and ask for mine :) $24 + shipping.
PM me.

EmperorsChamp01
01-07-2006, 01:37
I own one of the Motor Pool Cases and it rocks. It holds all 3 of my IG tanks (Bassie, Russ, ANd hellhound) 75 IG guys. A Crusader. 11 terminators. 3 ten man squads of SM. They are great but be sure to have a plan on how your going to tear out the places for your guys.

Orbital
01-07-2006, 01:51
I have two platoon cases that clip together, and they're doing the job nicely. The good things are that your models travel on their backs (so they're less likely to rattle around), the foam is customizable, there's lots of room for models as well, you can get trays that are deep so you can store larger models than you ever could in a GW case, lots of pockets all over for storing dice, books, whatever.

The only down side is that you have to huck all the foam trays out if you want to get to the one on the bottom. There's a case by Reaper Mini (http://www.reapermini.com/pdf/RM_case.pdf) that has the same kind of design as the Sabol, but the whole front panel can be unzipped to make it easy to get a whole block of trays out at a time. I'd look into those before I made my final decision. Another down side (and I think this applies to the Reaper case as well) is that the foam trays are really expensive. I've been wanting to get more trays, but I just can't afford to yet.

the spook
01-07-2006, 01:54
I don't know about the Sabol bags, but i did buy one of the bigger cases from http://www.charonproductions.com/shop/ these guys, and i found it to be exceptional, which ample space for books & dice as well as individual figures as well as vehicles.

roachvan
01-07-2006, 06:04
I have a motorpool, a battlion, 2 normal cases, and 4 platoons.
I like the platoons. you can just clip them together and go. and as your army grows you just buy another one.

Orbital
01-07-2006, 06:07
Oh! One thing I really like about these cases...

I often go to the local GW to paint there. I couldn't find a decent box for my paint pots, brushes, etc... so I used one of the trays in my Army Transport. Pulled out blocks of foam to fit perfectly 8 pots of paint, two bottles of glue, about 8 brushes and a little space for Green Stuff.

It worked so well, I started thinking... when I play games at the local store, I often have a hard time finding space for my wallet, my iPod, my keys, my digital camera.. so I used a tray for those as well. Now, when I play, my stuff is in my Army Transport, nice and safe.

The Purple Ninja
01-07-2006, 08:10
Shortly after viewing that link, I ordered a Battalion case, one of each size foam tray, an additional two 1" trays, and a paint tray.

"...for the discriminating wargamer" - that's me!

Though I must admit what really sold me was the purple foam.

The Emperor
01-07-2006, 09:00
It worked so well, I started thinking... when I play games at the local store, I often have a hard time finding space for my wallet, my iPod, my keys, my digital camera.. so I used a tray for those as well. Now, when I play, my stuff is in my Army Transport, nice and safe.

LOL! BRILLIANT! :D

shakespear
01-07-2006, 20:15
I have one, I store all of my armies, for all of the systems I play in the trays. Then I put what I am playing with in the transport and head to the store.

Acolyte
01-07-2006, 20:27
On the topic of foam trays, does anybody know a website or store that sells different sizes of that cubed foam, or trays that'll fit snugly inside a 17" x 12" case? I've got a bunch of these metal cases from Canadian tire that I use, but the original foam has since self-destructed and, well, sucked to begin with.

The Purple Ninja
01-07-2006, 21:18
On the topic of foam trays, does anybody know a website or store that sells different sizes of that cubed foam, or trays that'll fit snugly inside a 17" x 12" case? I've got a bunch of these metal cases from Canadian tire that I use, but the original foam has since self-destructed and, well, sucked to begin with.

Well, the armytransport foam trays are 14", if you place them along the 17" section and use either spare foam, filler foam (http://www.saboldesigns.net/figurefoam.php), army books, or what have you to fill in the gaps, you could still get some pretty decent use out of those cases.

Would take a little work, but it would be worth it methinks.

Witch Hunter
02-07-2006, 00:03
The Warstore is the best online retailer, bar none. The Sabol cases are in the same category, IMO. Own one of each Platoon, Army Transport, and Motor Pool and wouldn't trade them for anything.

bladestalker
12-07-2006, 18:54
they are pretty good cases.