PDA

View Full Version : Can you start playing with the starter set

Imperator64
24-03-2015, 17:22
Are there some basic stats for the armies contained in dark vengeance so that you can strt playing without having to buy the codecies?

Beppo1234
24-03-2015, 19:02
everything you need to play a regular game of 40k is in the box, except for a legal loyalist battle-force. For that you'll need one extra troops option or a new single HQ (belial or Sammael) for the marines to be a legal force. I believe the Chaos side is ready to go.

if the FOC doesn't matter to you, then both forces can be used out of the box unbound.

Imperator64
24-03-2015, 19:31
Does it have the stats for the troops?

Plague Lord
24-03-2015, 20:39
It does exactly what it says on the tin!

Beppo1234
24-03-2015, 21:01
you get a full, small sized format big rule book, and a smaller how to play DV book. Between the two of them, you should have everything you need to use those models...to go beyond that, you'll need Codex DA and/or Codex CSM.

AndrewGPaul
25-03-2015, 11:34
everything you need to play a regular game of 40k is in the box, except for a legal loyalist battle-force. For that you'll need one extra troops option or a new single HQ (belial or Sammael) for the marines to be a legal force. I believe the Chaos side is ready to go.

if the FOC doesn't matter to you, then both forces can be used out of the box unbound.

Does Codex: Dark Angels allow you to field the Tactical Marines in two separate five-man squads?

WarsmithGarathor94
25-03-2015, 11:39
Does Codex: Dark Angels allow you to field the Tactical Marines in two separate five-man squads?

Yes it does

Bloodknight
25-03-2015, 11:59
IIRC the loyalist Space Marines have more points in the box. They start with about 100 points extra over the CSM if you just use the models WYSIWYG without upgrades from the codex. When you're done upgrading you can play about 1000 points of DA against 750ish of CSM, so you might want to take that into account.

WarsmithGarathor94
25-03-2015, 12:01
Yeah you really need to give the csm more points

Grand Master Raziel
25-03-2015, 15:54
The Dark Angels force also includes 2 HQ choices. If you take just one that narrows the gap.

I believe it is legal to field a 5-man Tac Squad with a heavy weapon, so the 10 Tac Marines can be 2 legal Troops choices. Another alternative - the Company Master mini can stand in for Azrael and be WYSIWYG. Under the current Codex: Dark Angels, Azrael lets you field both Terminators and Bikes as Troops choices.

SuperHappyTime
25-03-2015, 16:32
No you cannot play with just what's in the starter set. You will also need a tube of superglue ;).

The Dark Angels force also includes 2 HQ choices. If you take just one that narrows the gap.

I believe it is legal to field a 5-man Tac Squad with a heavy weapon, so the 10 Tac Marines can be 2 legal Troops choices. Another alternative - the Company Master mini can stand in for Azrael and be WYSIWYG. Under the current Codex: Dark Angels, Azrael lets you field both Terminators and Bikes as Troops choices.

You would need the codex for Azrael. I believe you can run the Librarian, Termies and Tac Marines as is (split the Tac Marine Squad) as a legal 500 point squad (choose your items) against the entirety of the CSM force for a 500 point battle.

Sephillion
25-03-2015, 16:47
If you want to play DA it’s a great start. CSM… not so much. The sculpts are amazing though, so if all you care is good looking models you’ll be set. And the box is worth it for the DA alone and the mini-rulebook.

In the 6th edition version, you had all the stats needed to play a regular game, but no points value, which was the one ridiculous thing about the box (can’t use it against your friends existing force without knowing how much your guys are worth!).

Bloodknight
25-03-2015, 17:36
I don't know, the CSM models are pretty great, which is why I bought the box. But I agree that in the long run, if you're interested in a competitive army, really only the cultists are worth having from the box, no matter how awesome the Chosen and the Lord look. Not commenting on the Helbrute here, it's alright, I guess, not my cup of tea (I like the one from the 90s and the FW models better).

toonboy78
25-03-2015, 17:56
you don't need to split the tactical squad for a "legal" list.

additionally the box comes with a few scenarios so you can play the game and get to know the rules progressively

NoobLord
25-03-2015, 18:59
Can the heavy weapons cultists be used in a normal non-DV cultist squad? I ask because the 6 man cultist box contains no HW as far as I can see.

Bloodknight
25-03-2015, 21:52
Yes. You can use one heavy weapon cultist (flamer or MG) per 10 guys in a Codex CSM cultist squad. The 5 man box is a different sprue, 3x autogun and 2x autopistol/ccw.

NoobLord
25-03-2015, 21:58
Thanks bloodknight. I meant the 5 man box of course, not 6.