PDA

View Full Version : Schleich High Elf Eagles

tenpole
30-03-2015, 12:10
I dont know if the current 8th edition high elf army list has the great eagle but I was looking for a pair for a 6th edition set of rules I am using. I found the GW ones were extremely expensive like all their stuff and nothing was going cheap on ebay. I am not even sure if I like the GW figure, there are hardly any pictures of it next to units.
While I was in toyrus I was looking at a set of plastics by Schleich, their fantasy range was the interest that caught me. While looking through their zoo and wildlife range I came across an American bald eagle figure which kind of looks about the right scale ish for a replacement HE Great Eagle.
I bought one anyway. Has anyone else used this figure for their great eagles? Were you fine with it or did it make you feel dirty?
I would have liked to compare it to the GW Whfb figures and even compare this to the Lotr eagles.

Cutter
30-03-2015, 12:14
I dont know if the current 8th edition high elf army list has the great eagle but I was looking for a pair for a 6th edition set of rules I am using. I found the GW ones were extremely expensive like all their stuff and nothing was going cheap on ebay. I am not even sure if I like the GW figure, there are hardly any pictures of it next to units.
While I was in toyrus I was looking at a set of plastics by Schleich, their fantasy range was the interest that caught me. While looking through their zoo and wildlife range I came across an American bald eagle figure which kind of looks about the right scale ish for a replacement HE Great Eagle.
I bought one anyway. Has anyone else used this figure for their great eagles? Were you fine with it or did it make you feel dirty?
I would have liked to compare it to the GW Whfb figures and even compare this to the Lotr eagles.

They do a great line in Lizardman 'heavies' as well :-)

Yowzo
30-03-2015, 12:20

I already own enough GW metal eagles, but lots of people do use them. The first one to do surely caused a few raised eyebrows, but not anymore.

tenpole
31-03-2015, 08:42
40mm base for them?

ewar
31-03-2015, 10:38
50mm base. I think the GW eagle is pretty terrible, though the LOTR ones are lovely.

Lord Dan
31-03-2015, 12:32
the LOTR ones are lovely.

I've been looking for an excuse to pick those up for a while now.

ewar
31-03-2015, 13:06
I've been looking for an excuse to pick those up for a while now.

Agreed, I'm going to get a pair for my wood elves, it's just faaaaaaar down the purchasing priority list, as there are lots of models I need to get which I suspect will be discontinued in the next few months.

tenpole
31-03-2015, 18:23
Are the lotr eagles a bit too small or is the scale fine? (relative to warhammer figures)

Seelenhaendler
31-03-2015, 19:15
Are the lotr eagles a bit too small or is the scale fine? (relative to warhammer figures)

They are perfectly fine.
If anything, they are too big :)

Lord Dan
31-03-2015, 19:27
They are perfectly fine.
If anything, they are too big :)

For a change, yeah, those LoTR Eagles are actually bigger than the metal Fantasy ones.

tenpole
31-03-2015, 20:03
Does anyone have pictures with the eagles next to some units. The official high elf eagle is 15.50, I assume this is resin. It does not look so good. I would stick to the Schleich model. GW want 30 for the two lotr great eagles but they do look good.

tenpole
09-04-2015, 07:51
Update for 6th edition the official listed base size in 40mm.
So I made a base out of putty rather than paying a fortune for the GW bases.

zoggin-eck
09-04-2015, 13:59
Does anyone have pictures with the eagles next to some units. The official high elf eagle is 15.50, I assume this is resin. It does not look so good. I would stick to the Schleich model. GW want 30 for the two lotr great eagles but they do look good.

Typing the name of the model and the name of the game into Google image search come up with enough. The most useful is probably:

http://www.youmagnificentbastards.com/2013/04/wood-elf-eagles-lotr-models.html

Same with Schleich?

http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44681&sid=4ac1911f0591107383ca570b31a88965

http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=28075

Eagles must be the easiest model to represent with other models though. Some larger, some smaller, I can think of a dozen or so just off the top of my head. I'd go for any large enough flying model. A Reaper Bones griffon or similar monster flying around on its own in an elf army is clearly going to be an eagle.

Update for 6th edition the official listed base size in 40mm.
So I made a base out of putty rather than paying a fortune for the GW bases.

Well, there are hundreds of alternatives so I'm not sure why anyone would pay a fortune for GW ones. 50mm square the most recent elf eagle model, not that it really makes much difference.

tenpole
09-04-2015, 19:44
Good finds zoggin-eck.